Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Awww crap!!! a real TdF spoiler

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-24-07, 10:27 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Here we go again.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007...ul07/jul25news
Old 07-24-07, 10:44 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that is really bad news, I'm sorry to hear that. After that wreck tore him up and everything I started pulling for the guy. He tried so hard and trained so hard and threw it all away. I read where they all signed a contract, if caught doping, they had to pay a heavy fine and couldn't ride for a year or something. It could have been longer, but I don't remember. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-24-07, 10:54 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 46 Posts
So be it – how stupid. Vino is gone and good riddance. If the rest of Astana is clean, it is too bad that all the riders have to suffer. However, that is the rule.

Edit: Very good news for Discovery. They were behind Astana in the team standings. It is great to get rid of the cheaters early and often.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-24-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 11:08 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am coming to the conclusion that it is nearly hopeless to prevent cheating. It does not ruin my day one little bit when someone gets caught. I swear it's a good thing the course has enough people along it to prevent someone from taking a shortcut. I admit to being competitive myself, but cannot begin to understand the cheater mentality, unless it's only about winning $$$ and nothing to do with pride.
Old 07-24-07, 11:21 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We will have to see but the complete collapse of sponsorship could follow this. In addition VS may rethink showing the TdF next year. This may end up being the last straw, after all of the bad publicity and making riders sign the tour form and you still get an A class rider doping then you can't say that there is much of a deterrent. It also makes Rasmussen's little problem seem a bit more suspect. Very sad.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-24-07, 11:30 AM
zymans
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get it! Are they stupid or what.
They know that the first place is always tested!
Hermes
Version 3.0

As pointed out in a BF TdF thread, the B sample has not confirmed the outcome. If the regulators played by their own rules, we should not know the outcome of the A test until the B test confirms the result.
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone really care about the tour anymore? Change it's name to Tour de Dope.
Old 07-24-07, 11:31 AM
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Certainly puts the "pledge" into significance!!!!

So he may lose a year's wages

But we all lose a clean Tour de France...... again.

absolutely gutted as I was listening to the news, almost numb in disbelief.

Very sad day for Pro Racing.
george
Old 07-24-07, 12:03 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could someone explain what the connection is between doping, getting blood transfusions, and training wearing non-identifying clothes? Seems like they talk about these things like they're connected...
Old 07-24-07, 12:07 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Pro riders who dope...................Basketball ref's that rig games for gamblers.................Pro Football players involved in dogfighting................Doctors who kill (maybe) patients in New Orleans.................Congressmen who take bribes or who have phone numbers in places they wish they weren't.....................Home invasions..................Global Warming.

If I had more time to ride, then I'd listen to less news.

I hate the modern world!
Old 07-24-07, 12:11 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
Could someone explain what the connection is between doping, getting blood transfusions, and training wearing non-identifying clothes? Seems like they talk about these things like they're connected...
Doping involves banned performance enhancing substances.

Blood transfusions can be your own blood from a previous time or someone elses. The purpose is to increase your blood volumn temporarily so that more oxygen can be carried in your system.

Training in non-identifying clothing (the riders/men in black) has two purposes. The teams say that it prevents groupies and crowds from bothering their training........The anti doping authorities say it is to prefent being able to find the riders so as to administer random drug tests.
Old 07-24-07, 12:56 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by ctyler View Post
Does anyone really care about the tour anymore?
Yes. Some of us care very much about the tour. I know I do. That is why it is so painful watching as it purges this disease. I hope it survives the treatment.
Old 07-24-07, 01:06 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe I care. Their riding skills are so far beyond anything that I could ever dream of. Can't pronounce their names. I like to watch their riding, but pretty much just believe it's all as real as pro wrestling. Or as real as Nascar is racing street models. And I don't believe it has anything to do with being in a great spot to win and not being French.
Old 07-24-07, 01:47 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't they think about what they'll lose if they get caught, after working so hard to get to this point -- probably most if not all their lives???
Old 07-24-07, 01:54 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Say it ain't so, Joe. This really chaps my hide.

what's the story about the home invasion? I've been too busy watching the TdDrugs to pay attention to anything else.
Old 07-24-07, 02:00 PM
LynnH

