Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Muscle soreness, time off or ride through it

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 01:08 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll preface this by saying, yes I know, I should talk to a doctor but I thought I'd run it by all you folks first.

I ride pretty much daily and I typically ride pretty hard. I live in the mountains so it is hard to avoid climbs and I generally hammer them out of the saddle much of the time. In fact that's my favorite part of most rides. I take very little time for recovery or stretching but I've always been that way. So, no surprise at 50+, I have some extreme muscle soreness inside my right thigh which occasionally radiates an arthritic type of pain down the leg. It is very tender and feels bruised. I've finally decided I better take some time off. Part of the problem may be the right leg compensating for the left which has had a couple hip replacements. Also, it doesn't hurt at all on the bike which I find strange. That may be another reason for the problem. I don't have any pain which would immediately make me back off. I've been able to ride on.

Anyway, the question. Have any of you experienced this feeling of tender bruised muscles. When you do, do you take time off or focus more on warm up and stretching? Do you ice them, massage them, heat them? Rub on some pre ride warm up stuff maybe?

At our age, do you worry some of these aches and pains are just gonna stay with you forever and you just have to learn to live with it? I know I worry a bit that something could happen physically that would keep me off the bike and I really can't bear the thought of that. I bet a lot of you are the same.

So there ya go, a whole bunch of issues dealing with age and pain. Please discuss.
Old 06-26-07, 01:14 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Rub some dirt on it and it'll go away.

You will recieve some dissertations here shortly. A quick summary:
--if it hurts, back off a bit.
--if it hurts a lot, see a physical therapist or a physician.
RICE after a ride:
Rest
Ice
Compression (Wraps, probably not that important)
Elevation.

Vitamin A (Advil) if you don't have any stomach or kidney issues.

Lots of beer and ice cream might help. Just don't take them together.
Old 06-26-07, 04:35 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
You will recieve some dissertations here shortly. ...
Bite the offending part off and spit it out. You don't need it.

Sorry, thats all I've got.
Old 06-26-07, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Lots of beer and ice cream might help. Just don't take them together.
Huh??? Ever tried a beer float? Superb. Carbs and protein in every gulp.
Old 06-26-07, 05:25 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil

So there ya go, a whole bunch of issues dealing with age and pain. Please discuss.
Is this going to be on the final?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-26-07, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's your bike fit?

It would be worth it to have that checked out.
Old 06-26-07, 09:15 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
every now and then I get to that same place, legs are just achy screamin at me. If I don't ride it seems to take MUCH longer to recover. I just ride it off. Not your avg recovery ride, really small twiddlin gear (low 60s) at 75 rpm, no higher, no real hills, back off even further on any upgrades, no higher than 120 on the HRM better at 110, for 1 hour. light icing after the ride for maybe 10 min. and then a very even, not heavy self-massage about 2 or 3 hours after that and some very light overall stretching which sometimes is laying on the carpet and melting into it. Couple of IBUs just before bed.
3 sometimes 4 days of that and I'm ready to go again.
Oh, and lotsa hydration... thatz always been my worst thing; I don;t think I ever really stay hydrated as well as I should - just so easy to overlook
Old 06-26-07, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
every now and then I get to that same place, legs are just achy screamin at me. If I don't ride it seems to take MUCH longer to recover. I just ride it off. Not your avg recovery ride, really small twiddlin gear (low 60s) at 75 rpm, no higher, no real hills, back off even further on any upgrades, no higher than 120 on the HRM better at 110, for 1 hour. light icing after the ride for maybe 10 min. and then a very even, not heavy self-massage about 2 or 3 hours after that and some very light overall stretching which sometimes is laying on the carpet and melting into it. Couple of IBUs just before bed.
3 sometimes 4 days of that and I'm ready to go again.
Oh, and lotsa hydration... thatz always been my worst thing; I don;t think I ever really stay hydrated as well as I should - just so easy to overlook
Same here.
When the legs are screamin', the next day I take a 10-15 mile slow paced ride and the recovery is almost immediate. I ride the 520 for these rather than the CF roadie, since one time a JAB blew by me while riding the Trek 5200 on one of these recovery rides and he said, "What a waste of a bike." What a jackass..
Old 06-26-07, 09:44 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the comments and good point about the water. That is something else I've never been good at staying on top of.
Old 06-26-07, 09:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
At our age, do you worry some of these aches and pains are just gonna stay with you forever and you just have to learn to live with it? I know I worry a bit that something could happen physically that would keep me off the bike and I really can't bear the thought of that. I bet a lot of you are the same.

