Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Trips to the shopsd are expensive. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/334505-trips-shopsd-expensive.html)

stapfam 08-18-07 08:54 AM

Trips to the shopsd are expensive.

1 Attachment(s)
I had to go with the wife to Sort out the new swimming pool for next year. Well I got a bike so she wants a pool. Sorted it and £2,500 later I had time to go and get retribution. Down to the LBS to pick up a couple of parts I have on order. They were not in so Looked around the shop with the cup of Tea I was given. They have a range of Rudy Project glasses in the shop and Whilst on Holiday- The wife sat on my cycling glasses and broke them. By chance- they were still in the car so went and got them to get the same model. Glasses are us (Uk for un servicable- or Broken beyond repair) but the red tinted lenses are good. So got the same model with a dark lens so I can interchange them. Then the helmet- Rudy Project helmet again and I started at the cheapest and worked my way Upwards untill I found the one I wanted. Sorry yen- but I did not want the pink and silver one- The colours will not go with any of my bikes. Settled on a Kontact model in Silver. It has a feature- If I can get the thing to seat properly- In that it has a mesh screen for the bugs. I have had a problem with these year so a worthy addition.

And yes- I am definitely on the slippery slope to the dark side- This is a roadie helmet.

linux_author 08-18-07 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5096097)
Glasses are us (Uk for un servicable- or Broken beyond repair)

- and here in the U.S. the UK for 'us' would be 'TU' (Tango Uniform or 't**s up')...

:-)

- and you, my friend, have expensive tastes! and here i thought i snarfed a good deal yesterday on a lot of 10 700x25 tubes during Performance's 20% off w/free shipping deal...

[sigh]

signed,

a cyclist w/Levi Leipheimer tastes on a Sheldon Brown budget

stapfam 08-18-07 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by linux_author (Post 5096636)
- and here in the U.S. the UK for 'us' would be 'TU' (Tango Uniform or 't**s up')...

:-)

- and you, my friend, have expensive tastes! and here i thought i snarfed a good deal yesterday on a lot of 10 700x25 tubes during Performance's 20% off w/free shipping deal...

[sigh]

signed,

a cyclist w/Levi Leipheimer tastes on a Sheldon Brown budget

Not expensive for quality and I have to wear it. I Can remember when I would go for the cheapest out of necessity and then struggle with something that did not feel comfortable- or just did not fit. And I can still remember someone buying a lot of Tubes because they were cheap- Not one single one was any good. Not saying that a real deal on a known product is a no-no- we are all looking for those deals, but On clothing- Or anything that I have to touch- saddle- bars- grips- brake levers etc. I try before I buy- You can tell the quality when you find it- That's why I start at the chesapest and work my way up

I did that with Cognac at a distillery in France I few years ago. Don't know if it is because I have good tastes- but it took 15 grades of sampling before I was happy with the taste. The wife drove home from the vineyard.

Yen 08-18-07 12:35 PM

Nice helmet!

Wait a minute.... you got a bike so she gets a pool??? :eek: I need to learn to negotiate better....

Retro Grouch 08-18-07 01:33 PM

So you waited until now to tell me!

When I owned my shop it never occured to me to offer a cup of tea to every customer. Sounds like a certain money maker to me but it's probably too easy to work here in the un-serviceable.

George 08-18-07 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 5096858)
Nice helmet!

Wait a minute.... you got a bike so she gets a pool??? :eek: I need to learn to negotiate better....

Wait until you get the electric bill. I had a pool years ago and when the filter turned on I had to hold the meter on the wall. I guess that would give you a chance to go to the LBS every month tough, bike stuff for a matching electric bill.:D

George 08-18-07 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 5097040)
So you waited until now to tell me!

When I owned my shop it never occured to me to offer a cup of tea to every customer. Sounds like a certain money maker to me but it's probably too easy to work here in the un-serviceable.

It was spiked.:beer:

europa 08-18-07 07:12 PM

He lives in the UK! when's he going to get to use a pool? Or are you buying some skates for when it freezes?

Richard

cranky old dude 08-18-07 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 5098139)
Wait until you get the electric bill. I had a pool years ago and when the filter turned on I had to hold the meter on the wall. I guess that would give you a chance to go to the LBS every month tough, bike stuff for a matching electric bill.:D

I was soooo happy when I could finally rip my pool out. No more $80 pool covers,
no more chemicals, no more filter maintainance and repair, no more opening and
closing the pool....ahhhhhhh. Now with so little rain this year, I've only cut the
grass that's planted in its place four times this season.

Of course, none of those were considered to be hassles during the years that the
wife and kids enjoyed the pool! When they got tired of the pool and spent all their
summers laying around the house (air-conditioned) watching the idiot box and completing
their summer reading assignments...that's when pool maintainance got old.

Stepfam...I wish you many joyful summers with your new pool.

Mojo Slim 08-18-07 11:15 PM

Shouldn't the picture of your helmet be in front of a garage door? :D

Digital Gee 08-18-07 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim (Post 5099642)

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

stapfam 08-19-07 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim (Post 5099642)

Would have done but it was raining and with the strength of the wind-It would probably have blown away- it is so light.

Ideal pool weather.

Just checked out the Glasses and helmet on the web- The Kontact is the only one they do, other than the Aero TT ones and I am surprised at that. Paid a bit more than you would in the USA but Still a good price over here for a good helmet. Those Glasses Though- I paid for glasses that fit- and I know how comfortable they are. Not into the "Oakley" price and probably not quality but at least the projects are comfy to wear. Put it this way- They are a lot cheaper over here. For the helmet and Glasses- With my normal discount and I think I got a bit more- I paid £90- Or about $180 for the two. Makes a change for me to be on the winning side when paying in comparison to You. That is almost the retail price for the Glasses alone that you would have to pay.

And on the Pond for the wife- This is one that will stand throughout the winter So I can see that this winter will be spent setting the Foundations out correct for a pool that will outlast me.

bruce19 08-19-07 11:29 AM

Good God man, stop your whining. Try going to the Ducati shop with me sometime. :)

stapfam 08-19-07 12:19 PM

Ducati- Now you are talking a dream and what price for dreams of that quality. Incidentally- Browsing the Bianchi Webpage today and they have a range of Ducati Corsa cycling clothing on there.