Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Big Dog Riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Big Dog Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 07:26 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Dog Riding

Went out for my ride today and ran into one of the faster groups that ride in our area. I know their route which is the same one I am riding so I figure I'll ride in a bit and see how I do. They were clearly just taking it easy at about 20-21mph for the first mile or so but I know when we get to the next turn there is a 3 miles straight away and the speed will pick up. Sure enough we make the turn and the hammer goes down, 25, 28, 30mph. I'm hanging on the end in 52/16 pedaling at over 100rpm, finally I look at my heart rate and its at 94% (184bpm) and I figure I better drop off before I explode. I looked at my garmin after the fact and for the 3 miles including about 0.5 miles after I was dropped my average speed was 26mph.

This is about all I can do, yet when you compare this to the pro peloton they do a lazy 25mph and the guys have HR at about 110bpm, I think Levi did the TT yesterday averaging > 32mph. It is really amazing how fast the pros can ride.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-29-07, 08:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be pretty damn happy if I could average 26mph.
Old 07-29-07, 08:36 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Excellent observation and agree wholeheartedly. On our 10 mile TT, the track record is around 31+ mph and it is only 10 miles. What these guys do at that level is truly remarkable.

The general population that doesn't ride will never appreciate the performance and ability of folks doing the TdF-or other tours as well. Unfortunately what I hear from folks who don't ride is the scandal side of the sport. Just sad.
Old 07-29-07, 11:09 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the type of riding I like to do best. I much prefer shorter faster rides than longer rides. After about 60 miles I just don't enjoy being on the bike that much. Another prop to the pros who not only go fast they do it over incredible distances day in and day out and then of course there are the climbs. I am just amazed that anyone can ride into Paris at the end.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-29-07, 11:57 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm stiil amazed at how relaxed Levi looked coming by me at the top of "the wall" section of Brasstown Bald during the Tour de Georgia this year. On a 1/3 mile section where I had to stop twice to keep my heart from exploding, he looked like he was out for a cruise. All those guys are amazing.