Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Zero to 100 miles in 6 months flat?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HI everyone...I've been lurking for a while and like what I've read here. I'm returning to cycling after several years off. I have a good triple-ringed bike that I've refitted with a technomic stem for a more upright position. Otherwise, bike fit is good. I've been riding 10-15 miles most days of the week for the past few weeks-- and having a youthful ball! I'd like a long range goal.......doing a flat, organized ride, local century (100m) in 6 months. I'm 60 and have no special health problems other than a lack of fitness. Can I realistically expect to progress so I can do it at a "survivor" level?

With daylight savings and work, weekday rides won't be much possible. I do have most of November and March off from work. I also have a trainer I will ride weekday evenings. Weekends I can do longer rides unless is rains (no snow here) which it undoubtedly will.

Century or not, I will ride and post my progress and questions here. Glad to have found you all.
Old 10-27-07, 12:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
6 months and if the mind is willing- you will do it. Have to get saddle time up and also increase the strength in the Legs and Lungs. I know I am ready for a long ride once I can do a 4 hour ride non-stop. (Butt attunement) and I can do a particular 30 mile hilly ride offroad in 2.5 hours. Then I am ready for any ride that I wish to do.

EXCEPT---- 100 miles has a kick to it at around the 70 mile mark. But we'll let you know about that one nearer the ride. In the meantime- Get yourself out on the Hills, and plenty of them, and do the occasional 20 mile ride at 2mph faster than your current riding rate.(When you get up to 30 mile rides, that is)

Good luck but you won't need it- Just good training.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-27-07, 01:34 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding the first of November, 06 after many many years of no riding. I rode my first century (Palm Springs) in February, 07 (this was on a tandem). Since then I have done 9 centuries and numerous metric plus rides. It can be done but as Stapfam said, you need to get in some saddle time. You need to increase your distances on the weekends. Kick up the mileage each time. Get in some climbing. You will need to push yourself to find your limits and then push those a little each time. Use your trainer during the week when darkness is keeping you off the road. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-27-07, 02:07 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome - Great you poked your head up and said something!

You can do it but it will take a lot of discipline particularly since you won't be able to get out on the weekdays. I know I am ready when I can do a metric and not feel dead and a 30 mile ride is a walk in the park. After that the only thing you need to learn is how to pace, feed and hydrate yourself so you don't spend it all in the first 50. You will need to go for time in the saddle on the weekends because you will probably slit your wrists trying to go for time in the saddle on a trainer (I know I can't spend more than an hour without going crazy). You may also try a spinning class.

You will probably need to get on the trainer 3 or 4 times during the week for an hour of hard riding. You may want to get a Heart rate meter to guage your progress on the trainer. I have not used an HRM for years but I know my body pretty well and I know when I am pushing my limits on the trainer. Others here may be able to give you better advice on how to get the most out of a trainer for such an event. I would certainly be interested in those posts as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-07, 04:58 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome. I believe you're already well on your way to that century mark.
Like everyone already mentioned, saddle time...saddle time...saddle time.
Also, like DG is credited to saying "Cycling is 50% physical and 90% mental."
I'll bet your body will be ready before your mind realizes it.
Old 10-27-07, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have trained folks like you to do a 100 miler in 3 months time.
Very do-able but . . . you have to put in the miles on the saddle; increase mileage weekly, work a bit on speed. Inspiration + perspiration! Go do it!
Old 10-27-07, 08:29 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricycle Blue
Can I realistically expect to progress so I can do it at a "survivor" level?
Absolutely. Yes, it will take discipline (i.e., regular training) and determination (i.e., longer and longer saddle times), but it can be done. I started riding four years ago (~46) and was able to complete a century after 10 weeks of training. Mind you, the route was flat as a pancake (the Seagull century out on Maryland's Eastern shore), but I finished and have riding off & on ever since.
Old 10-27-07, 08:46 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the century after a half year of road biking. Two things were required. First: Saddle time was requred. This means that the time you think it takes is not enough. Second: As I trained for my first century and during my first century I had to learn that when I was pedaling and started to think I could not make it, I had to stop thinking and keep pedaling.
I know this probably sounds simplistic, but who said cyclist are deep thinkers?
Old 10-27-07, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride on the weekends as much as you can. Look at 25-30 miles for the first month, both Saturday aand Sunday if possible, then add on 10 miles a month after that. Just ride as often as you can at a comfortable pace.
For your trainer, nothing is more boring than staring at the wall. Run a cable, or whatever, and put a TV near your trainer.
Old 10-27-07, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After spending last winter on a trainer at the Y, I came out much stronger in the spring. It really surprised me how much help the stationary bike was. I suggest long rides on the weekends and 2-3 nights on the trainer, working hard. Then shoot for a 7 - 8 hour century, and you'll do it.
Old 10-27-07, 09:32 PM
Steve MacK

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I can attest, it can be done. I'm 54, was carrying a few extra pounds. I started riding an old mtn bike on the road last spring, did a nice, easy 30 miler in March. upgraded to a road bike in May, and accomplished my first century the first week of October. Through spring and summer, I was doing about 80 miles a week, and along the way did a supported metric century and several 40 and 50 mile runs. Bit by bit, go at your own pace, you can do it!

