Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

queston for those on Hi blood pressure meds..

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

queston for those on Hi blood pressure meds..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 07:10 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I'm on a combo of 20mg Lotensin and 25mg Toprol-XL. It seems to work to keep my usual BP in the upper 120s/80, with occasional readings about 120/75 or so. I'm also a runner with a resting HR in the 40s, and these meds don't seem to affect my running or cycling. I also take 10mg Lipitor daily.

It did take a while to hit on this combo. On many BP meds (e.g. Lisinopril), I tend to get that problem where I get dizzy when standing up or after climbing steps. And I have enough issues with getting up in the night to pee that I don't need diuretics aggravating it. So far, this dosage has been working OK.

The basic theme here is that everyone is different and there are a lot of difference causes for high BP, so finding the right medication is always a trial-and-error process.
Old 07-10-07, 05:10 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, thanks to all who responded. Again, nothing has been recommended for me, other than interim visits (between my annual physical exams) to monitor my BP. The doc even noted that many people will have an elevated BP while in a doctor's office. Why? Because you're in the doctor's office, on the exam table, that's why.

Under the "old" standards, I was fine, but the "new" standards for BP seem to put a lot more people in the "we need to watch this" category.

My weight is fine. (6' 0", 160 pounds, thin build. Tend to lose about five pounds or so, over the course of a typical summer) One thing I have done: I switched to decaffeinated coffee and tea. It was a "little rough" at first, but now I don't miss the morning jolt at all. Sanka is actually quite good, once you get used to it.
Old 07-10-07, 05:41 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
The problem with the diuretics is that some can trigger gout.

I was on one of the diuretics for a couple years and then suddenly could not walk or do anything involving my feet... very painful. I am now only on Atenolol and Benazipril and low dose asprin.

The funny thing with these BP meds is the more I exercise (and cycling really does it) the more light headed I get as my BP goes down.
Old 07-10-07, 09:15 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I've been on Lisinopril for about 6 years. If there are any side effects that affect my cycling, I'm not aware of them. I did have the cough a little originally, but it was no big deal.

Old 07-11-07, 12:19 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Yours is a very typical experience. For me, losing a little extra body fat and reducing the total fat/oil content in my diet was all I needed to pull my BP into the safe range from borderline hypertensive.
My experience also. At 55 I was under a lot of stress and 25 lbs over weight. Losing 20 lbs through increased cycling versus excessive dieting. Had never had a history of HBP and hope to never again. I used low doses of Altace for about 6 months with no adverse effects.
Old 07-11-07, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 53 years old and been on Atenolol 100mgs Monopril 10/12.5 and tricor for cholesterol. I find sometimes they make me too tired to ride so I don't. But when I push myself I have been riding faster then ever. I had taken 8 years off from riding started again this summer bought a new bike a colnago. It could be the bike why I'm riding faster. The only other side effect I feel is I'm thirsty all the time Monopril is part ace inhibitor and part water pill.
Old 07-12-07, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Atenolol 50mg once a day. I haven't really noticed any serious side effects. I am never going to be a pro cyclist, so any small reduction in my abilities is more than offset by the positive results. BP was 161/110 when diagnosed, now runs mid 120's over mid to higher 70's. My perscription ran out and I had an appointment to see the doc in two weeks, so thought what the heck. Yeah, WTF was more like it, it was 156/101 when I went to see him. I filled the script and went back on it and 120's/70's almost immediatley. The high diastolic rather frightened me, so I determined to not let a lapse like that occur again. Anyhoo, just my experiences.
Old 07-12-07, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm on Hyzaar. It contains a diuretic; nevertheless, no side effects. After two years riding, the bp was sufficiently low that we cut the dosage in half.