Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Bike: What Pedals For Use with Power Grips?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 06:51 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jp173
What a relief. After 1200 miles of unhappy riding, I got rid of the !*#@%^ things and put plain old flat pedals back on my Trek Pilot 1.2.

< https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/329403-got-rid-clipless-pedals.html >

As jp173 put it in his earlier thread about clipless ... I'm aggressively indifferent on the subject.

In order of events: Ordered a new road bike ... Ordered and received new clipless shoes with clipless pedals (Look design) ... Right ankle got deflated ... Road Bike came in ... Right ankle is partially inflated ... Riding my metropark park bike until credit card has received a cash-transfusion from the bank hospital ... Riding my metropark bike until right ankle is fully inflated.

I've committed to having the road bike mounted with some type of plain old pedal (POP) & Power Grips when the road bike gets put together ... until right ankle is good to go ... and until I am dialed in with the road bike. Having said that, and having never used clipless pedals, I must admit I really like my metropark bike with its:
1. MKS touring pedals: < https://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/14-020.jpg >
2. Power Grips: < https://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/14-046.jpg >

The biggest drawback with this pedal setup on 650B wheels ... and a size 50 Saluki frame ... is that I can not pedal, while leaning considerably into a turn, or the pedals will scrape the ground. The MKS touring pedals are great when riding on rough terrain, with the ample pedal surface space and all. But I should consider smaller & lighter POPs in conjunction with Power Grips for the road bike. The more lightweighted pedals will give a smidgen of increased efficiency ... and the smaller POPs should enable more pedaling in a turn ... for my small road bike (I'm 5'3" tall with 76 cm PBH) (the Serotta Legend is a size 48).

Almost forgot my question: What are recommended POPs to use with Power Grips on my road bike?
Old 08-09-07, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO the MKS Touring pedal is the only POP worthy of consideration.......
There is MKS and all others.....
Old 08-10-07, 05:15 AM

Bikes: Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MKS GR-9 pedal works well with Power Grips, isn't as wide as the Touring pedal so should be better in turns (I've never used the Touring pedal so I don't know for sure), and best of all still has the great MKS quality.