Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help me understand

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Help me understand

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me understand

I have a 2008 Giant FCR1. It is a 9 speed. 2 frount sprockets 50t and 34t. 9 rear from 11t to 28t. How fast can my bike go? I have been told it will be slow. And that it will be fast. What is the truth. I have been 25mph and I know I am slow. Will the bike go faster than that. If this is a dumb question I am sorry.
Tom
Old 08-05-07, 01:27 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot depends on the engine. Lance Armstrong could make that bike go faster.
Old 08-05-07, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike will go as fast as you can pedal. How fast is that?

Go here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and plug in your numbers. In the "Gear units" box, you can select MPH at various pedaling rates. Give it a try.
Old 08-05-07, 01:35 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>> Will the bike go faster than that.

Answer this: In the 50t-11t combination, have you got any "Delta-Vee"** left in your body? If not, you're in terminal velocity. . .if so, it'll go faster. Like 'Jet implied, it's all in the engine.

** - Power to accelerate.

Old 08-05-07, 02:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
2008 model so it sounds pretty new. Lots of adjusting to fit-Both the bike and your body- Lots of getting used to and a bit of running in.

About a montha go I went from an OCR 3 up to a pretty good bike. Took me about 3 weeks to get everything adjusted and until then- the well sorted Giant was more comfortable- more attuned to me and faster than the new one.

Looking at the specs of the FCR1- there is nothing that is going to let it down except probably the tyres. They are not the fastest around but Stay with them till you decide that you HAVE to have more speed- and the fit- and the engine are no longer holding you back.

As to slow- I have been overtaken by 12speed 20 year old bikes that weigh a lot more than mine does but I can achieve 25mph for a few miles on the flat and as slow as I want up the hills. Your bike will not be much different to My OCR3 so Don't expect too much till you improve.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-07, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
The bike is as good and fast as you are, even if you're very very good. It will also be a good climber with that drive train.

Who would tell you it is slow?
Old 08-05-07, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tntom
Will the bike go faster than that. If this is a dumb question I am sorry.
Tom
Put the bike on a car carrier and drive 100mph. If this is a dumb answer I am sorry.
Old 08-05-07, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I have a 2008 Giant FCR1. It is a 9 speed. 2 frount sprockets 50t and 34t. 9 rear from 11t to 28t. How fast can my bike go? I have been told it will be slow. And that it will be fast. What is the truth. I have been 25mph and I know I am slow. Will the bike go faster than that. If this is a dumb question I am sorry.
Tom
Tom, on the road bike thread, there's a bunch of guys who love this kind of calculation. Gearing, speed, power, all that stuff.
Old 08-05-07, 03:33 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to understand these numbers too (I looked at the women's version of that bike yesterday).

Is there a web site that explains "gears for dummies"? Whenever someone says "I replaced it with x/y/z", I wonder how to translate that, and how they knew what to ask for. I've looked around for info but not sure how to search for it.
Old 08-05-07, 03:36 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
https://analyticcycling.com/

And I have gotten my humongously heavy steel old mtn bike up to 32 mph on the level.
Old 08-05-07, 04:31 PM
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 50/11 gives you a pretty tall high end. I don't think that that would be a severe limitation. I raced (many years ago) as a masters racer with a 53/13 as my tallest gear, which isn't as high. The 34/28 ought to allow you go ascend Mt. Hood (just kidding, but this is a low gear). I don't see why this bike should prevent you from going fast if you want to and have the leg strength to do so. However, bear in mind that every component on a bicycle is replaceable/upgradeable, including the frame! I can safely say that at some point I've upgraded every single part of a bicycle, usually one piece at a time (although I upgraded all of the spokes on a wheel at once and ball bearings a set at a time!).

That said, if the bicycle is making you unhappy, factor in the "dead weight" of worrying about that all the time when you make your decision.

-soma5
Old 08-05-07, 04:34 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
When you are at 25mph are there one or more gears left. If not, is your cadence about 120. If not then yes, the bike will go faster!
Old 08-05-07, 05:54 PM
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
When you are at 25mph are there one or more gears left. If not, is your cadence about 120. If not then yes, the bike will go faster!
To go 25 MPH with a 50/11 and 700Cx23 tires, you'd be "spinning" at about 71 rpm. At 120 RPM, you would be going at an awe-inspiring 42.6 MPH, according to Sheldon Brown's website.

