Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Just One of Those Nights (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/330931-just-one-those-nights.html)

HopedaleHills 08-09-07 06:33 AM

Just One of Those Nights

A couple weeks ago there was a thread about those days when the ride is just magical because everything clicks. Well, last night I had the opposite. We took off for our nightly 12-mile loop through town and the first thing I noticed was that the humidity was really bad, 91F and about 1000% humidity. We have to climb a small 4% hill right out of our driveway, now usually my legs are fresh and I don't even really notice it, but my legs felt like lead and I had a pain in the lower back. It wasn't looking good but I figured this would all work itself out in a few miles. It never did. I felt like crap the entire ride, calves hurt, quads hurt, back hurt, I was just a mess. Then to make matters worse, on one of the hills I get dropped by a kid on a Xmart MTB. I stayed on his wheel and the little stinker was doing 17.5mph up a 5% grade. At the top he took a left and I breathed a sign of relief. I barely was able to pedal the last 4%, 1 mile hill to get back to our neighborhood. The funny thing was my wife commented after the ride that she was struggling too. Can the humidity do this when you aren't used to it.

But, I did have on clothes that matched my bike, which matched my shoes, so at least I looked good. :)

maddmaxx 08-09-07 06:54 AM

But, was it better than not riding?

My wife has recovered enough that I have been able to start riding again. I was off the bike enough so that its like starting the season all over. I'm out of shape again, slow and it hurts a little..........but being out in the woods Sunday morning was almost the best feeling I've had all year.

I did get to break in the new Maddmaxx jersey with :) :) all over it. I was bopping down the trail saying good morning to all the Ped's and Dog walkers. Boy did I get the "look".

stonecrd 08-09-07 07:08 AM

The humidity can do this even when you are use to it. My ride Tuesday the temp was 96 and the humidity was 36%, it was like a weight had been lifted off my back. My HR was 5% lower and my recovery time, going from 90% to 75% was very quick. Yesterday the temp was the same but the humidity was 60% and my performance was way down, my HR was elevated the entire ride, I did not recover as well and generally felt way more tired than the day before. My ride average on Tuesday was 19.9mph on Wednesday it was 19.3mph for the exact same 20 mile route. This may not seem like much but when you ride the same route 5 days a week you get pretty consistent on time, so 0.6mph is a reasonable size drop off.

Looking forward to winter.

p8rider 08-09-07 07:46 AM

I addition to temp and humidity you may need to check air quality levels. For the last three days here we have been under a code orange air quality alert. This alert cautions people with respiratory problems to avoid being outside and certainly not exercise.
I do not suffer from any respiratory ailments and so have ridden. Tues. evening I rode a 15 mile ride with my son and felt really beat, but I attribute it to the late day heat. This morning at 5:00 I went for my normal exercise ride, (temp already 81) and actually had a very good fast ride.
But watch out for those air quality alerts!!

stapfam 08-09-07 11:44 AM

Don't know whether to post it here or in the repeated recovery ride posting. I get home from work at around 6pm and on tuesdays and Thursdays- I ride. Not far but take in a few slopes- a few flatbits and a coffee. Problem is after a long day at work- I dodnot feel like riding- I still go-subject to weather- but those rides are hard. Legs that do not want to work- Lungs filled with pollution and a bike that feels as if it is not right. Went out last night- Wednesday I know but too late home on tuesday- and I even stopped riding at one point to make certain the brakes were not binding. The ride was not good. Only good thing about it- and even that was wrong- was the FREE Banofie Pie at the Cafe. Too much stock so as a regular- I got a free slice. Only problem is- I am allergic to bananas.

As to whether those 20 mile rides like this are any good- Is anyones guess- but at least I got the legs stretched- got the lungs clear and got the HR up to working level. Just a pity about the bananas. But it did taste good.

oilman_15106 08-09-07 12:38 PM

Kind of had one of those last week. Leaving my house for the Thursday nite club ride coasting down the hill less than 1/10 of a mile from the house go stung on the inside of the thigh near you know what by a killer wasp or something. Man did that hurt. Made it to the MUP to get to the park and 2 fat joggers made fun of me(guess they have an issue with spandex). I mean one guy was a heart attack ready to happen. Smiled and rode on. Rabbit runs in front of me and almost had rabbit stew. Everything else was pretty normal for a 40 mile ride but the leg hurt for a couple of days.

BSLeVan 08-09-07 01:37 PM

Momma said there would days like this, there'd be days like this my Momma said. Yeah, humidity can sap it right out of you. But, on the other hand, you were out riding through your misery and discomfort. Does this mean that you are indeed a "serious" cyclist? Me thinks so.

