Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Amazing Bicycling Coincidences (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/335723-amazing-bicycling-coincidences.html)

DnvrFox 08-21-07 07:05 PM

Amazing Bicycling Coincidences

Yesterday, my wife and I were doing just a bit of bicycling on a dirt road (Gothic Road) just a few miles north of the beautiful, quaint, expensive town of Crested Butte.

We had stopped at a campground of only 4 campsites. There was one car there, and an occupied but empty campsite. It is like there will be perhaps one or two cars coming into the campground in the next 24 hours.

So, I go to start out to the main dirt road, and am blocking the entrance for about 30 seconds. Of course, just at that time, the two cars occupying the empty space approach the entrance to the campground, with the left turn signals flashing, and I am caught in the awkward spot of blocking the only two cars that will enter the campground in the next 24 hours.

I have had other "amazing coincidences" but can't think of them at the moment, so I thought I would ask if any of you experience anything similar.

SO, how about it?

BTW, this is what the area looks like. I didn't take this pic.
http://www.imba.com/resources/conser...l_paradise.jpg

Yen 08-21-07 09:38 PM

All the time! I get to a corner where few cars ever pass.... until I get there!!!

senlanhu 08-22-07 02:14 AM

that's a very nice place...

gear 08-22-07 03:42 AM

Last Saturday I was out road riding for three and a half hours and every time I came to an end of a road and an intersection with another road, there was a space in traffic. I never had to stop for traffic on the whole ride.

maddmaxx 08-22-07 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5117932)

Yesterday, my wife and I were doing just a bit of bicycling on a dirt road (Gothic Road) just a few miles north of the beautiful, quaint, expensive town of Crested Butte.

We had stopped at a campground of only 4 campsites. There was one car there, and an occupied but empty campsite. It is like there will be perhaps one or two cars coming into the campground in the next 24 hours.

So, I go to start out to the main dirt road, and am blocking the entrance for about 30 seconds. Of course, just at that time, the two cars occupying the empty space approach the entrance to the campground, with the left turn signals flashing, and I am caught in the awkward spot of blocking the only two cars that will enter the campground in the next 24 hours.

I have had other "amazing coincidences" but can't think of them at the moment, so I thought I would ask if any of you experience anything similar.

SO, how about it?

BTW, this is what the area looks like. I didn't take this pic.
http://www.imba.com/resources/conser...l_paradise.jpg

And, in the modern world, because of that an upset motorist is probably complaining that the !#@$ bikers are taking up more and more space everywhere.....:rolleyes::p

Jet Travis 08-22-07 05:30 AM

I used to train guide dogs for blind people. There are only a handful of schools worldwide, each independent and unaffiliated.

After leaving tht job, I took a six-month bike tour across Europe. In Italy, I turned down a very quiet country and happened upon the only guide dog school within, I'd guess, 500 miles. I couldn't have found the place with a map.

Tom Bombadil 08-22-07 09:31 AM

I was biking in Florida in a wildlife refuge, carrying a pair of binoculars to observe wildlife and birds. I had been out there for over an hour and hadn't seen anyone. I saw someone way up ahead, birdwatching. When I got up there and he turned to say hi, I saw that it was the person who had sold me the binoculars I was carrying. We both live in the Madison, WI area.

dorosz 08-22-07 06:42 PM

QUOTE=gear;5120339]Last Saturday I was out road riding for three and a half hours and every time I came to an end of a road and an intersection with another road, there was a space in traffic. I never had to stop for traffic on the whole ride.[/QUOTE]
:roflmao:

That is not a Coincidence thats a bloody miracle!!!

Tom Bombadil 08-22-07 07:06 PM

Once when I was out test riding a bike from one LBS, I ran into myself test riding a bike from another LBS.

Given how many test rides I've taken, I think this is theoretically possible.

Big Paulie 08-22-07 07:14 PM

A friend of mine was hitchhiking through Europe about 15 years ago, and a guy picked him up in Germany. As they were riding along, the guy who picked him up told him that he was trying to contact an American guy, but was having trouble. It turned out the guy he was looking for was me, and my friend gave him my phone number from memory.

DnvrFox 08-22-07 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie (Post 5125486)
A friend of mine was hitchhiking through Europe about 15 years ago, and a guy picked him up in Germany. As they were riding along, the guy who picked him up told him that he was trying to contact an American guy, but was having trouble. It turned out the guy he was looking for was me, and my friend gave him my phone number from memory.

Did you pay him the money?

will dehne 08-22-07 08:37 PM

This one is not so funny and I am feeling remorse.
I do this 46 mile bike ride this day. Rail to Trail with no one on it but me. Very bad weather predicted and was coming.
I own the trail and go all over it. Right side, left side whatever and go fast.
There comes this guy (thank God slowly) from my left and behind some bushes and turns onto this trail. I just barely missed hitting him. I stopped and apologized profusely. He was very relaxed and nice about it.
Moral of the story is: Go by the rules even if it seems the rules do not matter.

lhbernhardt 08-23-07 01:04 AM

I find that the most common bicycle coincidence - Murphy's Law applied to bicycles - occurs when you are riding in the middle of nowhere. The road is completely deserted. You haven't seen a car for the past half hour. Then, up ahead, you see a car coming towards you. As it approaches, you hear a car coming up from behind. On a completely deserted road, both cars and the bike all pass each other at the same spot.