Old 10-27-07, 10:20 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
I've been riding 25+ years and only do a century once maybe twice a year. When the kids were little, not at all. Why have you set this goal? Do you think it will improve the enjoyment or quality of your riding? Fitness can be improved greatly without centuries. Mind you I'm not against personal goals or riding centuries, but MY goal is to be riding regularly, enjoying it and putting in 100+ mile weeks for as long as possible - til at least 75 or beyond.

As others have stated, with the appropriate training and steady increase in miles, preparing for a relatively flat century in 6 months is a very do-able at 60. Wasn't it DnvrFox that did Ride the Rockies on a mtb bike in his first year back at 55? That is almost a week @ 400+ miles and a gazillion feet of climbing.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-27-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
If you are in otherwise good health, there is no reason you won't be able to do this. Just keep increasing your distance as others have said, but don't do it too gradually. Some day just do a 50 or a metric 62. You'll be surprised at how easy it is once you're going.

I'm not 60 yet but at 52 I don't feel anything holding me back. I still try to stay with the medium-fast groups. I can't keep up with the A+ riders anymore, but have no trouble with a slightly slower pace. On my own I almost never get passed by anyone so I must be doing OK.

I only did one century this year, the NYC Century and that almost doesn't count because of the type of riding. There's a lot of stop and go, it is NYC after all. But I did at least 5 80+ rides on my own, plus a lot of 60+ rides alone and in a group. I got home the other day from the "Tour de Bronx" and my odometer said 70, even though the tour itself is only 45. It was 12 miles each way to and from the ride. It didn't feel like anything.
Old 10-27-07, 11:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all above for your advice and encouragement....what I mostly picked up is to ride regularly and increasingly longer distances, vary my pace, and stay with it. My reasons for pointing towards a century are two. One, when younger I thought it a good goal to guide my riding development--but kids and other things kept me from seriously working toward such a goal. So now I have an old score to settle with fate and aging 8-). Two, I'm no Type A personality, but a definable goal will make riding more meaningful and directed. Oddly enough, my last two weeks have reminded me that I have perhaps the most fun when pushing myself a bitl.

Again, thanks....I'll be returning with questions and comments. I feel like I'm not riding alone any more!
Old 10-28-07, 12:36 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 59 and started riding for the first time in 15 years on June 23, when I bought my 'bent. I did my first century on July 22. However, I had been working out (interval and weight training in the gym) for a full year before that, so I was in good shape. I think what helped me a lot was doing 60 to 70 mile rides on the weekend. If you can do 70 miles, you can do 100.

After you do your first century, the next one is not nearly so daunting. I did another one last Saturday on the spur of the moment, just because I was feeling strong that day.
Old 10-28-07, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Good to have you here. Not much I can add to all the good advice given already. Keep at it, and remember - as you get more fit the fun gets even better.
Old 10-28-07, 02:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can do two 50 milers back to back in two days, you can do a century. Once you have reached that level of fitness, it's more of a psychological barrier than anything else.

Unsupported centuries are a bit tougher because you are always worrying about hydration.

For fun read the long distance forum. Those folks don't consider rides long distance until after they pass the 100 mile mark.
Old 10-28-07, 06:44 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Naw, it is impossible for folks in their 60's to do a Century of any kind!

Just ask us young whippersnappers! We know.

Give it up and go back to pedaling to and from the grocery store!

(Oops - that is the attitude they seem to have at our local rec department)

GO FOR IT!
Old 10-28-07, 07:38 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tricycle Blue
HI everyone...I've been lurking for a while and like what I've read here. I'm returning to cycling after several years off. I have a good triple-ringed bike that I've refitted with a technomic stem for a more upright position. Otherwise, bike fit is good. I've been riding 10-15 miles most days of the week for the past few weeks-- and having a youthful ball! I'd like a long range goal.......doing a flat, organized ride, local century (100m) in 6 months. I'm 60 and have no special health problems other than a lack of fitness. Can I realistically expect to progress so I can do it at a "survivor" level?

With daylight savings and work, weekday rides won't be much possible. I do have most of November and March off from work. I also have a trainer I will ride weekday evenings. Weekends I can do longer rides unless is rains (no snow here) which it undoubtedly will.

Century or not, I will ride and post my progress and questions here. Glad to have found you all.
I taught myself to ride a bike for the first time at age 41. My first ride was a mile and a half and ended in a crash when a mailbox jumped in front of me. I rode my first century a bit more than 9 months later. If I can do it, you can. Heck, if I can do it, anyone can.