Yen 08-09-07 01:42 PM

I think you answered your question in the title of your post.

As for me, I feel that way just stepping out the door on a very hot+humid day, but even our most humid day here doesn't come close to a typical humid day in most parts of the country.

stonecrd 08-10-07 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 5035933)
But, on the other hand, you were out riding through your misery and discomfort. Does this mean that you are indeed a "serious" cyclist? Me thinks so.

You know when you are serious cyclist when you do the second loop in the pouring rain or ride when the temps go below 32F. For me riding in the heat and humidity is tough but not as bad as the cold.

p8rider 08-10-07 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 5040563)
You know when you are serious cyclist when you do the second loop in the pouring rain or ride when the temps go below 32F. For me riding in the heat and humidity is tough but not as bad as the cold.

+1
I can go out any morning into 80 degrees and high humidity. It's easy to slip into bike shorts, riding shirt and just walk out the door. Facing those below freezing mornings in winter with shoe covers, long bibs, heavy shirt + jacket as well as a head cover under helmet just takes alot more effort

BluesDawg 08-10-07 08:00 AM

Sometimes it just be's that way.

Funny thing with me is I can never tell if it will be a good or bad ride. Sometimes I feel terrible as I start a ride and it turns out to be a great ride. Other times I feel great but just can't get it going. All I can do is take it like it comes. Endure it when it's bad and enjoy it when it's good. Even when it's bad it beats working or mowing the lawn. :)

solveg 08-10-07 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 5040563)

How cold does it get* in Florida???

Tom Bombadil 08-10-07 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5041964)
How cold does it get* in Florida???

Worse yet, we are talking the greater Miami area of Florida. The coldest average day of the year in Weston, FL is a high of 76, low of 59. I.e. June temps here in Wisconsin.

Tom Bombadil 08-10-07 10:26 AM

I've written on this same topic a few times before. There are days where I just can't seem to make the pedals go around. I've gone out for 20-25 mile rides and cut them off at 6. Last week I wrote about such a day when the temp & humidity was high and my legs weren't working well, yet I still completed a 43 mile ride. But it took forever to get done. I was stopping every 4 miles - which were taking 20-25 minutes each!

Yen 08-10-07 10:34 AM

What we eat (or don't eat) yesterday can also affect our performance (in any area) today.

I believe it can get "cold" in Florida. The idea that it never gets that cold or snows here in southern CA is a common myth perpetuated by the perfect weather every New Year's Day morning during the Rose Parade shown around the world.

stonecrd 08-10-07 10:44 AM

Not cold probably mid 40s is the lowest it gets down here. I am transplant from San Fransisco where it would get into the mid 30s in the winter mornings and grew up in Chicago so I know cold, which is why of course I now live in S. Florida. But believe me those mornings in the mid 40s feel cold after your blood gets thin.

Tom Bombadil 08-10-07 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 5042313)
I believe it can get "cold" in Florida.

It can definitely get cold in northern Florida, where it snows from time to time. Many of the old orange tree orchards there have been wiped out by deep freezes (mid-20s) in recent years.

Of course up here in Wisconsin, a January night that only drops into the mid-20s is a heat wave.

stonecrd 08-10-07 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5042755)
It can definitely get cold in northern Florida, where it snows from time to time. Many of the old orange tree orchards there have been wiped out by deep freezes (mid-20s) in recent years.

Of course up here in Wisconsin, a January night that only drops into the mid-20s is a heat wave.

I will say while I don't miss the endless cold of Jan/Feb and the mess. I do miss going out for a walk into a 6" snowstorm at night. Something about how quiet and peaceful it is with the flakes slowly coming down and the snow crunching under your feet, loverly. However, then you have to wake up the next day and put 20lbs of clothes on the kids, shoe horn them into their car seat drive through the slush and muck with your car covered in brine. Yep, I'll stay here.

Tom Bombadil 08-10-07 01:22 PM

A couple of summers ago I was walking by a sidewalk sale of winter coats when it was 95 degrees in August. I spotted a Columbia down parka, called something like a Arctic parka. It was marked down from $270 list to $80. I bought it.

I have since found out that it is too warm to wear unless it is 15 degrees or colder. At 25 degrees it is like being in a sauna - if I take a walk in it at that temp, when I get home I am dripping with sweat. At -5 to -10 I am warm and comfy in it, it feels like you are walking around in a warm bubble of air. But it is so warm that with our recent "warmer" winters, I've only worn it about 15 times across two winters. So I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it yet.