Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Repairing and maintaining your own bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Repairing and maintaining your own bike

Old 08-11-07, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My primary hobby/passion is restoring antique (British) motorcycles. I have a small machine shop (lathe, milling machine, drill press, welders, etc) to fabricate pieces and parts as required. I perform all bicycle maintenance/improvement including wheelbuilding.
The significant requisite is to acquire/use the best high quality tools. Cheap/crappy tools will end up costing more in long run due to damaged/distorted parts and inabilty to complete the task satisfactorily.
Parts aquisition is becomming a challenge...even for relatively late model, ie 6500 series Ultegra, components.
You cannot pay someone enough to CARE as much you.
Old 08-11-07, 10:10 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I also ride about 100 miles per week. Other than adding air, lubricating the chain and other areas, and adjusting the brakes and shifters, I have not done any maintenance in 2000 miles. There is very little if any chain stretch, the breaks pads and tires are good. What exactly are you all maintaining? Am I missing the boat?

Last edited by JPMacG; 08-11-07 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-11-07, 10:11 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to know how to do my own bike maintenance, but coming up to speed with the necessary knowledge and experience is another thing. I suppose I just need to dig in somewhere and get my hands greasy, have a good tool set and a good book handy, and just do it.

In addition to the Bicycling Magazine book of bike maintenance, is there another tried and true book you rely on? One of the local LBS teaches the Park Tool course, and I'm considering that too.
Old 08-11-07, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park Tools has mini tech classes on their website.
Old 08-11-07, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I am mechanically adept but I was still amazed at how fast I picked up on bike maintenance once I had bought a fairly nice set of tools. I've put the money saved on labor into tools and upgraded parts. So the bike has been much improved, which is real nice. The thing I like most about DIY is that the bike is always in perfect tune, clean and well lubed. Once you get the hang of fine tuning a rear derailleur, you are home free. bk
Old 08-11-07, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Specialized A1 Sport, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheel building isn't so hard

Several have mentioned that they do everything but wheel building. That is not too difficult either, as long as you have a truing stand. Sheldon has good instructions.

Leland Yee
New Hampshire
Old 08-11-07, 11:48 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What I'm liking about it is that I'm not "afraid" to ride a bike that is acting weird. I've been having crank bolt issues with a bike, and I was afraid of being 10 miles from home and having to ride back something which shouldn't be used. Now, I just throw my tools in the pannier and I know I'll probably at least be able to get home without riding something that's weak.
Old 08-11-07, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I'd love to know how to do my own bike maintenance, but coming up to speed with the necessary knowledge and experience is another thing. I suppose I just need to dig in somewhere and get my hands greasy, have a good tool set and a good book handy, and just do it.

In addition to the Bicycling Magazine book of bike maintenance, is there another tried and true book you rely on? One of the local LBS teaches the Park Tool course, and I'm considering that too.
I like the Park "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair".....mainly for the handy tool compatiblity and torque charts.
Old 08-11-07, 12:36 PM
It's all about the Ort.

Bikes: Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been doing most of my own repairs since high school - back in the days when the gasoline intended for the outboard motor was considered a wonderful degreaser and paint brush cleaner. I've been using my Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual since ~1976, only recently upgraded to Zinn's because I acquired a "modern" bike. Darn those brifters...

Originally Posted by guybierhaus
As a child, there was beer, cigars and tools in my parents home for me to sneak and do whatever. Didn't really care for the beer, cigars made me sick, that left the tools. At one time I've pretty much taken apart everything. After working on my own cars, a bike is a breeze. And I can do it in the family room in front of the TV. And now I even like the beer.
+1 on the beer Substitute Players Navy Cut roll-your-own cigarettes for the cigars and you've got my childhood. As long as we didn't use the tin snips as cable cutters, my dad was pretty cool about our projects.
Old 08-11-07, 12:40 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by roadnsnh
Several have mentioned that they do everything but wheel building. That is not too difficult either, as long as you have a truing stand. Sheldon has good instructions.

Leland Yee
New Hampshire
I'm going to find out soon. I got a great deal on a built front wheel - 32 hole Dura Ace hub, Open Pro silver rim and DT db spokes for under $50. I also have an Ultegra 32 hole rear hub in my box at home. I'm going to buy a matching rim and spokes and build a rear wheel. One of the wrenches at my LBS wants to help me build it so he can learn how. So I can use his truing stand. I've been wanting to try this for years.
Old 08-11-07, 12:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Those of you planning to start working on your own bikes need to know about the best online resources to find how to do most anything that comes up.

