Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Blam!!!!

Old 08-18-07, 06:50 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Blam!!!!

Not sure which was worse.......

A blowout on the rear tire while pulling into a conveniece store or finding out the store was shuttered up.........and it was my only known watering hole on a 64 mile ride in the mountains.

Man that blowout was loud-my ears are still ringing!!! It blew out on the inside circumference of the tube and over a rim hole. It looks like the cloth rim tape just barely covers the hole so I'll redo it. I had a devil of a time getting the tire reseated on the rim as part of the tube right beside the valve kept getting between the bead and the rim. I finally figured out a fix but after I'd fidgeted with it way too long.

And found some water at a new store I was unaware of on down the road.

I was really out in the middle of nowhere. I had several plans running through my mind had I blown another tube on how to get back to my car-some 30+ miles away (I only carry one spare).

I also found out I am really out of cycling shape. But the golf game has never been better!!

Ever been stranded with equipment failure?? What did you do?

Last edited by jppe; 08-19-07 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-18-07, 07:26 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you made it OK.

I carry a few of the glueless patches and a spare tube. The patches don't last more than a few rides for me, but they are good enough to get you home. Then there is always the cell phone. Had to walk about 8 miles once when no one was home
Old 08-18-07, 07:27 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Ever been stranded with equipment failure?? What did you do?
Used my cel phone to call a friend.
Old 08-18-07, 08:13 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had a rear tire blow out one time as I was passing a couple who was on the sidewalk
(I was in the road). Sounded like a rifle going off. Yep, the couple jumped sky high.
Tee Hee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-07, 08:32 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I cut down a tire and blew out the tube while at the outer banks. Luck was with me, the blow out occurred right in front of a cyclist's cottage. We both saw the tire was toast so he offered me a ride back to my cottage. That was a lucky break.

I always carry my cell so I wasn't concerned because I could have called my wife. When I returned to the cottage and told her the story she asked if I knew the phone number to our cottage. Uhhh, the answer to that would be ummmmm, NO.
That's when I realized just how lucky I was that I hitched a ride.