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BluesDawg your thread title nailed this! It makes me very sad, I love watching the Tour.
Old 07-24-07, 02:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post

Blood transfusions can be your own blood from a previous time or someone elses. The purpose is to increase your blood volumn temporarily so that more oxygen can be carried in your system.
Blood transfusions are Packed Red Blood Cell transfusions, either in healthcare settings or for sports cheating. The purpose is to increase the number of RBC's, which transport oxygen. Taking EPO increases the number of RBC's by stimulating production of them. Either method of increasing hematocrit carries risks of major problems. That risk is OK if you are sick but stupidly not OK to win a bike race.
Old 07-24-07, 02:21 PM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This doesn't spoil it for me. You could take the average rider and pump them full of EPO, do bllod transfusions one after another, and they still couldn't perform the way the TdF riders do. But then again, I'm also a baseball fan and I've gotten used to the fact that Barry Bonds is still playing.
Old 07-24-07, 02:28 PM
Baroque
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This news would bother me more if I wasn't already resigned to lack of honor in competition - all competition, not just sports. Some people will do anything to win. They wouldn't recognize Ethics if it wore a hot pink flashing neon sign in a dark alley. I guess human behavior hasn't changed in a few thousand years and isn't going to change now. *sigh* So much for progress of civilization.

I admired Vino's performance yesterday, am sorry he's out of the Tour, but if he broke the rules, so be it. I'll keep watching the other riders and will enjoy the scenery and strategies!

P.S. I don't think a channel (Versus) that promotes high-class programming like "Xtreme Cage Fighting" is going to discontinue Tour coverage just because of doping scandals.
Old 07-24-07, 03:01 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see, the Black Sox scandal, Tommy Simpson, doped race horses, steroid ballooned athletes at all levels, corrupt officials........but then corrupt cops, aspects of the U.N. corrupt, corrupt legislators, and so on. Corruption, like germs and rot, enters everywhere-- but then, it always has. The human soul is divided and imperfectable. But then, we sort of know that.

We should be somewhat reassured that others attempt to deal with corruption, sometimes catch it, and that there are athletes at the Tour who do not exceed the rules-- we should admire them all the more for competing with those who do. The TdF will probably never be antiseptic, but then what major sport is. Just have to keep fighting corruption like fleas on a dog and neither give up our ideals nor our pursuit of clean sports. I would hate to ever give up on the Tour. Michael Vick and friends are in their own league of corruption.
Old 07-24-07, 04:51 PM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That really is bad news and it's especially disapointing for a sport which has probably done more than any other to try to eliminate doping. The first doping tests for cyclists were done back in the late '60s and have continued since. That can't be said for the more popular sports.
Old 07-24-07, 05:23 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Jonathan Vaughters Team Manager, (Team Slipstream):

"If you declare war on doping there will be some casualties. Sinkewitz and Vino are both signs that the UCI isn't pulling any punches. Maybe its further damage to the sport's reputation, but it serves to clean it up.

"It's very good news for young riders. If people really want clean sport, this is what has to happen. The majority of the riders have cleaned up, so the few who persist are not trying to even the playing field, but instead are trying to cheat. They stick out like sore thumbs these days, and the UCI knows who they are.

"Anne Gripper, the new head of antidoping efforts at the UCI is a smart and tough Aussie lady. She will get the job done, no matter how much pain it causes, so my advice is to not mess with her. Nature culls sick herds of animals. Cycling is just going through a natural culling....sad to say, but true. The riders and teams that have chosen to be clean will survive this. We will too."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007...l07/jul25news2
Old 07-24-07, 05:24 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Refresh my memory: Weren't there blood-boosting issues in the 1984 L.A. olympics, involving such noted riders as Rebecca Twigg?
Old 07-24-07, 05:38 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

In thinking about this case, I find it hard to believe that Vino infused someone else's blood (albeit matching). That is too easy to detect. It seems really wierd to me and totally stupid. He surely would know that he would get caught. If he was going to dope, he should have used his own blood i.e. drawn earlier and given back during the TdF. If done properly, it is very difficult to detect. There must be more to the story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.