Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What will the next ten years bring?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What will the next ten years bring?

Old 12-18-17, 07:09 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
A riding buddy has Di2. He forgets to charge it, then isn't able to shift in the middle of a ride. But it's really great feature is no cable end caps. My 10 year prediction is that someone will figure out how to tap into the cosmos' dark energy spigot and remotely top off his bike's shifting battery.
Old 12-18-17, 09:20 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
In 10 years I hope there will still be craftsman hand-brazing custom frames from steel...like Richard Sachs.
Old 12-19-17, 09:26 AM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Kudos!
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Inspirational, Hermes!
Thanks for the props.
Old 12-19-17, 02:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 5328 Post(s)
Originally Posted by leftthread View Post
A riding buddy has Di2. He forgets to charge it, then isn't able to shift in the middle of a ride. But it's really great feature is no cable end caps. My 10 year prediction is that someone will figure out how to tap into the cosmos' dark energy spigot and remotely top off his bike's shifting battery.

Inductive charging is here already.

My daughter is at Georgia Tech working on the dark matter thing as you read this.

-Tim-
Old 12-19-17, 09:35 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Maybe in the next 10 years he'll remember to charge the battery every few months.
Old 12-20-17, 08:24 AM
ov_dragonman

Bikes: Lynskey R260, Andy Gilmour custom road bike, Ghost Panamao x5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We were having this same discussion before a group ride the other day. Most people felt in 10 years all bikes would be electric shift, disc brakes, have built-in front / rear flashers, small LCD display with basic speedometer functions and BT link to your phone, super low drag super efficient hub generators to charge / power all on-board electronics, and some new metal alloy for high end frames. Carbon frames will have been banned because of injuries from frame splintering, but carbon seat posts would still be available.
Old 12-20-17, 10:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
yeah, built in lights powered by pedaling would be awesome
Old 12-20-17, 12:16 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Remember in the movie "Breaking Away" one of the evil Cinzano riders shifting what's his name's bike on the uphill? Won't be long before hackers are doing that on the Alp d'Huez.
Old 12-20-17, 01:06 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 2001 Raleigh M80, 1989 Raleigh Technium, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1948 P. Barnard & Son

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Regardless of the equipment we (or our progeny) choose in ten years time, it will mean nothing if we continue to neglect and abuse the natural ecosystem. Riding performance will decline in proportion to air, water and food pollution levels.
5G wireless networks will cause us to be radiated and overstimulated for our entire rides, even in the country, and we will be too indulgent and apathetic to object.
Old 12-20-17, 05:41 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
It will be for the changing tastes of the aging boomers, the one's with all the money.
Old 12-20-17, 08:52 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
Regardless of the equipment we (or our progeny) choose in ten years time, it will mean nothing if we continue to neglect and abuse the natural ecosystem. Riding performance will decline in proportion to air, water and food pollution levels.
5G wireless networks will cause us to be radiated and overstimulated for our entire rides, even in the country, and we will be too indulgent and apathetic to object.
Kinda tend to think along these lines
. my dad used to say that the pasta back in Italy 50+ years ago had way more nutrition.. I think there is something to this,
Old 12-21-17, 06:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Maybe in the next 10 years he'll remember to charge the battery every few months.
Given that this is the 50+ forum, in 10 years he'll be less likely to rememeber to charge the bike !
Old 12-22-17, 12:29 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Given that this is the 50+ forum, in 10 years he'll be less likely to rememeber to charge the bike !
My wife and I joke about each of us still having 60% of our former brain-power, so as long as we stay together we're good to go. (It's actually funny how often we piece together a memory from each of us having part of the story.) We're going to enjoy the time while this is still funny for us, knowing that it will eventually be a serious problem. Well, it'll be a problem for those around us, we probably won't notice.
Old 12-22-17, 09:50 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Inductive charging is here already.

My daughter is at Georgia Tech working on the dark matter thing as you read this.
-Tim-
Greeting from a Rambling Wreck, '82EE. The school has come a long ways since then.
Old 12-22-17, 05:09 PM
ctpres 

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Ten years equal less flats for sure. Less broken glass!
Retired 79 YO. Got my sub 5 ET century at 50 and sub 7 RT at 75. Just want to finish sub 10 RT at 80. USNR, USAF, USCGA - riding 2014 Zenetto Stealth ZR7.1 Carbon on the road in flatland & 2017 Sundeal M7 for the mountains. Train HI - Creede Co in summer and ride low - Texas Gulf Coast in winter. Life is good.
Old 12-22-17, 05:55 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
First, adding motors to bikes.......
Good prediction - e-assist getting more common every year

I see this trend likely continuing as the Baby Boomers age (anyone read 'The Haywire Heart'?)

Merry Xmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year to all

Peter
Old 01-01-18, 01:43 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Old 01-01-18, 02:01 PM
dim

Bikes: Giant TCR .... 1981 Koga Miyata Full Pro ... Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
smart electronic gearing that will automatically change gears based on your fatigue/effort so that you get the most efficiency and speed
Old 01-03-18, 06:41 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Good Point Dim. With electronic shifting, power meters, HR monitors, speedometers, cadence sensors and inclimeters already here it would seem a software program could already do this. Folks like SRAM would have to release the software so app could do the shifting. Add voice commands. So tell your bike what kind of ride you want, hit engage and you have a smart bike that will keep you in any power/zone you want! I can just see my bike saying "It appears you are going up a 11.5% incline and I cannot offer you better gearing....time to walk! My Wahoo app already tells me my "heart is about to explode".......