Looking back over the last year, I realize that I have lived through four major spills - 1) was right hooked by a driver - nothing broken, but god-awful bruising and soreness that lasted for six weeks, 2)attempted to avoid a ped during a downhill on a MUP . . . my fault, misjudged the curve and crash hard on my right shoulder (and whatever bones/muscles are contiguous to that area) . . . sore for weeks (talkin' 'bout not being able to pull on your T-shirt or lay on a sofa . . . really sore), 3)Took a corner too fast (10 mph) on a rainy evening braked for a car, slid out and totalled my bike (only the bike, my wallet, and ego were injured), 4) surprised by a car at a T-intersection when I was descending at a high rate of speed - "touched" the rear brakes (obviously too hard), lost control and landed on my left shoulder. Felt as though I might have broken my collar bone. Decided to wait a couple of days to see if the pain got better or worse. It got better, but slowly. Didn't visit a doctor, but, I'm telling you, I could not bear to rest my back against a chair back - that sucker was really sore. Forget pulling on or off a T-shirt.

Growing long story cut short - Right or wrong, I believe doctors are the course of last resort. I do normal maintenance doctoring (PSA, Colon, Cholesterol, Stress test, etc.), but, I don't run to them for non-life threatening injuries. I rode through that last shoulder/collarbone aggravation - today, it's almost non-evident.

As for sore muscles, I really don't worry about them.

Now, your mileage may vary greatly, and there is no right or wrong here. Do what feels right to you.

I for one don't worry too much about muscles soreness or even injuries. For the time being, my body still seems capable of healing itself.

YMMV, so do what feels right for you.

Good Luck,
Caruso
Old 06-26-07, 10:09 PM
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
As for sore muscles, I really don't worry about them.

Now, your mileage may vary greatly, and there is no right or wrong here. Do what feels right to you.

I for one don't worry too much about muscles soreness or even injuries. For the time being, my body still seems capable of healing itself.

YMMV, so do what feels right for you.
Ya, I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'm gonna take 2-3 days off and get right back to it. With the hills I have to ride though, it makes me wonder how long it will take for this soreness to go away. Maybe it would be wise to sit a bit more on hills and of course try to be a little better at warming up, stretching, and hydrating. Maybe you can get away without doing that when you're a kid but now...as if I didn't know that already.
Old 06-27-07, 05:20 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find soreness comes and goes and if my legs are tight at the beginning of a ride they generally will loosen up and the ride will be fine. So unless I had done some extra long or hard rides prior I would just ride through it.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-27-07, 06:32 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Growing long story cut short - Right or wrong, I believe doctors are the course of last resort. I do normal maintenance doctoring (PSA, Colon, Cholesterol, Stress test, etc.), but, I don't run to them for non-life threatening injuries. I rode through that last shoulder/collarbone aggravation - today, it's almost non-evident.
There's an entire clinic of physical therapists near my house, all of whom are serious bikers. If you can find such a crew, they're a very helpful resource to us old coots.
Old 06-27-07, 07:30 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
See your doc and get checked out. Asking this gang for med advice pre-doc visit for acute pain is a very bad idea since acute pain could be any number of bad things including a blood clot in your leg. Once the doc says yep, sore muscles do to blah blah then we can cast our pearls of wisdom upon you.
Old 06-27-07, 12:37 PM
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
See your doc and get checked out. Asking this gang for med advice pre-doc visit for acute pain is a very bad idea since acute pain could be any number of bad things including a blood clot in your leg. Once the doc says yep, sore muscles do to blah blah then we can cast our pearls of wisdom upon you.
Gotcha, but I wouldn't catergorize this as acute pain even though my post may have led one to believe that. I'm figuring it's 50+ soreness that many of us experience because we don't know when to back off.

And I certainly wouldn't base my entire diagnosis on this group alone, are you kidding? Look at us! A bunch of old farts playing on bicycles! I look at this as a harmless discussion of aging and soreness. What things work for you, what don't. As I mentioned in my opening, I know when to see a doctor.
Old 06-27-07, 02:01 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You gotta take a day off now and then, regularly. Working yourself every day without rest days won't improve your fitness, it will ultimately just tear you down. Ask any racer - rest days and recovery days are just as important as training days.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-27-07, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Once a week take a day off. While you are resting up the next couple days, take at least one long walk. You want to keep the blood flowing, same as a recovery ride would do.

Also, eat a bunch of fruit, especially pineapple, papaya, or kiwi. That will help.