Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek Website up with the 2008's

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trek Website up with the 2008's

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom,

All valid points to make. One thing that I see TREK stressing in their new updated website is their warranties and now an EXTENDED warrantee. I do have to find out about what that's all about.

Chris
Old 08-22-07, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually like the look of that Bontrager City/Select saddle on the Portland. Why is it you cannot buy those separately? It's the same thing with the stock Bianchi Velo saddle. You can only get them as standard epuipment on a new bike and can't buy them separately. Makes no sense to me since they are not exactly expensive saddles.
Old 08-22-07, 04:44 PM
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone notice there is no Project One link anymore? I wonder if you cannot get custom paint and framesets now????
Old 08-22-07, 05:01 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They say you can still get custom paint jobs, but not the Project One color schemes.

https://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=1

Can I have my frame repainted at the factory?

We do offer a repaint program through our dealers. You can visit any authorized dealer in your area and they can show you the current paint and decal choices available. They can then quote you a price based on your choices. Unfortunately the Project One color schemes are not available for repaints.
Old 08-23-07, 10:47 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking that if the U.S. Dollar continues to fall against foreign currency, that it may not be long until stores here will want people to pay with Canadian quarters!
Old 08-23-07, 05:01 PM
Still learning.

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know why the 08 fx's lost the disc brakes?
Old 08-23-07, 05:21 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They only offered them (disc brakes) on the 7.3 and 7.5 last year, and even those bikes were also available with standard brakes. Looks like they moved the disc brake models into their expanded Soho line, where 3 of those have them. The Soho 3.0 looks like a ruggedized 7.5 FX Disc, with disc brakes and heavier weight wheels.

So if you had your eye on a 7.5 FX Disc, then just look at the Soho 3:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho30/

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 08-24-07 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 06:50 PM
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
They say you can still get custom paint jobs, but not the Project One color schemes.

https://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=1

Can I have my frame repainted at the factory?

We do offer a repaint program through our dealers. You can visit any authorized dealer in your area and they can show you the current paint and decal choices available. They can then quote you a price based on your choices. Unfortunately the Project One color schemes are not available for repaints.
Yeah...but then no component choices..
I emailed them to ask and got back

Project One will be available in January of 2008.
Old 08-24-07, 05:38 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwl6464
Does anyone know why the 08 fx's lost the disc brakes?
I didn't get to go to Trek World last weekend, but many of the changes were to attempt to keep the price point down. Trek tended to lean towards the AVID Mechanical brakes which are really nice stout pieces that work well. We've had some others in the shop (Hayes Mechanicals) that after 6 months of riding you need to pull the caliper off the bike and replace it with the AVID units.

Another reason to go back to V-Brakes on these bikes is to take a little more weight off the bikes also. Between the Hub, Rotor, caliper, and the mount itself you can save maybe a few ounces without a sacrifice in performance in MOST cases. For me, I WANT a disc brake bike due to the weather conditions here. This is one of the reasons that the Portland is so attractive to me as a Road bike.

Chris
Old 08-24-07, 05:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
I actually like the look of that Bontrager City/Select saddle on the Portland. Why is it you cannot buy those separately? It's the same thing with the stock Bianchi Velo saddle. You can only get them as standard epuipment on a new bike and can't buy them separately. Makes no sense to me since they are not exactly expensive saddles.
Are we talking this saddle?
https://www.bontrager.com/Road/Compon...ddles/6921.php

I know we sell many Bontrager Saddles and have done well with them. I was after the Bontrager Sattelite Select Handlebar and we had to special order that one in. That was one of the crowning pieces on my Clyde Bike!

Chris

P.S. As to not having the COLOR of the new Portland Saddle, they may have reserved this just for that bike for now. Might be a late 2008 release to Shop Stock.
Old 08-24-07, 09:29 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a related note, the Gary Fisher 2008 bikes are also up now.

https://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post