Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Food for Fitness (the book) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/321196-food-fitness-book.html)

Yen 07-15-07 12:45 PM

Food for Fitness (the book)

Yesterday while at REI we bought Food for Fitness by Chris Carmichael. He coached and trained Lance Armstrong back to health and victory by incorporating sound nutrition into his cycling training program. What I've read so far is right on: We should think of food as fuel for our bodies (not just calories), that exercise should be done for fitness (not just to burn calories), and that our food intake should be tailored to our particular training level. It gets more technical than some might prefer, but I like to know "why" everything so it is right down my alley. I have a nursing background that includes experience on an inpatient eating disorders unit where I learned that a person really can lose weight eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between (not "dieting").

I'm also planning to buy Cycling Past 50 for additional tips, and then find what works best for me from the information in both books.

Has anyone else found wisdom in these or other books? I believe there are unique requirements for the 50+ bunch, especially while engaging in frequent vigorous physical activity (more than daily walks -- not that there is anything wrong with that...).

Jen

card 07-15-07 01:19 PM

I used to buy these books, however, Carmichaels book seemed geard to the professional or near pro ranks. I, OTOH, at my age am looking more for overall fitness and will not be riding any time trials or other events. I've found Cliff Sheet's "Lean Bodies" more pertinent to a 60 yr. olds overall health.

BTW, I have Carmichael's book on the shelf.

Zipper 07-15-07 02:07 PM

I just finished a book full of wisdom for those of us past 50 - in my case waaay past. It is Younger Next Year and there is a companion Younger Next Year for Women. The co-authors are Chris Crowley who is past 70 and his internist Henry Lodge. It's a great book about keeping fit well into one's 70's and beyond. The book is built around Harry's Rules, seven rules Harry has created to keep people fit. They are: 1. Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life, 2. Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life, 3. Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life, 4. Spend less than you make, 5. Quit eating crap, 6. Care, 7. Connect and commit.
Good rules, and I suspect many of the folks reading this follow most, if not all, of them.

qwerty37 07-15-07 08:20 PM

Over the years I've purchased and browsed MANY cycling related books. Most I consider garbage. In my opinion, here are the 3 best cycling/fitness books. These 3 books have improved my fitness, cycling and running 100%.

Joe Friel: Cycling Past 50. Excellent book, but really technical. Great if you already have advanced knowledge and lots of bike experience. This is the best cycling book I think I've ever purchased.

Joe Friel: Total Heart Rate Training. Been following this book religiously. You will need a heart rate monitor.

Monique Ryan: Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes. This book has really helped me straighten out my food intake. I don't go crazy and create menues, but I do use this book to help me decide what and when to eat and drink. Huge difference in my performance!

These books are not for the novice, but each covers a specific area of fitness/cycling. At 52 I'm not into racing or burning up any trails. I cycle and run for fitness. Couldn't care less how I compare against other people, I do it for myself. Nothing I've done over the past several years have helped more than these 3 books.

Tom Bombadil 07-15-07 08:35 PM

I've browsed the stacks at Border's and Barnes & Noble for books that might address some general cycling, fitness, and nutrition tips for the 40+, 50+, 60+ crowd. But everyone I've found has been too overboard for me. They seem to be focused on the person who wants to compete in a 50+ national championship race.

DnvrFox 07-15-07 08:40 PM

I'm pretty much a KISS advocate for much of what I do, and am not analytical at all about my health/exercise habits.

So, approaching 68 yo

1. I exercise aerobically at things I enjoy - bicycling and walking, and do them at the speed and intensity which insures my continued enjoyment and that I won't burn out. For me, that is about 120 miles per week, or the equivalent in time walking.

2. I exercise strength-wise again at things I enjoy, and I happen to thoroughly enjoy lifting weights as heavy as I possibly can. My body is so tuned in and adjusted to heavy weights that I can (as I did today) push my body to the absolute max (for me, that is) and never suffer any DOMS or even any pain. My muscles, ligaments and tendons are so prepared for heavy weights, that i find it difficult to even feel much of a post-workout "high." I violate all the "proper training" advice that you see for "seniors" in the newspaper features, etc.

3. My wife and i eat nutritiously - whole grains, fruits, lean meat, fish, poultry, veggies. But we don't go overboard a bit in doing all the "planning" that some folks find necessary and enjoy. I don't worry in the slightest if I go overbaord now and then on something sweet or whatever.

4. We have never smoked or used drugs, nor do I drink alcoholic beverages.

So I tend to Keep It Simple, Stupid and live my life in that manner.

No books needed,

Yen 07-15-07 08:40 PM

Good suggestions. I'd like a book or two that will deepen my understanding and help improve my strength and endurance. I believe good nutrition goes hand-in-hand with being physically active for optimum health, and that we need to recognize and respect the different needs we have as we age.

I felt a slump last week and after reading a little of Carmichael's book, as well as some posts in the Training & Nutrition forum, I believe I need to increase my calories and carbs. I was continuing to eat like I did to lose 30+ lbs (which has now grown to 35) although my activity level has increased substantially.

So...... I'm really enjoying this big hunk of sweet juicy watermelon right now and enjoying every sweet calorie! :)

Yen 07-15-07 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I'm pretty much a KISS advocate for much of what I do, and am not analytical at all about my health/exercise habits.

So I tend to Keep It Simple, Stupid and live my life in that manner.

No books needed,

I like that approach too. :) I just want some additional information to help me tailor my eating to my increased level of activity. I like to know "why" this or that is necessary to eat or drink. (I drove my parents crazy asking "why" when I was a kid...)