Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One small victory

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

One small victory

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 05:24 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
One small victory

I got back into bicycling two years ago after an absence of 8 yrs. When I started again I was 193 lbs and doing my "base" route of 22 mi. at about 14 mph. This route doesn't have any real long hills but a couple 1/4 mi. steep climbs and some gradual ups and downs. Anyway, by the end of last season (Oct around here in eastern CT) I managed a 16.6 mph on this route. Last week (now down to 180 lbs.) I managed to do the ride at 17.8 mph. Now I'm thinking that next year at age 62 I could be knocking on the door to 19 mph. So, all you new and/or older riders "crank on."
Old 08-16-07, 06:19 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's great to hear that wine isn't the only thing that can improve with age! I know I'm certainly a better cyclist at 64 than I was at 54.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-16-07, 06:30 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that this is my favorite kind of post on 50+. What an inspiration to everyone and what an accomplishment. Congrats. That 22 miles seems to be getting shorter and shorter. I'll bet that we are someday going to see a post from you with a time of less than 59:59. I say that because I am 3 years older than you (kid) and am this summer posting my personal bests in distance and speed. Personal goals are the best kind. Thanks for the post and keep getting faster!
Old 08-16-07, 07:25 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rock on !!!!

Happy Trails
Old 08-16-07, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, baby! Ride on!
Old 08-16-07, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep... it's all about the small victories, isn't it?
Climbed this little baby last night (check out the elevation... 9% avg!). Used to do it every night but it just got to be too much of a grind so I went back to it. Did it with no stops -usually have to stop once or twice- and my HR under my doctor's mandated limit. The biggest thrill? I did it without using my inhaler before, during, or after Yeah, I was breathing a little bit at the top but, man it felt good.

Crank on!
Old 08-16-07, 10:18 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ride On!
Old 08-16-07, 10:56 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like more than a small victory to me. You are doing great!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-16-07, 11:08 AM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great thread. It caused me to think again about my progress and pat myself on the back a bit also. Thanks for that. You are indeed doing great.
Old 08-16-07, 09:54 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was a young man, I weighed about 145 pounds although I was 6'1". I started riding bikes seriously when I was 21 (I had ridden earlier, but never seriously). I had never been an athlete, I sucked at team sports, but the thing that I really liked about cycling was that I could see results right away. The more I rode, the stronger I got. I could ride faster with less effort, I could ride longer and longer distances the more I rode. Now I weigh around 175 pounds, and I've had girlfriends complain in bed that my legs are too heavy!

Eventually, you reach a point of diminishing returns, but by this time you are keeping up with some of the top guys in the region, accepted as one of them... And to add to that, I am convinced that it slows the aging process. I am nearly 57, but people think I'm in my late 30's or in the 40's. I still buy my pants with a 32" waist, just like I did in my 20's. Who needs a Bowflex when you've got the bike?

So, keep at it; the returns are definitely worth it.

- L.
Old 08-17-07, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree whole heartedly this is a neat thread. I often think my bike rides feed my need for instant gratification.
Old 08-17-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I am knocking on 50's door and "only" averaging 16 mph on my 22 mile track, I thought that maybe I was at the end of my speed increases. Thanks to your post I think that there is still hope I will see advances.
Old 08-17-07, 07:39 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishhawk
Since I am knocking on 50's door and "only" averaging 16 mph on my 22 mile track, I thought that maybe I was at the end of my speed increases. Thanks to your post I think that there is still hope I will see advances.
+1

I'm 52, and work and family obligations only allow me to ride 2-3 times a week. I,too, average about 17 mph for the 20-25 mile training rides I do. This thread has given me hope for the future. Thanks!!
Old 08-17-07, 08:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely post in this forum, but do read it often. This thread prompted me to say "Great Job" to all that aspire to not let age take control of their life. I'm 57 and have ridden on and off for about 10 years. Work and other life issue got in the way of cycling until about a year ago. I had not ridden at all for 4 years and was pushing 270 lbs from lack of exercise and so on. I'm proud to say that after a year I'm at 205, less than I weighed in high school. My goal is about 180, but I'm very happy to have gotten this far.

I split my time between cycling and spinning at the gym. To be honest, I actually spin more than I ride, about 5-7 times a week, but that depends on the season. It's a great alternative to cycling in the 105F temps we've had recently.

Anyway, congrats to everyone making it to the top of the hill with a few heartbeats and breath to spare.

Keep up the good work!

-Milt (Atlanta)
Old 08-17-07, 09:29 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
I think that this is my favorite kind of post on 50+.
+1

I think we should have a sticky for 50+ stories like this one. This forum makes the 50+ years seem younger than I ever believed they are.

Edit: By the way, congratulations!
Old 08-18-07, 02:05 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspiring stuff, bruce19. Thanks for sharing.