Park Tools Repair Help

Sheldon Brown's Repair Articles

Bike Forums Bicycle Mechanics Forum
Old 08-11-07, 12:49 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I have always done my own bicycle work, including wheel builds and bearing overhauls. I visit a local bike shop only for parts or when I lack an expensive specialty tool, such as a bottom bracket thread chaser or a super-heavy-duty fixed cup remover. I also do my own home repair/improvement work, short of re-roofing, pouring a concrete slab, or framing a room addition, all of which I did contract out. I do my own maintenance and light repair work on the cars, deferring to the pros for operations which require a lift and/or specialty tools -- unfortunately, that now includes automatic transmission fluild changes because some genius at ZF decided to do away with dipsticks, while claiming that the fluid was "lifetime." (Whose lifetime?)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-11-07, 01:00 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

Try www.parktool.com and in the upper right click on repair. Since Park sells the tools they are more than happy to teach you how to use them. Repay them by buying................wait for it................Park Tools.
I would gladly be a Park Tools Shill.......................
Old 08-11-07, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm going to find out soon. I got a great deal on a built front wheel - 32 hole Dura Ace hub, Open Pro silver rim and DT db spokes for under $50. I also have an Ultegra 32 hole rear hub in my box at home. I'm going to buy a matching rim and spokes and build a rear wheel. One of the wrenches at my LBS wants to help me build it so he can learn how. So I can use his truing stand. I've been wanting to try this for years.
You will enjoy wheelbuilding. You can work around not having a dishing gauge and tensionometer, but they are significant assetts to the finished wheel. I lace my wheels per Gerd Schraner's "The Art of of Wheelbuilding" book with great success/satisfaction.
About 3 years ago, I assembled a pair of wheels with Ultegra hubs, DT db spokes and Open Pro rims. They are EXCELLENT wheels but the OP rims are a bit "touchy" or sensative in the truing/tensioning stage......patience. FWIW...I used the DT Swiss spoke length calculator and the "calculated" spoke lengths were about 1mm too long......for the Open Pro actual ERD.
Old 08-11-07, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMacG
I also ride about 100 miles per week. Other than adding air, lubricating the chain and other areas, and adjusting the brakes and shifters, I have not done any maintenance in 2000 miles. There is very little if any chain stretch, the breaks pads and tires are good. What exactly are you all maintaining? Am I missing the boat?
I will try to list what I have done to this bike since buying it about 7 weeks ago. First, I changed the wheels, mostly because I believed the wheels I had on my previous road bike would be better than the new ones. I changed the wheels and tires, which meant changing the cassette also. Then the stem was too long, so I replaced it with one I had. After a few climbs I found I needed diffent gears, so I had to order a new cassette and install it. Then the tires needed to be replaced. I ride at a weight just under 240 pounds. I cannot get 2000 miles out of a set of tires. Then the back wheel hub flange broke. It was under warranty. I had to change the tires and install the cassette again. The bolt for the FSA crankset has started backing out, so I am dealing with that. Of course the standard cleaning and adjusting is also involved.
Old 08-11-07, 08:08 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "usual suspects" (Park Tool manual, Lennard Zinn's books) are excellent manuals (I have Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance), but for the beginner or "casual" mechanic I suggest a little book I picked up at Barnes & Noble one day: DK Bicycle Repair Manual by Chris Sidwells, Dorling Kindersley (DK) Publishing. It's glossy and may seem superficial but it's clear and covers the basics of all kinds of bikes - from adjusting derailleurs to maintaining the shocks on mountain bikes, to the coaster brake on your grandkid's bike.

It might be all you need (plus tools) for most routine maintenance and adjustments.
Old 08-11-07, 08:30 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMacG
Brake adjustment & pad dressing, wheel true, chain, general cleaning, derailleur tweeking (rare to require), pulley lube, check fasteners. Longer intervals (very long now) - bearings.

Example from brakes: The DA brakes I'm using have a nice fine adjuster. I end up hitting these a couple of times a week. No idea why they end up just slightly out of adjustment, but they do.

