Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you get chased by dogs?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-23-07, 05:24 AM
kerk

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the city and the city dogs just watch me ride by. They could care less. The past few weeks I've ridden some country roads and seen some doge, but none of them chased us. I grew up in the country and when you saw a dog, you better step on it because that dog would be coming. Not to mention the ones that would wait in the weeds to jump out at you. So do dogs chase bikers anymore?
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .
Old 07-23-07, 05:31 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11058 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Yes they do, but the penalties for doing so are probably stiffer than they used to be. Thus fewer events than in "the old days"
Old 07-23-07, 05:45 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In 9 years, I have been chased by one dog, but the owner finally succeeded in calling him back. A few weeks ago, I was behind some peds as we were exiting a spur trail. As we were close to the street exit, I didn't pass them. However, their dog became aware of me behind them and viciously tried to get at me. He was on a leash and nearly dragged the poor lady back to me. She yelled at me (a lot and in panic) for not letting her know I was passing them. However, I WASN'T passing them (just riding slowly waiting for them to exit onto the street), so how would I know to notify them that I was?

She explained the dog hated bicyclists, and they had made a promise to the deceased owners to keep the dog until the dog died. I thought, "That should be pretty soon" but said nothing and went on my way.
Old 07-23-07, 06:02 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11058 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
In 9 years, I have been chased by one dog, but the owner finally succeeded in calling him back. A few weeks ago, I was behind some peds as we were exiting a spur trail. As we were close to the street exit, I didn't pass them. However, their dog became aware of me behind them and viciously tried to get at me. He was on a leash and nearly dragged the poor lady back to me. She yelled at me (a lot and in panic) for not letting her know I was passing them. However, I WASN'T passing them (just riding slowly waiting for them to exit onto the street), so how would I know to notify them that I was?

She explained the dog hated bicyclists, and they had made a promise to the deceased owners to keep the dog until the dog died. I thought, "That should be pretty soon" but said nothing and went on my way.

Old 07-23-07, 06:06 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got chased by 2 dogs just yesterday. A big giant rottie, and a little miniature Schnauzer.

The Schnauzer was the worst! I always just stop and let the dogs sniff me, but that's only because I can read them from a distance pretty well. The Rottie was just glad to see me, but that schnauzer looked a little wound up.

I'd say I get chased by some dog somewhere almost every ride when I'm up north. Never in the Cities. In Kansas its just the border collies I worry about, that hide along side the road. They chase my car*. But I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

There is a house on my route up north that has a giant sign running along their fence, like a banner for a bank, "BEWARE OF DOG!" I don't know what will happen if I ever see this one.
Old 07-23-07, 06:48 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyday, I live in a community where dogs are suppose ti be on a leash, but this one lady abd one man don't like the rules, that's going to change today. I've given them both breaks at least 4 times each, today they will be reported. If they are reported 3 times, the dogs go, or they do. The guy is trying to train his, so I got to cut him a break, but the lady has been reported twice. She has 3 of those yappers and they have been driving everybody in the whole place nuts. She just wont put them on a lease, and my wife almost fell 3 times with these dogs chasing her. Anyhow I'll see what happens today.
Old 07-23-07, 06:56 AM
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George View Post
Everyday, I live in a community where dogs are suppose ti be on a leash, but this one lady abd one man don't like the rules, that's going to change today. I've given them both breaks at least 4 times each, today they will be reported. If they are reported 3 times, the dogs go, or they do. The guy is trying to train his, so I got to cut him a break, but the lady has been reported twice. She has 3 of those yappers and they have been driving everybody in the whole place nuts. She just wont put them on a lease, and my wife almost fell 3 times with these dogs chasing her. Anyhow I'll see what happens today.
George, is that a community rule? There are dogs at two places that chase me--one dog, the last 6 times I've ridden, and this dog is vicious. I talked to the sheriff and he said in Texas, the dog has to bite someone before they could do anything. Seems weird that I can get an injunction against someone that threatens to hurt me, but I can't do anything about a vicious dog until he bites me.
Old 07-23-07, 07:15 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the "advantages" of living in S. Fl is that everyone lives in gated communities for the most part. Here in Weston there is almost no housed right on any main streets so I never see a dog other than the ones being walked as I leave and return home. Now if you want to talk about dog owners cleaning up after their animals I will be glad to rant about that.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-23-07, 07:21 AM
George

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He just didn't want to do the paper work. I don't know about the whole state, but I know it is in this county ( Fort Bend ) and it is as well, in this community. I think if a police officer told me that, I'd go over his head. Man, talk about stupid, wait until you get bit, yes and then we can go to court, have the dog destroyed and a possible lawsuit. I know I wouldn't stand still, for the answer you got, good luck and go after it.
Old 07-23-07, 07:24 AM
George

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
One of the "advantages" of living in S. Fl is that everyone lives in gated communities for the most part. Here in Weston there is almost no housed right on any main streets so I never see a dog other than the ones being walked as I leave and return home. Now if you want to talk about dog owners cleaning up after their animals I will be glad to rant about that.
I've been there to. I least I've got most of them to carry bags. If you don't want to train the dog or clean up after it, leave it at the store.
Old 07-23-07, 07:35 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm with another dog owner who doesn't pick up, I'll pick up theirs just to embarrass them into doing it.

