Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The new bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The new bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 10:50 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The new bike

I got the new recumbent last week and have been trying to get used to the way it rides. It is quite a bit different than my other bikes. Starting, turning and stopping are still a wobbly deal but I have been providing some free entertainment for the neighbors. Once I got the camera working, I took a couple of photos... thought it would be best to do that before it gets scraped up. I've only fallen once but I can tell it ain't over yet.

Old 07-01-07, 03:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No wonder you keep falling off- and for no apparant reason as you aren't clipless yet. The Kick stand is down.

Not a lover of recumbents but that sure does look a Good ride. Different- but a good ride all the same.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-01-07, 06:14 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
There was a guy riding a recumbent in the group ride yesterday. I'm curious, how fast can those bikes go?
With those disc brakes and wide tires that looks like it could take on a MTB singe track trail. So are you going to ride cross country or technical?
Old 07-01-07, 10:51 AM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stapfam,
Those are Shimano M324 pedals; SPD on one side and platform on the other.

Rocco,
The fat tires are to give it a softer ride. Any off road riding is done in an attempt to regain control.
Old 07-01-07, 11:22 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
Stapfam,
Rocco,
Any off road riding is done in an attempt to regain control.
Old 07-01-07, 11:52 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
Any off road riding is done in an attempt to regain control.
Once you get the control thing mastered, please post lessons learned. I'm anxious to
get to the point of buying my first 'bent, and I'll need all the help I can get learning to
ride the thing.
Old 07-01-07, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode with Recumbent Ray yesterday. It was pretty funny hearing him squeal about midway through the low water crossing! Just sayin....
Old 07-01-07, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Balance is more critical on a short wheel base, and I couldn't master it, so I got a long wheel base. That's a sweet looking Rans you've got there. I like that blue. I think those chrome fenders look better on your bike than black ones would.

CrankyOldDude, go to The Bicycle Man in New York and test ride as many 'bents as you can. The bike will choose you.

https://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/recumbents.htm
Old 07-01-07, 01:37 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I rode with Recumbent Ray yesterday. It was pretty funny hearing him squeal about midway through the low water crossing! Just sayin....
Chalk one up for a conventional bike!!!!

Sorry about the pedals but If you must have them the wrong way round on the photo- What do you expect.

I tried a Recumbent- 3 times in fact- and as I am an offroader, although now with a bit of road aswell, There is no way I was going anywhere the edge of the road. Offroad on a recumbent- never seen one and there is a good reason. Mind you there is one idiot in my area that rides a Uni-Cycle offroad up on our hills.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-06-07, 02:18 PM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Once you get the control thing mastered, please post lessons learned. I'm anxious to
get to the point of buying my first 'bent, and I'll need all the help I can get learning to
ride the thing.
Lot's of good Ol' Recumbent folks in Rochester. Best place for a selection of Recumbents is Peter down at the Bicycle Man in Alfred Station. https://www.bicycleman.com/

You'd be surprised at the number of shops that have begun embracing Recumbents FINALLY!

My Rans Rocket is available for test rides if you'd like to see that...
Old 07-06-07, 08:02 PM
lunatic fringe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ride the thing.

I wouldn't say I've got the control thing mastered but I can get in a 12 mile ride without hurting anyone (self included). It does get easier every time out. I have been relying heavily on help from online forums as I continue on this adventure.

You might want to have a look at these threads:

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...387#post269387

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ad.php?t=30850

https://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/314353-learning-turn.html

There are a lot of good tips there. I think the most important thing is to hang in there, it gets better and easier as time goes on.
Old 07-06-07, 09:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My year on a recumbent (Rans lwb) was a kicker...1998. Except for one guy on my side of town who knocked one off in his garage using photos of a TourEasy, very rare around here then. I never felt comfortable in traffic because down low I couldn't see as well and I couldn't stand up and look over my shoulder. Uphills were like a hyperactive hummingbird spinning low gears. Ahhh, but on the endless rollers east of town....shazam-- Get up to speed and the Rans would just flatten them out with aero speed on the downhill and lots of momentum on the ups. Longer climbs went up like a garden snail, and down like a bowling ball.
Old 07-07-07, 06:54 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm anxious to get to the point of buying my first 'bent, and I'll need all the help I can get learning to ride the thing.
Meet up with RARE, the Rochester Area Recumbent Enthusiasts. They can be reliably found on the Sunday morning Hell Bent for Breakfast ride. Contact info on the HB4B page.
Old 07-07-07, 09:31 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never ridden a SWB bent. Have to try out one sometime. My LWB bent has pretty well a zero learning curve. Just jump on and go. Heavier and longer than SWB bents or uprights, but do fair on hills and is great on the flats and downhills. I'm far from being any kind of a jock but seem to do 50 -100 mile rides pretty well in the middle of the pack or pretty close to the top 1/3 of a pack of average riders.
Discussing bike prefences is a bit like discussing who has the best pickup, car, hunting dog, small airplace, etc. Everybody has their own preference. Always interesting to see all the pros and cons discussed.