Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Which bike to buy?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Which bike to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike to buy?

OK, I know everyone has passionate and not necessarily unbiased feelings about their bike but I'm going to ask for some advice anyhow.

I'm 59 and got into road riding a few years ago with a very inexpensive bike that has served me well but now its time to upgrade. My budget is $1000-$1500 with my comfort zone in the $1300-$1400 range. I don't race (except for once a year for fun) but I do an assortment of charity rides, centuries, and just plain pleasure riding. All of this happens in the hills of western Pennsylvania so a triple crank is a must. I'd like something that is reasonably comfortable at distance but I'm not too old to appreciate speed. I do the occasional long multi-day ride but rarely if ever do self-contained touring, although I guess the ability to take a rack would be nice. Also, 90% of my riding is on paved road but the other 10% is on bike trails of varying surface, so I wouldn't mind the ability to mount slightly larger (28 mm) tires on occassion.
From looking online at specs and pricing, the following bikes have caught my eye: Felt Z70, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 2, Trek 1600, and Novara Strada. I've not yet gone out to the bike shop to ride any on them.

Any suggestions or comments? Also, is fall the best time to buy for pricing?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-07, 12:37 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike fits your criteria, but so what? I love it. You might and you might not.

Ooops -- just re-read the part where you want to go off-road. Never mind!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-28-07, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee,
I don't recall the OP said he was looking for a white bike!!
Old 07-28-07, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyfox2
OK, I know everyone has passionate and not necessarily unbiased feelings about their bike but I'm going to ask for some advice anyhow.

I'm 59 and got into road riding a few years ago with a very inexpensive bike that has served me well but now its time to upgrade. My budget is $1000-$1500 with my comfort zone in the $1300-$1400 range. I don't race (except for once a year for fun) but I do an assortment of charity rides, centuries, and just plain pleasure riding. All of this happens in the hills of western Pennsylvania so a triple crank is a must. I'd like something that is reasonably comfortable at distance but I'm not too old to appreciate speed. I do the occasional long multi-day ride but rarely if ever do self-contained touring, although I guess the ability to take a rack would be nice. Also, 90% of my riding is on paved road but the other 10% is on bike trails of varying surface, so I wouldn't mind the ability to mount slightly larger (28 mm) tires on occassion.
From looking online at specs and pricing, the following bikes have caught my eye: Felt Z70, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 2, Trek 1600, and Novara Strada. I've not yet gone out to the bike shop to ride any on them.

Any suggestions or comments? Also, is fall the best time to buy for pricing?

Thanks.
My opinions is that a lot of bikes will take the 28mm tire, many that supposedly do not. My CAAD7 frame, 54cm takes one, barely. My guess is that any of the bikes you mentioned will, and it should be easy enough to find out ahead of time. A friend has a Specialized Roubaix, and I believe it has more upright, relaxed geometry, but to my eye - and the way he rides it - it is a really high performing bike. Another friend has a Raleigh Cadent, again pretty relaxed upright positioning, but excellent components and fit and finish. (but I think a cheaper bike than many).

I'm 54 and ride a CAAD 7 (similar geometry to CAAD8, CAAD9, and I believe Six13), and it is pretty "racy", but I have gotten it to a comfortable fit... but my next bike will be more of a relaxed, but high performaning frame and components.
Old 07-28-07, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually was looking at Raleigh Cadent but according to their website it looks like they're redoing the line as a flat bar bike. The only drop bars left on the site are the older models.
Old 07-28-07, 04:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You should be able to have a Surly Pacer built up with a pretty nice spec for that price range. Very versatile bike that would do all the things you mentioned very well. Up to 32mm tires will fit.
Old 07-28-07, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with any of the bikes mentioned in my post?
By the way, I mentioned the ability to mount a 28mm tire as a nice thing but it's not the most important. If I found the perfect bike that wouldn't take a tire over 25mm I'd buy it before I bought a lesser bike that could take wider tires.
Old 07-28-07, 08:27 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

No direct experience with those bikes. Most of the ones you mentioned are race geometry aluminum bikes with carbon forks and stays and 105 components. The Felt Z70 is more comfort oriented, like a Specialized Roubaix. The F75 would be more like the others. They should all be very nice bikes. They all have mostly the same parts. Test rides may reveal some subtle differences.
As for the best time for a good price, it varies according to when the new models are released and when the old models sell out. For example, the Specialized Allez Comp would fit right in that group and they are already discounting them to make room for the 2008 models. They are already out of my size (58), but they have some 56's left at really nice discounts.
Old 07-28-07, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Test ride a Specialized Sequoia, if you get, swap the tires out at the time
of purchase for some nice cushy 28s.

Someone mentioned the Surly Pacer, what the two bikes have in common is long reach brakes. There are a few others that have them, but you will have to do some
hunting to find them.
Old 07-29-07, 04:46 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off the Novara Strada is a no name brand bike sold only by REI so that one I would immediately take off my list due to warranty hassles.