I've had this happen too many times to consider it a coincidence...

- L.

tlc20010 08-23-07 05:55 AM

This one is so weird that you are not required to believe it, even though I swear it happened.

I was riding out on a virtually empty back country road in North Carolina when a pick up truck came barreling up behind me with two twenty something guys wearing cowboy hats and drinking beer. The truck slowed down, gave me a wide berth, passed me, and went on down the road. I never saw them again.

Trsnrtr 08-23-07 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt (Post 5127210)
I find that the most common bicycle coincidence - Murphy's Law applied to bicycles - occurs when you are riding in the middle of nowhere. The road is completely deserted. You haven't seen a car for the past half hour. Then, up ahead, you see a car coming towards you. As it approaches, you hear a car coming up from behind. On a completely deserted road, both cars and the bike all pass each other at the same spot.

- L.

That's what I call my Convergence Theory: Two, or more, objects will seek to occupy the same space at the same time. This also applies to events. For example, the dentist gives you an appointment six months out and the night before the appointment, a friend calls with tickets or an invitation to a once in a lifetime event. :)

Cassave 08-23-07 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt (Post 5127210)

- L.

Yup. Happens like clockwork. I've heard that called "Bicycle Math".

Tom Bombadil 08-23-07 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 5127690)
That's what I call my Convergence Theory: Two, or more, objects will seek to occupy the same space at the same time.

And this is just one variant the "Convergence Theory." Just like in a recent thread where we discussed what happens when you come into a little extra money. For just as soon as you do, then an unexpected and equal expense will "converge" upon your life.

chevy42083 08-23-07 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5128969)
And this is just one variant the "Convergence Theory." Just like in a recent thread where we discussed what happens when you come into a little extra money. For just as soon as you do, then an unexpected and equal expense will "converge" upon your life.

My girlfriend has gotten into a car accident, or had some type of car related vandalism each year for the past 5 years the month or two before tax return time. :o

Big Paulie 08-24-07 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie (Post 5125486)

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5125506)
Did you pay him the money?

:D

Between the "aluminum can snub" in another thread and this smackdown, I'm beginning to think my image needs a makeover in this forum!

Digital Gee 08-24-07 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie (Post 5138533)

Between the "aluminum can snub" in another thread and this smackdown, I'm beginning to think my image needs a makeover in this forum!

FINALLY...he gets it. :D

Tom Bombadil 08-24-07 03:31 PM

DG's consulting service can help you with that!

DnvrFox 08-24-07 03:52 PM

OK - time for a Big Paulie makeover

The OFFICIAL 50+ Forum picture of Big Paulie today:

http://members.aol.com/bfn50gallery/BigPaulieToon.jpg

Submit your makeover pictures.

DnvrFox 09-01-07 05:45 PM

Not a bicycle coincidence, but an amazing coincidence, nevertheless.

Today, my wife and I went for a drive in a newer ritzy area. She wanted to walk a bit, so I pulled over right next to some weeds so we could get to a rudimentary trail on the other side of the street.

So, we walked - about 20 minutes. All of that time, not one car came by. When we got back to the car, she asked me to pull the car out a bit into the street, sort of blocking the street, so she wouldn't have to walk through the weeds. OK, so I did that, and, yes, you guessed it (and I had a premonition about it) - at that very moment a 1 ton bobtail came up the street, having to slow down because of my blocking the street! After that, driving back, no more cars! You figure it out.

Yen 09-01-07 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5191473)
Not a bicycle coincidence, but an amazing coincidence, nevertheless.

Today, my wife and I went for a drive in a newer ritzy area. She wanted to walk a bit, so I pulled over right next to some weeds so we could get to a rudimentary trail on the other side of the street.

So, we walked - about 20 minutes. All of that time, not one car came by. When we got back to the car, she asked me to pull the car out a bit into the street, sort of blocking the street, so she wouldn't have to walk through the weeds. OK, so I did that, and, yes, you guessed it (and I had a premonition about it) - at that very moment a 1 ton bobtail came up the street, having to slow down because of my blocking the street! After that, driving back, no more cars! You figure it out.

I don't get it either.... it's one of the riddles of life.

cruzMOKS 09-03-07 09:01 PM

OK I am walking my dog in a wooded park. I have been walking trails in this park at least 20 times over the years and I have never seen another soul.

So this day i see three people on trail bikes so I decide to go the other way to miss them. I get to a nice spot in the trail and sit down. Not long afterwards they turn around and follow me and stop while 2 people waking the other way on the trial with their dog meat each other in front of me.

I grab the collor of my dog but there still is a small dog fight while the traffic clears.