I suspect two influences on the apparent level of effort required. First, some people like things tuned in very nicely. I'm one of them. I want both the pads to hit at the same time. The chain to feel silky if I move it by hand. Wheels to be absolutely true. No creaks, squeeks, or anything at all out of whack. Second, some people are more busy than others. I run a business and have a house with associated property to tend to. Anything that adds to that load looms fairly large. Not much time, but it is still time. I can build up a bike from a frame quickly, but it is still time away from my family.

Certainly having tools helps. I've got a full Campy tool kit, adjustable reamers, bank of solvents and lubricants, etc. The right tools really help. I only rarely use some of them, but they're available when I need them. Unfortunately some are quite obsolete. I couldn't begin to count how many bikes I've built up.
Old 08-12-07, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got four road bikes each of which see over 1000 miles per year. I've only run into two problems that I couldn't resolve and that required the help of the LBS. One good thing about having more than one road bike, if you're caring for them yourself, is you don't feel rushed to complete a repair so you can "ride tomorrow." I find that I can walk away from anything that frustrates me or for which I'm unsure of how to proceed. Then I take a day or two to figure it out, while riding one of the other bikes.
Old 08-12-07, 02:32 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Yup, sames as Blues Dawg I started with a few tools, made a few adjustments then a few more, then regreased a few hubs followed by a bottom bracket and so on. Now I've flipped a bunch of bikes to pay for the tools and bike stand. I've just about completed my first frame up build. I have a truing stand and I'll true wheels, but after building one wheel I've decided it's less of a hassle to buy off ebay or new.

Recommendation: When I initially decided to work on my own bikes, someone on bike forums, I can't rememeber who, recommended buying a beater at a garage sale stripping it and putting it back together. So I picked up a $5 Magna, stripped it to learn what the parts looked like, then discarded it. I followed that exercise with a yard sale Trek 800 MTB for $25, stripped it down, lubed what needed to be lubed, replaced the chain and cassette and gave it to my son for college. Along the way I've replaced cables bottom brackets (cartridge and non-cartridge), shifters etc. on numerous bikes I've flipped. It's been a blast. Where I used to be afraid to touch a rear derailer, now I'll change one out just to see if another provides better shifting.
Old 08-12-07, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
After several months into biking I realized how much maintenance and repairs are needed on bicycles. I try to ride a minimum of 100 miles each week, and have done that except two weeks since the first of March. I have found that parts wear out, seemingly quickly. I was taking my bike to the LBS. The problems I found with that was the number of times the repairs would take at least a week. This time factor was mixed with some hefty hourly rates, so I bought a basic set of tools along with a bike stand and a bike repair book. So far, this has worked very well. I was wondering if most of you do this, or very few of you do this. For those that do have their own tools, are you glad you did this?
This is buried so deep nobody's ever going to read it, but if you're wearing out parts quickly, you may be doing something wrong. I built up my Atlantis (bought the frame, fork and wheels, everything else is out of the garage) almost four years ago, ride from 0 to 200 mpw with an average of about 70, and the only thing I've replaced is one spoke and a pair of tires I cut on a rocky trail. I'm about due for a new chain, but everything else seems to be working--I haven't even repacked the headset or hubs.
FWIW, I do all my own maintenance and repairs except wheelbuilding. I can replace a spoke, and I'm OK at truing the wheel afterward, but building from scratch intimidates me.
Old 08-14-07, 01:46 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've done all my own maintenance, but my current apartment is tiny and had beige carpets so it's not very bike repair friendly. So I find myself going to the LBS.

That's why everyone should have a spare bike.
Old 08-14-07, 03:31 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the newbies, or those who prefer to see it done, rather than read about it, I've had good luck with some of the DVD's available from www.probikekit.com.

I have their DVD's for brakes, gears, headsets, and handlebar taping. At less than $7 US each, they're a bargain...the material is presented well, and the camera angles really helped me to figure out what's what on the bike (much more so than some of the cryptic drawings in the various books I have).
Old 08-14-07, 08:31 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could say I work on my bikes a bit. My 1984 Nimbus the day I brought it home last October:

The same bike yesterday:

Old 08-14-07, 09:00 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have more than a dozen bikes I've rebuilt, restored, or repaired. I've had to start giving them away to make more room for the next projects. Road, Mtb, SingleSpeed, Bents, Tandems, ... I think I spend more time working on them than riding them.
Old 08-14-07, 09:02 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Hey Bud Bent. Are you my long lost twin?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.