Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Milestones

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 06:56 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Milestones

We all like to boast about our milestones, so here are two of mine:

The end of June was half way through the year, and my mileage was 955 (1528 km). That slightly exceeds the 1520 km I cycled by the end of June, 1980, which was my previous record. I had 3685 km (2303 miles) at the end of that year, when I was 35 and in the best shape of my life. If I keep up the pace I might beat it this year (there are more winter months in the first half of year). I am not nearly as strong, but I have more time.

I have owned 3 cars in my life; a 1970 Camaro (12 years, 110,000 miles), a 1982 Mercury (9 years, 130,000 miles), and my present vehicle, a 1991 Toyota (16 years so far, 207,000 miles). Now that I am retired I drive it about twice a week and go about 6 weeks between visits to the gas station. I am on a bike almost every day and use my city bike for all trips to the library, bakery, pub, bank, dentist, chiropractor, doctor, and most shopping.
Old 07-12-07, 08:01 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice milestones.

I'm hoping I can use the bike for more errands after I retire. One of the disadvantages of living in a rural area is often the doctor, dentist, etc are located in other towns and not easily accessed by bike. Fortunately this area has several bike paths that connect the smaller towns and it's getting easier each year to use the bike for something other than recreational riding.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-12-07, 09:49 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown

The end of June was half way through the year, and my mileage was 955 (1528 km). That slightly exceeds the 1520 km I cycled by the end of June, 1980, which was my previous record. I had 3685 km (2303 miles) at the end of that year, when I was 35 and in the best shape of my life. If I keep up the pace I might beat it this year (there are more winter months in the first half of year). I am not nearly as strong, but I have more time.

I have owned 3 cars in my life; a 1970 Camaro (12 years, 110,000 miles), a 1982 Mercury (9 years, 130,000 miles), and my present vehicle, a 1991 Toyota (16 years so far, 207,000 miles). Now that I am retired I drive it about twice a week and go about 6 weeks between visits to the gas station. I am on a bike almost every day and use my city bike for all trips to the library, bakery, pub, bank, dentist, chiropractor, doctor, and most shopping.
Those are great numbers, Ken! Congratulations!

BTW, I had a '69 Camaro. One of my favorite cars of all times!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-12-07, 10:55 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats, Ken. I'd also love to be able to do more of my errands on my bike. One of these days.....
Old 07-12-07, 12:04 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have owned 3 cars in my life; a 1970 Camaro (12 years, 110,000 miles), a 1982 Mercury (9 years, 130,000 miles), and my present vehicle, a 1991 Toyota (16 years so far, 207,000 miles).
Now that I am retired I drive it about twice a week and go about 6 weeks between visits to the gas station. I am on a bike almost every day and use my city bike for all trips to the library, bakery, pub, bank, dentist, chiropractor, doctor, and most shopping.
Great mileage. How many miles between meals are you getting?
Old 07-12-07, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Hey Ken, I took to riding, like a duck takes to water, but I'm always affraid, that my bike will get stolen if I leave it somewhere for to long. Anyhow congradulations on beating the car dealers out, and the riding as well, good luck.
Old 07-12-07, 07:21 PM
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beverley, I also am lucky enough to be a short walk from a subway.

DG, I paid $3550 for my Camaro and sold it 12 years later for $1200. That works out to less than $200 per year. I still love the look of the car, but it rusted badly.

Grampster, the question should be how many miles between pubs.

George, that is the reason I have a "city bike". It is my 30 year old 10-speed and is virtually unstealable.
Old 07-12-07, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Beverley, I also am lucky enough to be a short walk from a subway.

DG, I paid $3550 for my Camaro and sold it 12 years later for $1200. That works out to less than $200 per year. I still love the look of the car, but it rusted badly.

Grampster, the question should be how many miles between pubs.

George, that is the reason I have a "city bike". It is my 30 year old 10-speed and is virtually unstealable.

I knew I shouldn't have given my Trek to my kid.
Old 07-12-07, 07:31 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ken, I bought my '69 Camaro used from a dealer. I KNOW I bought it because the female salesperson told me "You look GOOD in that car!" I can't remember what I paid, but I do remember the payments were $47 a month. First car I ever financed.

Traded that car in for a (good God, what was I thinking?) 1973 Dodge Dart because I had gotten married and my wife couldn't manage the Hurst shifter in the Camaro. Paid $3,000 total for the Dart but it wasn't worth a quarter of that! Moved to California with it, and the steering wheel starting coming off in my hands (little pieces of it) when it got hot outside.

But I sure loved that Camaro. Sort of a British racing green color.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-12-07, 10:44 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!

Counting the days until I retire.......
Old 07-13-07, 10:41 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ken,
Consider it not boasting as that would be unseemly in those of our years. Consider it instead an aknowledgement, however public, of the completion of a milestone on the road to nirvana. This, in fact, adds a sense of spirituality to what might seem to some an inane activity. (pagans and the such) Ergo, it becomes not boasting and protects us from that sense of shame that often accompanies excessive pride.
p.s. Congrats on being halfway to nirvana!
Old 07-13-07, 01:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to have to print off rck's post for more study and meditation.
Old 07-13-07, 04:28 PM
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I'm going to have to print off rck's post for more study and meditation.
I have a faint idea of what it means, I think.
Old 07-13-07, 08:06 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
Ken,
Consider it not boasting as that would be unseemly in those of our years. Consider it instead an aknowledgement, however public, of the completion of a milestone on the road to nirvana. This, in fact, adds a sense of spirituality to what might seem to some an inane activity. (pagans and the such) Ergo, it becomes not boasting and protects us from that sense of shame that often accompanies excessive pride.
p.s. Congrats on being halfway to nirvana!
Except on Tuesdays when the train goes straight through.