Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Divorcing my Brooks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Divorcing my Brooks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 10:15 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My newest Brooks B-17 is only about a week old and it feels more comfortable than my other one which I have been riding on since the spring, but the new one is on a 71 Varsity heavy steel bike and the bike absorbs a lot of bumps that my 2006 model Raleigh can't because its aluminum. I think I'm going to do some more experimenting with the Raleigh as far as the position of the saddle cause I think its just a tad too far back so I'm moving the saddle forward ever so slightly till I get it where I want it. It really stinks to want to like something but it feels uncomfortable, the Brooks may not be your cup of tea. I think if Ihad that much distance on it and it hurt, away it would go to e-bay someone will love it
Old 08-03-07, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW I have a Brooks flyer I use on a commuter. If the angle and height are not perfect it is horrible.
Old 08-03-07, 07:14 AM
carpe napum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW I put something like 1,500 miles on my B-17 and it still wasn't truly broken in. It had "conformed" a bit, but wasn't really comfortable. Then I happened to ride a century in the rain, and that did the trick. After that ride it fit perfectly, and the comfort today is I think worth the earlier hassle. As others have posted, I think there is some variability in the thickness and/or hardness of the leather between saddles, and some need more work than others.
Old 08-03-07, 07:25 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This discussion sounds like an excerpt from a medieval torture manual.

How anyone would put up with months of discomfort to meet someone else's (or the bicycling world's) established "standard" is beyond me?

And to mark finally achieving 40 miles of comfort as some sort of success??

Is it a psychological defect, or simply madness?

I think you should ask for alimony!

Mark me - riding the original factory saddles (out of the box) of my three bikes with 35,000+ miles with no discomfort. And, no further adjustments, besides seat height, have been necessary.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-03-07 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-03-07, 07:52 AM
carpe napum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People are different, obviously, and what works from some won't work for others.

Speaking for myself, my left leg is significantly shorter than the right. I use a cleat shim to compensate, but the leg length discrepancy still makes me prone to saddle sores on my left side when I am riding very high mileage. Been that way for 30 years. Or rather, until I put the B-17 on my long distance bike. Plus its comfy even after 100 miles on fixed gear, when you can't raise your rear end off the seat as frequently.

Its not for everyone, and the mysticism thing is of course nonsense. But if it works, it works.
Old 08-03-07, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
I have several Brooks saddles & most were comfortable right out of the box but were better with age. The leather thickness and stiffness does vary & I noticed the less expensive models seem to break in faster, usually 300-500 miles. My green B17 Champion Special is just starting to show indents after more than 2,000 miles & an acquaintance has one with over 10,000 miles that looks & rides similar to mine.

I rode my first Brooks back in the 80s when I bought a 1969 Raleigh Sports. It had a well worn B72 with deep indents & I expected it would need to be replaced. The seller recommended I ride it a bit before buying a new saddle. Good advice! It was the most comfortable saddle I ever owned.
Old 08-03-07, 10:51 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Is it a psychological defect, or simply madness?

It's both. Take it from one who knows.
Old 08-03-07, 11:41 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP:
Get a saddle that fits your sitbones, and no, it needn't be a Brooks. No one should feel uncomfortable for so long. There is no mystery here - the saddle doesn't fit you. It's either because of mal-adjustment, or ischial width.

For what it's worth, I'm one of those 235lb guys who is at the outer percentage in terms of ischial width. Most humans vary no more than 15% in skeletal structure size. The 17's are perhaps the uber-average saddle from Brooks. For me, they are extremely confortable til I hit about 85 miles. Then, my slightly wider sitbones begin to tell me that they don't like the steel frame under the sides. But then, it's at 85 miles, too.

I'm not sure if a Brooks saddle will solve World Hunger, but the the things do come from edible products...

