Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I gots me a new bike--sort of (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/330675-i-gots-me-new-bike-sort.html)

tlc20010 08-08-07 01:44 PM

I gots me a new bike--sort of

Well, it is a new bike, but it is (almost) identical to the LeMond Buenos Aires that Ms Inattentive broke for me a couple of weeks ago (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=326392)

Before I got this "new" bike, I rode lots of things including an Eddy Merckx, Quintana Roo, Cervelo Team Solo, Orbea Onix (nice bike), Specialized Roubaix, Trek Madone 5.2 and 6.9, Seven Ti (wow), and learned the following...I really like carbon. Both aluminum and titanium let you know where every little bump in the road is....my butt is too old for that. Also, after all is said and done, I like the Buenos Aires a lot, so that is what I got. At the price point, it is as good as I need. My lbs got me an excellent deal from Trek because of the cracked frame.

The only difference from my old bike is that the new bike has a factory installed front triple (50-39-30) so I won't have to get a compact installed. I also got a fitting to make sure that the seat, stem, pedals, etc are all optimal for me. Got a set of Shimano 540 pedals and new road shoes. We'll see how all this works out. I have the bike at home all shinny and ready to ride, but Mrs TLC has asked me not to go out in the current heat, so I still have no ride report.

Trek gets the old frame back, but I can keep the 105 and Ultegra bits, seat, handle bars and wheels. Probably will sell them on Craig's list when I get them all inventoried and cleaned up.

While I am happy to have new wheels, I am not as thrilled as when I got the BA back in April. Ride report and photos as weather permits.

bobby c 08-08-07 02:11 PM

Did you get the Florsheim's fitted for the 540 pedals?

Glad to hear you'll be back in the saddle. Yes it is hot out there, went on a 25 mile hammering group ride last night - I'm surprised there were no casualties along the way.

Is the bike the same color? Will you have to get a new outfit to match?:D

SaiKaiTai 08-08-07 02:37 PM

Oh man, I just read your other thread. That sucks. Worked out in the end, though, I guess so no harm, no foul. Until she sees the bill. Forget not noticing the bike on the back, what the hell was she doing running into your CAR? Or didn't she see that, either? Jerk.

All I can say is that i've only had my LeMond for 3 months and I would be lost without it. I love that bike (as an aside, I have been averaging 200+ miles a month since I got it. Last year I was averaging 100 miles/month. Something about those LeMonds just makes you want to ride :D)

Terrierman 08-08-07 02:55 PM

That must make you feel really good about having the BA from the beginning. Making basically the same choice twice when given the opportunity to change up with no downside is a great testament to your selection process the first time. Glad you are out and about again (when it gets a bit cooler).

stapfam 08-08-07 02:59 PM

I started looking at bikes sometime in May- and I could not find a Lemond anywhere locally. Went to a shop last week and there was a Beunos Aires- in all its prime. That looked a fine bike. Just glad that you have resolved the situation- and fairly quickly.

Now as to the triple- It is surprising how little they affect your riding- Till gravity goes the wrong way. I have not tried the steeper hills on the compact double- but doing it in stages and the 10% hills for a mile take only a little more effort with the Double- But The double is faster. What will happen when I get up to the 15%ers- is anyones guess. Would not mind betting that a triple may be bought for those.

BluesDawg 08-08-07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by tlc20010 (Post 5028322)
Before I got this "new" bike, I rode lots of things including an Eddy Merckx, Quintana Roo, Cervelo Team Solo, Orbea Onix (nice bike), Specialized Roubaix, Trek Madone 5.2 and 6.9, Seven Ti (wow), and learned the following...I really like carbon. Both aluminum and titanium let you know where every little bump in the road is....my butt is too old for that.

No steel bikes? :(

Just kidding. :) Glad things seem to be working out so you are riding the bike you want. And after trying so many, you know for sure that it is the one for you.

George 08-08-07 03:19 PM

It sounds like it worked out pretty good after all, have fun with your new ride.

card 08-08-07 04:37 PM

Congrats on the new bike!!!!!!!!:beer:

Hope you get it dialed in a back to riding quickly.

Funny how I thought my old butt could feel every bump w/carbon. Thought I wanted an Orbea until I rode one. I settled on Ti because I thought it was the most comfortable bike I had ever been on.