Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Red shorts report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Red shorts report

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red shorts report

OK, I'vew figured for a while now that, you know, just a nice teeshirt under a Goretex cycling jacket was fine... I wasn't a real "cyclist" so what did I need a jersey for? besides, they're kind of form-fitting and -let's face it- at 54 and a 20 year couch potato, my form ain't all that yet. But I finally thought, "What the heck, let's try one". I liked it so I bought another jersey and now I'm about to get 2 or 3 more to throw into the rotation. I love 'em.

But, shorts? No way. I'd feel like a total poseur and besides, I'd feel like something out of The Rutles ("It was the trousers... They're really quite revealing. Left nothing to the imagination..."). No not for me, plus see that comment above about being 54, etc.

But I just had this nagging little curiosity... everyone says they're the only way to go... so I got my red pair and yesterday I tried 'em out. They are everything people say they are. From the get go, they are comfortable and feel great in the saddle (especially if your saddle is a Brooks ). I just felt like I had more snap in my legs and I was never ever aware of them. They didn't rub me in funny places, they didn't hurt... They made me go faster. I am now ready to buy a couple more to t ry them out. Not sure which ones yet... I guess they don't make XL Blue Monacos anymore. No worries I'll find some to try.
Old 08-12-07, 05:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wait till you try bibs! Especially if your body is a bit - errr - lumpy.
Old 08-12-07, 05:59 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
OK, I'vew figured for a while now that, you know, just a nice teeshirt under a Goretex cycling jacket was fine... I wasn't a real "cyclist" so what did I need a jersey for? besides, they're kind of form-fitting and -let's face it- at 54 and a 20 year couch potato, my form ain't all that yet. But I finally thought, "What the heck, let's try one". I liked it so I bought another jersey and now I'm about to get 2 or 3 more to throw into the rotation. I love 'em.

But, shorts? No way. I'd feel like a total poseur and besides, I'd feel like something out of The Rutles ("It was the trousers... They're really quite revealing. Left nothing to the imagination..."). No not for me, plus see that comment above about being 54, etc.

But I just had this nagging little curiosity... everyone says they're the only way to go... so I got my red pair and yesterday I tried 'em out. They are everything people say they are. From the get go, they are comfortable and feel great in the saddle (especially if your saddle is a Brooks ). I just felt like I had more snap in my legs and I was never ever aware of them. They didn't rub me in funny places, they didn't hurt... They made me go faster. I am now ready to buy a couple more to t ry them out. Not sure which ones yet... I guess they don't make XL Blue Monacos anymore. No worries I'll find some to try.
I have two words for you: Chamois Butter

It is interesting how so many folks use cycling gear, not because it looks neat, but because it makes riding a more pleasant experience. Many happy, pain-free rides!
Old 08-12-07, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
I have two words for you: Chamois Butter

It is interesting how so many folks use cycling gear, not because it looks neat, but because it makes riding a more pleasant experience. Many happy, pain-free rides!
You meant to say "not just because it looks neat", I'm sure, because it surely does.
Cycling clothes are just so, damn stylish.

But, bibs? Um, don't know if I'm ready to cross that line.
Old 08-12-07, 08:29 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I now have about 6 pairs of baggy mesh fabric shorts that I've picked up at different stores on sale. I think I've paid something like $40 combined for all of them. And I really like them.

I do use cycling liners with them, I have Cannondale, Borah, and Andiamo. The Borah's are by far my favorite, and I hate the Andiamos. Have worn them twice and have no plans to ever wear them again, the seams dig right into my thighs and after about 20 miles, it is torture.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-12-07, 08:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You meant to say "not just because it looks neat", I'm sure, because it surely does.
Cycling clothes are just so, damn stylish.

But, bibs? Um, don't know if I'm ready to cross that line.
No one knows you are wearing a bib. The jersey covers it all. But they are so comfortable, no rolling down of the top of the short. Anyway, maybe you don't have my "rolling down" problem! Keep them in mind if you do. I bet a lot of folks that you see and you think are wearing shorts are really wearing bibs!
Old 08-12-07, 09:12 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride 6000 miles a year. And try to ride 3 - 5 times a week. Or more. My equation: Pay $1 for each mile you want to ride. Century? $100 shorts. I really notice, after the ride, how much better I feel when I ride in good shorts. I like Giordanas. +1 on chamois butter, too. Albeit, I use it much less with the good shorts.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-12-07, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't there a rather imfamous photograph of why one should not wear "red bicycle shorts"? I seem to recall seeing something like that.
Old 08-12-07, 11:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No! No! No!