If you stay with a Brooks, try the 68. Or, those Selle Anatomica's are really nice, too.
Old 08-03-07, 11:57 AM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm starting to think that my sit bones are perhaps too wide for this seat. I am a really large individual. I think that my skeletal size is larger too. Once when I had a chest x-ray they had to do it in two takes as my chest did not fit on the screen. So may be my big butt has wide bones under it. I might checkout a widder Brooks. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-03-07, 02:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I WAS one of those that had a saddle problem and During the Sore Butt period- I did try a Brooks- Most definitely not for me but that may have been for a reason. In 2001 I had Prostate Surgery and the saddle I had used for years was no longer comfortable. Back to the shop and I bought a new saddle with the Anatomical cutout and it worked- For 2 Weeks. Back to the shop and another saddle and the same result. The Prostate area was adjusting and it did so for the next 4 years. I could not find a saddle that was comfortable then Finally I bought a Flite Gel Max saddle- An updated version of my original saddle and it worked. I must have bought it at the time that the Prostate area finally calmed down- because this saddle worked. Since then 2 new bikes that I still have and those saddles are comfortable. I actually have a spare as I bought a San Marco Aero last year to replace the saddle on the Giant as it was a bit too Firm for me- so 3 bikes- 3 saddles that I do not feel and a Spare.

As to that Brooks- I have tried it since on the MTB but after a full year and about 2,000 miles-I got rid of it after a ride in which I stood up most of the way because the saddle was so painfull.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-03-07, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,173 Posts
Interesting, as I have just recently stopped using my Brooks, or at least one of them.

I have 4 Brooks (or had), on a Road racer, road sport/tourer (Heron), commuter/tourer and mt. bike.

I discovered Brooks after a year of Prostatitis, seemingly caused by a variety of different saddles that were a poor fit. That after 10 seasons and a ton of miles (30,000 ?) on about any saddle I wanted to use.

I actually used a recumbent for 2 years, before deciding to give the Brooks a try. In my mind, with years of enjoyment on bikes, as well as thousands of dollars in investment, a $60 saddle was cheap, if it let me ride a DF bike again.

The B17 seemed to fit the bill and I used them for 5 seasons until a month ago.

One of the problems that I could never overcome was chafing of the edge of the chamois where the edge of the saddle meets the butt. Bad chafing, bad saddle sores. That and chafing on the inner thigh caused by the sidewall of the saddle (I know that is a solvable issue by lacing the saddle walls). This made rides longer then 40 miles painful, as well as discomfort on humid days when I would sweat a lot.

A riding buddy then told me about the new Specialized Body Geometry saddles, with a "Fit Kit" for your butt that you sit on, with the sit bone indents in the foam telling you what width saddle. These saddles come in 3 widths, and I was surprised to learn I was the intermediate width at 143mm, which seemed to indicate the B17 was too wide.

OK, I could easily go get a B17 narrow, but I might still end up with inner thigh chafing. Or a Swift or one of the other models, that cost a HUGE amount of money.

Or try a Specialized, which I did. The first model tried was the Alias. Note that I dragged the bike to the store and sat on a wind trainer, trying saddles. This particular shop didn't allow returns on saddles, a stupid policy - I agree, but as they were the only LBS with a selection of Specialized, I was a reluctant but captive audience.

I put 450 miles on the Alias in 2-1/2 weeks. It does the job of supporting the sit bones, so IMO the Specialized fit method works. Chafing on the leg was eliminated, but not solved on the butt. I also found the saddle to be TOO hard, especially on long rides, but I'm a heavy rider (working on that !). Reviews I had read (after the fact - smack head !), from a rider of similar weight said the same - it's a saddle designed for a lighter rider. So, after some research this time, back to the same store for a Specialized Avatar, which my reading seemed to indicate might be a better choice. Gel padding with same shape and fit system. Slightly more padding. Cheaper too.

100 miles later and I'm happier. Still a bit of butt chafing right under the sit bones, but I'm now thinking it's the Pearl Izumi Attack shorts, which have a ribbed chamois. My butt is still a bit raw (sorry if that's TMI), so a few more days on the Avatar might change this.

Riding other bikes with the Brooks still feels OK, but for the long rides, the Specialized seems a better choice.

One odd sensation with the narrower saddle. I swear I get better power out of my glute's with the Specialized - as in, I seemingly have less pressure on certain muscles in the butt, that I had with the Brooks - note that this is on fast group rides, not commuting, etc... that might have been robbing some of my power. Or, it's a muscle adaptation issue. Can't say, except that for now I'm happy with the Specialized.