On the other hand, I have a dog that had 2 hip surgeries, and his pelvis is the size of a small thumb. He gets constipated constantly. Looks like he's taking the hugest dump, but nothing comes out. I can't tell you how many times I've been yelled at from a distance by people who thought I wasn't picking up. It's totally embarrassing.

What I hate are the people who "pretend" to pick it up. I mean, if you're going to bend over with a baggie, just grab it.
Old 07-23-07, 07:46 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of months ago I had my first really scary dog encounter. I was on an out-of-town trip in West Texas. I took a bike along to ride and was ten miles from nowhere when three pit bulls came out after me from this red-neck-shack-of-a house with no one home. When they got serious I hit two of them with Halt spray and they immediately stopped.

The last one wasn't a very good sprinter.
Old 07-23-07, 12:11 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cop strength pepper spray....works on the mutts, and works on their gap-toothed owners too (unlike Halt, which only works on the mutts).
Old 07-23-07, 12:33 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Cop strength pepper spray....works on the mutts, and works on their gap-toothed owners too (unlike Halt, which only works on the mutts).
What is cop strength? What's a good kind to get? I carry Halt but I think I'm far more likely to need to use it on an "owner" than a doggie.
Old 07-23-07, 12:44 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
What is cop strength? What's a good kind to get? I carry Halt but I think I'm far more likely to need to use it on an "owner" than a doggie.
Just another way of saying "full strength". I'd recommend going to a local sporting goods or gun store. Or, if you Google "pepper spray", you'll get a million places where you can order online.

Just make sure you get one that shoots a "stream", not a "fog" (to avoid problems with blowback). I also prefer models with a "safety" over the dispenser button - the kind you have to flip up with your thumb.

Fox Labs is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm sure there are others too.
Old 07-23-07, 01:47 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Get off your bilke and attack the dog. Works every time. Pit bulls, no. bk
Old 07-23-07, 02:06 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my riding is done on rural or between towns or up in the foothills roads. Farm dogs are far worse than city dogs. After a while, you can spot those who chase for "sport" and those who mean business. Some years ago a farm dog came running out to chase me and some friends and got hit by an oncoming car. He was a "sport" chaser and we all felt badly. There are also a few vicious ones whose demise I would celebrate.

A timely article: http://news.aol.com/story/_a/states-...00010000000001

[the "one bite rule" mentioned above made me grit my teeth. I'd like to have its author be so objectively judicious were his child to be the "first bite for free". Political correctness for animals?

Last edited by CrossChain; 07-23-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 03:23 PM
George

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
A couple of months ago I had my first really scary dog encounter. I was on an out-of-town trip in West Texas. I took a bike along to ride and was ten miles from nowhere when three pit bulls came out after me from this red-neck-shack-of-a house with no one home. When they got serious I hit two of them with Halt spray and they immediately stopped.

The last one wasn't a very good sprinter.
They probably went to the store for things for there lab. A friend of mine worked on high lines in some pretty remote places out west and he said you would be surprised how they live and the stuff they mix up to sell.
Old 07-24-07, 09:57 AM
Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been chased by dogs in the suburbs as well as in farmland. Most dogs seem to be out for a good time chase, but even a friendly dog can cause serious damage if you collide with it.

If a dog comes into the road at me I'll give it a blast from a signal horn. The very loud sound stops most dogs right now. 1.5 oz signal horns are available in the boating section of big box stores. This one with the push button top is easy to use ( http://www.falconsignalhorns.com/def...8&productid=91 ). A can is good for 30 or 40 blasts.

As an added protection, I started carrying a duty grade pepper spray for the unusual situation when a dog really is on the attack. (http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/p...S/dps_duty.htm)

Of course, horns and sprays presume you have time to react to the dog. Last year a friend collided with a dog that ran out from between parked cars without warning. The dog wasn't hurt, but my friend ended up with a broken collar bone, three broken ribs, and an ambulance ride.
Old 07-24-07, 10:50 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Texas, dogs out in the country are really bad. I think the owners would get rid of any dog that didn't chase everything that shows up on the road.

I've found the best way to avoid being bitten is to always ride with a slower rider.
Old 07-24-07, 11:04 AM
Brusheda

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Around here the dogs, like their owners, are too fat to do much running.

Old 07-24-07, 11:11 AM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post

18% pepper spray
Old 07-24-07, 11:24 AM
bobbyahines

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-2, Bridgestone CB-2, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No holds barred up here, I carry a full-size cannister of bear spray in my handlebar bag. I keep it because I've run in to bears riding here (and confrontational moose), but I feel no shame in spraying the rottweiler when necessary...

-bobby
Old 07-24-07, 11:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Cyclists have been chased by dogs since the mid-1860s! At times various strategies have been employed.

Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
Here in Texas...
One of the many reasons I love riding in the Texas hill country is 99.9% of rural folks keep their dogs penned or chained. But it's not because of concern over cyclists! Deer hunting is BIG business (based on the private lease system) and they don't want the dogs fussing with the economically valuble deer.

TCS
Old 07-24-07, 11:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
OK, one more time: a small, playful dog can hit your front wheel and send you to the hospital. An off-the-leash Dandie Dinmont is as dangerous to cyclists as a junkyard guard dog.

TCS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.