Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Slow pulse rate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slow pulse rate

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 08:40 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow pulse rate

I just visited the fantastic site shared in the "Fear" discussion, https://www.roadid.com. They offer an assortment of identification bands and tags for athletes to provide ID and other important information to medical personnel. The site also provides sample text ideas for identification.

I was surprised to see the recommendation to indicate "Low Pulse Rate", or LPR, for people with a lower than normal HR. Mine has always been lower than normal, even when I was horribly out of shape and didn't exercise. Now that I am *much* more active, it's even lower.

In one of the forums here (maybe this one, I'm not sure) I read comments from cyclists who expressed concern about not being able to raise their HR to a certain point. I'm guessing that their heart is in such good shape that it takes more effort to raise the rate to a desired point during a workout... ???

My dad (age 87) has atrial fibrillation, a slow resting HR, and low BP. I was told that there is a subtle relationship between slow pulse rates and a-fib.

My point, is that I never realized there may be a down side to a slow HR. I suppose that if I go into shock, my pulse will go even slower which would mean poor blood profusion to the brain and other important body parts.

Can anyone explain other consequences of a slow resting heart rate? I also have low BP (even when I was overweight and totally sedentary). I have always considered a slow HR and low BP like a home run out of the ballpark. Maybe this is not necessarily so?
Old 07-02-07, 08:45 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I never lose any sleep over my 43 BPM resting pulse rate and 160 BPM peak pulse rate.

As long as you have a 40-point spread between the systolic and diastolic readings, low blood pressure is a good thing; about the only disadvantage is the possibility of fainting when standing quickly.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-02-07, 08:54 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Yep. I'm not aware of a problem with "jogger's heart". You can see slow heart rates in conditions such as the Sick Sinus Syndrome which I'm guessing is what your dad had, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Myself, I get a kick out of seeing how low I can drop my resting pulse when I work out. When I was training for a marathon (which I never ran because plantar fasciitis), I got it into the high 40's, but now the best I can do is to get it into the low 50s.
Old 07-02-07, 08:59 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hayden was born on a bicycle?!
Old 07-02-07, 09:04 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also noticed that when I take my pulse, it tends to speed up while I am counting. It's like it has a mind of it's own and is playing games with me.

I don't believe I have a 40-point spread between the systolic and diastolic readings.... it's usually 30 points (90-something/60-something, 100-something/70-something...). Should I be worried?
Old 07-02-07, 09:10 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
No, you shouldn't be worried. If you are worried, talk with your healthcare provider for reassurance.
You don't pass out when you stand up, do you? Probably not.
Is your dad on medication, like digoxin/lanoxin, for the A Fib? That drug slows the heart rate.
Old 07-02-07, 09:34 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
No, you shouldn't be worried. If you are worried, talk with your healthcare provider for reassurance.
You don't pass out when you stand up, do you? Probably not.
Is your dad on medication, like digoxin/lanoxin, for the A Fib? That drug slows the heart rate.
No, I don't pass out when I stand up....

My dad's HR has always been slow, like mine. He is on a medication for his a-fib, but I don't know what it is.

There must be a good reason why it is recommended to indicate "slow pulse rate" on a medical ID tag. Could this be to alert the medical personnel that this person's HR is normally slow, and not due to a medical emergency?
Old 07-02-07, 09:42 PM
rebmeM roineS

Yes, that would be a reason to put "slow pulse rate" on a tag. It wouldn't be hugely important for a first responder or ER person to know, but it could be helpful info in a medical emergency, esp. if the patient is unable to communicate.
Old 07-02-07, 09:44 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it would be a good idea to indicate LPR in a medical ID. I have spent a good deal of time partaking of the health care system this spring and on several occasions, ambulance attendants, ER nurses and nurses at the hospital have expressed concern at my HR (45-50). They seem relieved when I tell them that I get a lot of exercise and ~50 is normal for me. I don't know if this would be a problem for the nurses if I was unconscious. I'm thinking about getting one of those ID tags myself.
Old 07-03-07, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My understanding is that when doping was more prevalent in the pro peleton (okay, I'm optimistic) they had to go around waking up riders during the night because there was concern that the EPO in addition to their already low pulse rates would cause them to "seize up".

I'm not a doc, but what dogbait says makes sense. I have one of those tags, but no warnings - just to ship my body back to the right place
Old 07-03-07, 12:57 PM
rebmeM roineS

A nasty side-effect of EPO is blood clots resulting in strokes, pulmonary emboli, etc.
I've never heard that a slow heart rate is a risk factor for same.