Steve B
Old 08-03-07, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops... wrong thread... sorry
Old 08-04-07, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Surly Bridge Club, 1992 Miyata 914

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Mark me - riding the original factory saddles (out of the box) of my three bikes with 35,000+ miles with no discomfort. And, no further adjustments, besides seat height, have been necessary.
You are disgusting. I hereby award you iron-butt emeritus status. I think we all wish we could have experience like yours. Alas, ours are not made of iron.

Bob
Old 08-04-07, 01:38 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by wrobertdavis
You are disgusting. I hereby award you iron-butt emeritus status. I think we all wish we could have experience like yours. Alas, ours are not made of iron.

Bob
Yes, and I ride in my underwear and don't use any kind of balm, etc. Perhaps there is a message in their somewhere!
Old 08-04-07, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrobertdavis
I returned mine to Wallbike for full refund. I tried to make it work, but ordered a Selle An-atomica in the meantime. My goodness what a phenomenal saddle. After working with the fit and adjustments a couple of weeks, its reached a state of comfort that I used to dream about.

Bob
I'm happy with my Speicalized Alias, but I have ridden a Selle Anatomica, and it was amazing. Definitely worth checking out. I may get on when I can afford it, and a separate seatpost, so I don't have to remove my Alias from its seatpost.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 08-04-07 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought the B17 Champ Flyer 10 days ago. Did Sheldon's rad break-in thing with Rawlings glove oil in a pan for an hour with the seat inverted and wiped it for a first ride. I liked it better than my factory saddle from the git-go. I put another 150 miles on it over the next few days and then did what everybody told me not to do... ride my first Century on it. When I say everybody, I mean it. But I couldn't resist, I rode it and finished with no problems. No chafing, no sores, less pain than my 1 1/2 year factory squat. Can't wait to put more miles on it and watch others wonder why I smile so much. My bone marks are developing nicely and now I will back off to Poofide for future treatments. It's starting to really look good too.
Sure looks like WE were made for each other, but you know how it is when the infatuation phase is still on.

Ken
Old 08-05-07, 06:37 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Brooks - do you ride them with padded nix or normal undies?
(maybe this should be a poll in a new thread - mods feel free to make it so if considered appropriate).

Just starting the experience with mine. A lot of my riding will be 'plain' as I use the bike for normal running around as well as longer stuff. Do I start the break in with padding or go straight to plain? Do I choose one or the other? When will the rotten thing stop being so slippery?

Richard
Old 08-05-07, 08:47 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, and I ride in my underwear and don't use any kind of balm, etc. Perhaps there is a message in their somewhere!
\\\

Ask anyone at Burger King what the message is: "Your'e crazy. Anyone who rides a bike is crazy. I don't care what kind of friggin' bike seat you use, or what underwear you choose--or not== you're carzy, you cranky old fart."

Last edited by Jet Travis; 08-05-07 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 11:09 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes, the concept of TMI just kicks in all by itself.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-06-07, 02:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, and I ride in my underwear and don't use any kind of balm, etc.
I have a mental image of DnvrFox flying along a MUP wearing only a thong.
Old 08-06-07, 03:04 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Not I, but we have a 74 year old former TDF racer who does - literally! (Well, at least a Speedo, and nothing more.) He rides a vintage 1950's 10 speed, all original.
Old 08-06-07, 03:05 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not I, but we have a 74 year old former TDF racer who does - literally! (Well, at least a Speedo, and nothing more.) He rides a vintage 1950's 10 speed, all original.

We need a picture...On second thought, maybe not.
Old 08-07-07, 02:34 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Thanks alot.
Old 08-07-07, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I imagine people in thongs, Denver Fox is not one of them. The chick going up Mt. Ventoux though.... Hmmmm is this a meaningful difference?
Old 08-07-07, 09:09 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took a vacation in Port Washington in July, and I rode the trails mentioned in this article.

But I did not see the woman in the picture (drat!)

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.