Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

LOOK bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOOK bikes

Any 50+ ride any of the LOOK road bikes? Just curious.
Old 08-19-07, 01:45 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

Since you asked:

It's a 2005 KG481SL with a 2003 Campagnolo Record-10 group. I've had other Looks but this is the only one that I currently own.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 08-19-07, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi,

Since you asked:

It's a 2005 KG481SL with a 2003 Campagnolo Record-10 group. I've had other Looks but this is the only one that I currently own.
Absolutely beautiful! What LOOK in your opinion would provide the most relaxed position (more upright)? I have a bit of s stiff low back.
Old 08-19-07, 03:28 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Since you asked:

Good looking garage door.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-19-07, 03:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Especially attractive to my taste is its "normal" looking tubes......no strange, fat shapes or exotic bends. Or bizarre killer whale patterns that disrupt the lines of the bike. The more we strain to be uniquely different, the more we get out of aesthetic synch. Some bike makers just don't get that. (Subjective judgement of course.)
Old 08-19-07, 04:29 PM
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine:

Old 08-19-07, 05:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice Terry! How the heck do you guys bend over that far? I love the look of LOOK. I feel I'm doomed I'll never bend that far to ride one. I hate my back! No fair.
Old 08-20-07, 05:51 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorgeous bikes

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-20-07, 08:28 AM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kordon
Very nice Terry! How the heck do you guys bend over that far? I love the look of LOOK. I feel I'm doomed I'll never bend that far to ride one. I hate my back! No fair.
Hello Kordon,

Saddle-to-bar drop is not so much a function of frame manufacturer and geometry as it is of sizing and fit. With today's rising stem designs you can tune the drop through spacers and stem angle. Current Look frames are available in 2cm increments (instead of small, medium, large) which also helps.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 08-20-07, 03:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Kordon,

Saddle-to-bar drop is not so much a function of frame manufacturer and geometry as it is of sizing and fit. With today's rising stem designs you can tune the drop through spacers and stem angle. Current Look frames are available in 2cm increments (instead of small, medium, large) which also helps.
Thank you Cleave. So there is is no reason my LBS should not be able to fit me and raise the bars to accommodate my back issues then? I realize from an aerodynamic stand point this is "road bike" counter productive, but at least I can enjoy riding the bike I want.
Old 08-20-07, 03:57 PM
Lurker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kordon, I recently purchased a LOOK 585. Rather than replicate my setup on my old bike, the fitter (a great one btw) setup the LOOK with the bars about even with the saddle (3cm of spacers) with the intent to remove spacers until we found the best position. With the variety of sizes, I believe you can find a setup that will work for your back.

If a LOOK is what you want, go for it. I originally was looking at bikes from other manufacturers and tested rode the LOOK to kill some time while they setup a Colnago. It spoke to me (in French of course so it may have said “get you old ***** off of me you fool”).
Old 08-20-07, 03:59 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kordon
Thank you Cleave. So there is is no reason my LBS should not be able to fit me and raise the bars to accommodate my back issues then? I realize from an aerodynamic stand point this is "road bike" counter productive, but at least I can enjoy riding the bike I want.
How right you are. I have ridden Mountain bikes for years and only went into these Skinny tyred things last year. After years of setting a bike up to be comfortable- I was now trying to ride with my head between my knees. No I wasn't. within a few weeks I had the ride position dialled in with a new Riser stem and the bars level with the saddle. Then this year I got a top rate Bike. Full 15lbs race geometry bike that worked. Bars were 3" lower than the saddle- and that was with the Stem flipped over to raise the bars. I would still be able to adjust the height with a new stem so no problems. Except that the New Race bike was comfortable with the bars down low. Only had it a month and the Stem got flipped to lower the bars again and I now ride with my head almost between my knees.

If you "Want " a bike and you can get it set up to be how you want to ride it- Then go for it.

Edit--- Just take into consideration the other thing that us mature riders have to think of- Unless you live in the flatlands- Get a compact double crankset and a 12/27 rear cassette.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-20-07, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txdoc
Kordon, I recently purchased a LOOK 585. Rather than replicate my setup on my old bike, the fitter (a great one btw) setup the LOOK with the bars about even with the saddle (3cm of spacers) with the intent to remove spacers until we found the best position. With the variety of sizes, I believe you can find a setup that will work for your back.

If a LOOK is what you want, go for it. I originally was looking at bikes from other manufacturers and tested rode the LOOK to kill some time while they setup a Colnago. It spoke to me (in French of course so it may have said “get you old ***** off of me you fool”).
LOL, It will probably say the same to me. Thats exactly what I hoped to here, set the bars up even with the saddle and remove spacers till I like it. There is only one LOOK dealer in my area and he said what you did couldn't be done. Now I know it can be, think I'll have a chat with the manager. I would think selling a bike of this expense they would be willing to take a little more effort to help fit a guy with a bad back. Geeesh, thats what they're there for.

Last edited by kordon; 08-20-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
How right you are. I have ridden Mountain bikes for years and only went into these Skinny tyred things last year. After years of setting a bike up to be comfortable- I was now trying to ride with my head between my knees. No I wasn't. within a few weeks I had the ride position dialled in with a new Riser stem and the bars level with the saddle. Then this year I got a top rate Bike. Full 15lbs race geometry bike that worked. Bars were 3" lower than the saddle- and that was with the Stem flipped over to raise the bars. I would still be able to adjust the height with a new stem so no problems. Except that the New Race bike was comfortable with the bars down low. Only had it a month and the Stem got flipped to lower the bars again and I now ride with my head almost between my knees.

If you "Want " a bike and you can get it set up to be how you want to ride it- Then go for it.

Edit--- Just take into consideration the other thing that us mature riders have to think of- Unless you live in the flatlands- Get a compact double crankset and a 12/27 rear cassette.
Very interesting transition, there is hope for me. Good points on the compact crankset and cassette.