Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

good things come to those who wait...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...right?

My new bike is on backorder until late August. I have a sneaking hunch it will take even longer, though.

I toyed w/the idea of getting a specialized Ruby, which was immediately available. It's an equally awesome bike, actually comes spec'd better than the one I'm getting.

But then I remembered how much I loved the feel of the Serotta steel frame and my better angels told me that good things are worth waiting for.

So, no instant gratification for Mom, but I know it will be all that much sweeter when I finally get my new ride home.

Colleen
Old 07-09-07, 05:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a great bike.

That long wait will be a tough one.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-09-07, 05:11 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a very nice bike to me. With the combination of steel and carbon it should ride very nice. The wait will be worth it once you get it.
Old 07-09-07, 08:25 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike. What color did you choose?

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-09-07, 08:40 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you go in for a custom fitting prior to ordering?
Old 07-09-07, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I had the Trek Fx 7300 and now the Jamis, steel, night and day. It will be worth the wait.
Old 07-10-07, 04:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the "moto yellow" which is a deeper yellow, very pretty. Instead of 23c tires, I am getting 25's. It will have an Ultegra/105 mix on components.

I did have the Serotta fitting, I posted about that a while back. 2 1/2 hours w/the fitter on this sawed-off "fit cycle" and massage table (to measure flexibility, but at these prices I should have gotten a massage, too!) and I ended up fitting a 52 short frame perfectly, I'm 5' 7 1/2" and fairly long legged w/a somewhat shorter reach.

One of the problems I've had w/my Trek 7.5fx in a 20" frame is that the reach is pretty far and I have hand numbness nearly constantly in varying degrees. If that problem persists w/my new bike I think I might have to go see a surgeon and get the carpal tunnel repaired. We'll see

George, did you decide to wait and get the Rivendell? I heard that the Bleriot is a great all-around bike, readily available and has quite a following, if you can accept the 650b tire size. https://www.tfl.net/Bleriot/bleriot_bro.pdf I considered switching to one when my Serotta was backordered, but ultimately I know that I would regret not getting the Serotta. But at some point I would love to have one, and the price is pretty affordable. It sounds perfect for the kind of riding I do.

Colleen

Last edited by momof4greatkids; 07-10-07 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-10-07, 05:50 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good choice! It will definitely be worth the wait. There is something to be said for having a bike that is not like everyone else's.
Old 07-10-07, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When doctor j and I were out riding we hooked up with another fellow a little older than us. He was on an absoulutely beautiful Serotta. He seemed to be quite a rider, in great shape, handling hills with the greatest of ease and really just loafing along effortlessly. Then I noticed somebody stole a bunch of his gears! His bike was a 10 speed, and the single chain ring was HUGE. There must be something magic about that sort of bike.

I'll bet yours is worth the wait, they are truly lovely bikes and I surely suspect they ride as nice as they look.
Old 07-10-07, 06:50 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
I got the "moto yellow" which is a deeper yellow, very pretty.
Colleen
Good choice

Yellow is one of my favorite colors but you wouldn't know it from my black/grey/silver bikes

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-10-07, 08:54 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids

I did have the Serotta fitting, I posted about that a while back. 2 1/2 hours w/the fitter on this sawed-off "fit cycle" and massage table (to measure flexibility, but at these prices I should have gotten a massage, too!) and I ended up fitting a 52 short frame perfectly, I'm 5' 7 1/2" and fairly long legged w/a somewhat shorter reach.

One of the problems I've had w/my Trek 7.5fx in a 20" frame is that the reach is pretty far and I have hand numbness nearly constantly in varying degrees.
That's interesting, as those two have very different geometries.

Consider - Serotta 52S vs Trek FX 20" in cm

Seat tube: 46.0 vs 50.5
Top tube: 50.5 vs 56.8 (could be more like 54 in actual length)

If the 52S is a perfect fit then the Trek 20" wasn't even close to one.

The Fierta Steel does seem to have a lot going for it. Getting a custom fitted steel bike with a comfort geometry with carbon fork (& carbon seat stays too?), for around $3K strikes me as a lot of value.

I think George should look into one of these!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-10-07, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Steel is real, too bad there are no lugs.
Old 07-10-07, 11:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admire people with your level of patience. It would be killing me to wait.
Old 07-10-07, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
That's interesting, as those two have very different geometries.

Consider - Serotta 52S vs Trek FX 20" in cm

Seat tube: 46.0 vs 50.5
Top tube: 50.5 vs 56.8 (could be more like 54 in actual length)

If the 52S is a perfect fit then the Trek 20" wasn't even close to one.

The Fierta Steel does seem to have a lot going for it. Getting a custom fitted steel bike with a comfort geometry with carbon fork (& carbon seat stays too?), for around $3K strikes me as a lot of value.

I think George should look into one of these!
Yes, it has carbon seat stays, also.

touche! No the Trek isn't a good fit at all. Last year when I decided I needed something better than the too small Raleigh M50 mtn bike I was riding, I decided on the Trek 7.5fx after much research. It was the middle of the line and that suited me. I walked in and said "I want this one" and they looked at me and said "this one will fit you" and off I went on my merry way.....without so much as a test ride! Can you believe it? They must love clueless newbies like me at the LBS. Later on I switched out the stem for a shorter one, but the reach is still too far. Though I've managed to slog out enough miles to know I love this cycling thing, despite the bad fit.