Don't entice anyone to post that picture again!!

The burned in image in my mind is just beginning to fade from the last time it was posted.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-12-07, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
Isn't there a rather imfamous photograph of why one should not wear "red bicycle shorts"? I seem to recall seeing something like that.
Yes. Devil that I am, I sent it to all my female friends AND my sister.
Old 08-13-07, 02:45 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
No! No! No!

Don't entice anyone to post that picture again!!

The burned in image in my mind is just beginning to fade from the last time it was posted.
If SaiKaitai is thinking about wearing red shorts, I think someone needs to post that photo to make him aware of the embarassing possibilities. I, personally, agree with TB that I don't ever want to see it again, but maybe SaiKaiTai should. Just trying to help.
Old 08-13-07, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before you get too carried away, these are the red short:
Old 08-13-07, 03:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Look -If you start off with a Goretex Jacket- There is only one way to go and you have finally made it. I started the other way round- Got the shorts then the top and it took a good few years before I got the Goretex. Now all you need are the cycling specific socks and you will be there. (They do these in blue by the way- But you might aswell stay with red now you have started that way) AND to re-inforce Dnvrfx Those Bib shorts are fantastic. Not as tight round the waist so will allow for a 3rd portion of pie if you make the ride long enough.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-13-07, 03:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Yes. Devil that I am, I sent it to all my female friends AND my sister.
I've searched for that picture so if you can post it here again it might warn off DG on the white shorts.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-13-07, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do know that solid black is much more slimming don't you?

And if that's not enough, consider:

I'm still having a hard time even visualizing red shorts on that beautiful blue (not white) bike. Seems like I remember that the human eye/brain cannot focus on both colors at once and has to jump back and forth. Maybe that is why I can't quite see it....
Old 08-13-07, 03:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before you get too carried away, these are the red short:
OK, Never mind. In fact, I like them. What brand are they?
Old 08-13-07, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
You do know that solid black is much more slimming don't you?

And if that's not enough, consider:

I'm still having a hard time even visualizing red shorts on that beautiful blue (not white) bike. Seems like I remember that the human eye/brain cannot focus on both colors at once and has to jump back and forth. Maybe that is why I can't quite see it....
I can't tell you what it looked like either, but I went faster. Good enough for me
Oh, and I just ordered another pair of shorts (!)... Pearl Izumi Attacks from Performance. All black.

Swan652 - those are Cannondale Monacos. Got 'em from Nashbar.
Old 08-13-07, 03:29 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If anyone must see why you don't want to wear red cycling shorts, here's a link to a small version of "the picture."

I'll spare posting this in image format, so that only the brave and foolish can choose to follow the link

https://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/we...e_shorts_1.jpg
Old 08-13-07, 03:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohhhh, that picture. No, not for me. Uh-uh.
Old 08-13-07, 03:34 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swan652
If SaiKaitai is thinking about wearing red shorts, I think someone needs to post that photo to make him aware of the embarassing possibilities. I, personally, agree with TB that I don't ever want to see it again, but maybe SaiKaiTai should. Just trying to help.
I think I posted it recently in the Post that Never Ends...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-13-07, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I've searched for that picture so if you can post it here again it might warn off DG on the white shorts.
Hmmm...I must have deleted it from my stuff somewhere along the way. Imagine that!
Glad TB and DG furnished some info. This could be a great teaching tool.
Old 08-13-07, 05:39 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone must see why you don't want to wear red cycling shorts, here's a link to a small version of "the picture."

I'll spare posting this in image format, so that only the brave and foolish can choose to follow the link

Old 08-14-07, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Swan652 - those are Cannondale Monacos. Got 'em from Nashbar".

Thanks.
Old 08-14-07, 10:50 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
[COLOR="Blue"]No one knows you are wearing a bib. COLOR]
We'll know.
Old 08-14-07, 10:52 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.