Just looking at the pics and specs on the internet, which isn't the best way, but it appears that the remaining 3 bikes are all about the same except geometry is different. The Felt and theTrek seems to have slightly better mix of components then the Cannondale overall.

You should ride all 3 for the final decision. And when I say ride, I mean ride NOT IN THE PARKING LOT!! Take them out to the street and see which one feels the most comfortable to you, in both your butt and hands and neck. Comfort is important the older you get. The Cannondale does have a sway back style rear stays that "should" make it more comfortable because it allows more stay flex absorbing more road vibration. The Felt "should" be the least comfortable because it's a compact design and it's seat is quite a bit higher then the bars which means your going to have more of your body weight on your hands and less on your butt where it actually belongs, plus your going to be craning your neck all the time just to see, something you don't want at your age trust me. But you have to ride them to make sure.

If the Cannondale is more comfortable then get it and not worry about the components because you can always upgrade when they break; that's harder to do with the frame! And besides Shimano 105 stuff is actually very good stuff for the money.

Last edited by freako; 07-29-07 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-29-07, 06:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all, for some great help. Now I'm going to go to the LBS and actually ride the things which, as freako points out, is the ultimate test. And who knows...maybe the LBS will suggest something I hadn't even considered.
It occurs to me that selecting a new bike is almost like selecting a new wife, except you probably get more quality time with the bike.
Old 07-29-07, 07:52 PM
just keep riding

I definitely think that extended test rides are the best way to be sure of your choice. But having said that, 15 years ago I had a shop order a bike for me based solely on what I had read about it. There was not one anywhere around that I could try and the shop had just become associated with the brand and I was the first person to buy one from them. From this risky way of doing business I ended up with my beloved Bridgestone RB-1 which has been my main ride ever since. After riding it for 7-1/2 years I considered replacing it and decided there was no other frame that I wanted so I upgraded the components and repainted the frame, making my old bike become my new bike. 7-1/2 years later I'm pondering a new bike again and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I make the same choice.

So to paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, I wouldn't recommend to anyone buying a new bike without seeing it or trying it out first, but it has always worked for me.
Old 07-29-07, 07:53 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It almost sounds like you are wanting two bikes. I have found hybrids are not good at either road or off road. I gave up on hybrids very quickly and although I now have both I almost always ride the road bike. The 90% VS 10% you mentioned sounds very similar to my situation. Go road.
Old 07-29-07, 07:58 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by freako
First off the Novara Strada is a no name brand bike sold only by REI so that one I would immediately take off my list due to warranty hassles.
I'm not aware of anyone having warranty problems with REI. At least in Atlanta, they have a good reputation for having good mechanics and taking good care of their bike customers. They send a support crew on the Bicycle Ride Across Georgia every year and I have found them to be top notch. YMMV.
Old 07-29-07, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Jamis line and LeMond also. The shops I have been in around the Burg are a little thin on inventory right now so finding just the bike you want to test ride(in your frame size) may be an issue.
Old 07-29-07, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THink about buying a used Trek Pilot 5.2 to get in your price range. All carbon, really smooth. Takes full fenders, wide tires, and racks. Has full Ultegra triple components. A great bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Michael's Pilot 5.2.jpg (80.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-29-07, 10:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep in mind the test ride can be deceptive if the bike is not set up close to your riding preferences for seat height, bar extension, bar angle, seat position, blah blah. Take some hex wrenches along so you hop off and play around with some adjustments--sometimes it doesn't take much to dial in. Also, if ride clipless, take along your own pedals and cleats. A riding companion of mine took along his own saddle! IOW, make the test-ride really serve you.

The bike that didn't seem "right" when you left the parking lot may feel better after a few adjustments down the test-ride road.

Last edited by CrossChain; 07-30-07 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-05-07, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its amazing how sometimes you have a good idea what you want to do, ask advice, do research, and then do something completely different.

I had this choice narrowed down to a few bikes that I thought I could afford. I went into my LBS to start looking and found a special on the Felt Z35 that put it solidly in my price range. So I'm spending what I intended to spend and getting twice as much bike. I couldn't be happier.

Then I decided to also keep my old road bike and thrown 28mm tires on it and use it for bike trail riding. That new Z35 shall never see crushed limestone.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.
Old 08-05-07, 03:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Its amazing how sometimes you have a good idea what you want to do, ask advice, do research, and then do something completely different.

I had this choice narrowed down to a few bikes that I thought I could afford. I went into my LBS to start looking and found a special on the Felt Z35 that put it solidly in my price range. So I'm spending what I intended to spend and getting twice as much bike. I couldn't be happier.

Then I decided to also keep my old road bike and thrown 28mm tires on it and use it for bike trail riding. That new Z35 shall never see crushed limestone.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.
Wise choice-Double the bike for half the money.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-07, 05:29 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
... Then I decided to also keep my old road bike and throw 28mm tires on it and use it for bike trail riding. ...
Too few people seem to realize the value of keeping a trusted, well-liked old bike when buying a new one.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-06-07, 09:07 AM

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Luck ?

If you don't know what you want, don't buy yet.