So, now I know what I like, how I intend to ride and what I want from a bike. This shopping experience was totally different from the first time. I must have test ridden at least a dozen bikes (probably more) in every imaginable combination of frame materials from entry level to top of the line . Nothing, not even a titanium Litespeed, felt as solid and comfortable and confident as the serotta steel frame. The Serotta I test rode, obviously was not a custom fit for me, but it felt so easy to handle that I was able to ride no-handed, which is something I could never do on my Trek.

I feel like this Fierte is a very sweet spot in their line, even though it's their basic entry level model. It's the same tubing as the higher priced couer d'acier. I was fortunate that the stock geometry of the Fierte fit me just right. The CDA is more of a racier, go-fast kind of bike, the Fierte has a longer wheel base and is more of a "comfort" geometry. Price-wise it's a great deal compared to the entry level in the Indy fab and Seven lines, which I'm told are comparable bikes.

So even though this is more money than I would have ever dreamed a year ago I would spend on a bike, I feel like I am getting a lot of bike for my money, and I won't have that nagging "wish I would have gotten the better one" feeling...at least that is what I hope.

George, what do you think about this? Might this fit the bill for you too?

Colleen

Last edited by momof4greatkids; 07-10-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 12:04 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm far too impatient to wait out most of the prime cycling season for a new ride...that long of a wait might be acceptable during the dog days of winter, but not during "high season".
Old 07-10-07, 01:26 PM

I just got back from the bike shop and we talked about the Serotta. They said bring my bike in and we can see what we can use off of yours and then talk about price and what has to be done. He said the frame would be about $1400 and then what ever we could save from mine. I have to problems with this. This guy is the same guy, when I started riding, that tried to sell me a 20" bike. He said what size is the Jamis, I said 58cm, he said I think a 60cm would fit you better. I ws just ready to say, why did you put me on a 57cm a year ago, but I let it go. The other reason is, I like this Jamis to much to start taking it apart. He said, we could always order you a Trek 520. I thought when I went into the store I might be able to find out something, I walked out with my head spinning. I did want the 520 before I bought the Jamis, but the drop bars scared me off. I was asking myself that on the way home, what if I order this bike and find it uncomfortible. I said if I order the 520 would I have to take it if it didn't work and I think he said no. There's just so many factors to deal with and I don't know if I would gain that much with the 520. The Serotta, may be a different story, I'll just have to wait and see. I asked how much it weighed and he said he thought about 20#. Then he said the Lemond made a steel bike, but it was about $1700. So anyhow that's where I'm at, I said I would like to see the bike before I make a commitment. I must say, that the Lemond looked like a pretty nice bike.
Old 07-10-07, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I just got back from the bike shop and we talked about the Serotta. They said bring my bike in and we can see what we can use off of yours and then talk about price and what has to be done. He said the frame would be about $1400 and then what ever we could save from mine. I have to problems with this. This guy is the same guy, when I started riding, that tried to sell me a 20" bike. He said what size is the Jamis, I said 58cm, he said I think a 60cm would fit you better. I ws just ready to say, why did you put me on a 57cm a year ago, but I let it go. The other reason is, I like this Jamis to much to start taking it apart. He said, we could always order you a Trek 520. I thought when I went into the store I might be able to find out something, I walked out with my head spinning. I did want the 520 before I bought the Jamis, but the drop bars scared me off. I was asking myself that on the way home, what if I order this bike and find it uncomfortible. I said if I order the 520 would I have to take it if it didn't work and I think he said no. There's just so many factors to deal with and I don't know if I would gain that much with the 520. The Serotta, may be a different story, I'll just have to wait and see. I asked how much it weighed and he said he thought about 20#. Then he said the Lemond made a steel bike, but it was about $1700. So anyhow that's where I'm at, I said I would like to see the bike before I make a commitment. I must say, that the Lemond looked like a pretty nice bike.
You need Tom Bombadil as your bike purchase consultant. TOM!!! OVER HERE!
Old 07-10-07, 05:24 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Why does Short Attention Span Theater keep popping up in my mind?
Old 07-10-07, 06:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Short Attention" would certainly have nothing to do with me!

Old 07-10-07, 06:04 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrierman
You need Tom Bombadil as your bike purchase consultant. TOM!!! OVER HERE!
But he is looking to buy a d*mn road bike. Why would I want to get caught up in that?
Old 07-11-07, 07:28 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you could get another bike while you wait.
Old 07-11-07, 07:33 PM

I'm done shopping, did I tell you I got a great bike.
Old 07-12-07, 05:11 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never settle, always get what you want. That way you will ride more, bike looks very nice, well worth waiting for.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-12-07, 10:19 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George
I'm done shopping, did I tell you I got a great bike.
I assume you are referring to your Jamis Coda Elite?

Old 07-12-07, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I assume you are referring to your Jamis Coda Elite?

You got it.