-soma5
Old 08-05-07, 06:03 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
How fast can my bike go?
Depends on how high the cliff is

Richard
Old 08-06-07, 09:11 AM

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put the big ring in front on the chain, and also the tiny one in back. Pedal as hard as you can.

That is what I do.
Old 08-06-07, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom
I'm curious who told you it would be slow. It seems to me that others have said, in numerous ways, that the person pedaling the bike has a great deal to do with ultimate speed. Still others have directed you toward ways of calculating speed when in a given gear at a given cadence. As I read your post, I couldn't help but wonder who told you it would be slow and why they would do that. My sometimes cynical thinking comes up with a few possibilities:

The person who said it would be slow:

1. Is an idiot and knows not of what they speak

2. Is a sales person who wants to sell you a new bike

3. Is an insecure person and wants you to feel inferior to them and their "fast bike".
Old 08-06-07, 09:41 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I think from the original post that there some showroom floor "snobbery" going on in that a compact crankset "only has a 50" where as "everyone knows" that a 53 is a real fast road gear.

Warning! This is the 50+ forum where "commonsensory trumps snobbery".

In other words, if you can max out a 50/11 you are in the top 1/2% here.

I'll stand on my previous statement.........at 25mph, yes the bike "can" go faster.
Old 08-06-07, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I'm curious who told you it would be slow. It seems to me that others have said, in numerous ways, that the person pedaling the bike has a great deal to do with ultimate speed. Still others have directed you toward ways of calculating speed when in a given gear at a given cadence. As I read your post, I couldn't help but wonder who told you it would be slow and why they would do that. My sometimes cynical thinking comes up with a few possibilities:

3. Is an insecure person and wants you to feel inferior to them and their "fast bike".
It was #3. I love the bike I have only had it for 3 weeks. Thanks for all the help I know from 18 miles saturday that the bike will go faster than an OLD FART like me can ride it.
Old 08-06-07, 10:04 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 50/11 at 120 rpm = 41.2mph. Now can you pedal that fast?

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-06-07, 12:00 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
It was #3. I love the bike I have only had it for 3 weeks. Thanks for all the help I know from 18 miles Saturday that the bike will go faster than an OLD FART like me can ride it.
Ah, but don't let the old fart excuse hold you back.

When I began riding last year, a 12-13 mph average on a ride was pretty good (on the flats). I was positively ecstatic to see peak speeds of 18.5 (again on the flats). Early this year, I was 2-3 mph faster across the board. At this stage of the season, I'm another 2-3 mph faster.

I'm told that most people who ride and train regularly reach their max in about five years. I have three to go! Maybe I'll catch up to what my bike is capable of.
Old 08-06-07, 12:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think from the original post that there some showroom floor "snobbery" going on in that a compact crankset "only has a 50" where as "everyone knows" that a 53 is a real fast road gear.

I'll stand on my previous statement.........at 25mph, yes the bike "can" go faster.
Can get 50/11 on the flat with a lower cadence than I like but as soon as the road goes up- It is change down, and down and down and-----

On the triple- I used to ride in the middle ring for the bulk of the ride- Only when the road pointed downwards did I slip into the big ring. And as soon as I get to around 35mph- I am obviously going downhill so I am Coasting. Have to admit though that I have coasted faster on the compact double with only a 50T-- as opposed to a Triple with a 52. So when coasting The compact 50t is faster than the 52t

Spike Milligan
Old 08-06-07, 12:46 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I ride lots. over 4000 miles this year and counting. I'm not fast, so take this with a grain of whatever.
My bike came with a 50-34 and 11-25. I swapped the 11-25 for a 13-27, so I gave up your tall gear! I only miss the 11 gear going down big hills. Really.
I don't think it will be a problem. You should (if you belong in 50+) be working on spin and not tall gears anyway.
BTW, you'll be loving that low end if you do much climbing!
Old 08-06-07, 12:49 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a compact 50 w/12 on the cassette and I can't push it very long on flats, and it will go faster down hill that I care to go.
Old 08-06-07, 03:04 PM
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan

Possibly the intent was not negative but well meaning? Maybe they were referring to the fact that the bike ridding position is a "sit up and beg" type and you are unable get aero on it; such as going into the drops to cut wind resistance and gain speed. Being aero and speed always go together.

Last edited by VeganRider; 08-06-07 at 03:14 PM.