Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mirrors anyone...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mirrors anyone...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirrors anyone...

OK ...thought they were geeky but they are extremely useful. I don't do much highway riding as I have access to extensive trail system in Denver but went on road ride a couple weeks ago and REALLY like the idea of seeing what's coming up behind you.

Any advice or general guidelines about helmet mirrors?

JTB
Old 08-20-07, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyb
They may look geeky, but they work well for me. I got the type that sticks inside your helmet. I carved a bit out of the inside of the helmet to recess the mounting pad, and glued it in good with some epoxy. Just make sure it's in the right place before you start doing this.
Old 08-20-07, 10:23 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take-a-Look....the best of the geeky Freddish mirrors that attach to your glasses/helmet...
Old 08-20-07, 10:37 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I've had two kinds of glasses-mounted and one helmet-mounted mirror and they just didn't work for me for several reasons: can only see when head is held in a particular position; too easy to knock out of adjustment; too close to focus my eyes on; a bit distracting out there at the edge of my vision. What I'm now using, but don't have a picture right now or remember the brand name, is a small, streamlined, convex mirror that plugs directly into the end of the drops. It gives me all the view I need without sticking out to the side or anything like that, no vibration issues that I've seen, and stays positioned pretty well. I think it's a pretty slick product.

On my MTB-style bike, it was easier to find a bar-mounted mirror since there are more options out there.
Old 08-20-07, 10:58 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I bought my first ever mirror from these folks. It fits in the end of the bar, is made of glass and is made in Italy. I can attest to it's effectiveness and it is definitely "stealth." This is a great product, IMHO.

www.AspireVeloTech.com
Old 08-20-07, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't indicate what kind of "trail system" you are riding -- but if it is other than smooth terrain (i.e., paved MUP), a helmet-mounted mirror will be frustrating to use due to constant vibration.
Old 08-20-07, 11:38 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyb

JTB
I've used helmet mounted, glasses mounted and bar-end mounted. I prefer the glasses mounted for several reasons.

The helmet mounted was always getting bumped even when the helmet wasn't on my head. If you have more than one helmet (which I do) it means buying a mirror for each one. The bar-end mounted always needed adjustment from road vibration and I often had to move the handle bar to get a clear view of the road behind me. The glasses mounted can be easily moved from one pair of glasses to another. It took me a couple weeks to become accustomed to the glasses mounted mirror but once I did I'll never switch to anything else. I use the Third Eye brand.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-20-07, 11:58 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I just tried the Tiger Eye by Flipz. For me it's useless. Either my head and body are in the way or the mirror is so far to the side that I can't focus through it.

I have a large convex mirror that I made for my 10 speed decades ago. I may try to adapt it to my recumbent. For my other bikes, I'm comfortable looking back and maintaining a straight line.
Old 08-20-07, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On one helmet, I got the Third Eye and Blackburn on the other. Both mirrors are helmet mounted and I can't ride without a mirror. Tried the glass mounted and I can't get used to it. Also had the handlebar mounted but again can't get used to it due to the fact when you turn the handlebar, you lose sight of what's behind you. It's nice to see what's coming behind you with a mirror. I feel safer as you could take evasive action if the car behind start riding the shoulder or too close for comfort.
Old 08-20-07, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't mean to confuse with the trail comment. I need this for riding roads. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I need to go start checking them out. Interesting how what's great for one isn't for the next person. I didn't know about a lot of these options as I had just seen a friend's helmet mounted one.
Old 08-20-07, 03:39 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glasses or helmet mounted proves useful on highly curvy roads. I can get a panoramic sweep behind me, which I do often on our mountain roads. See what kind of thing is coming up from behind. If it is a semi on a micro road, I'll bail out somewhere safe right away.
Old 08-20-07, 04:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Third Eye Pro- great! The adhesive gets a little loose in the garage heat, so I drilled two small holes thru the base and helmet, and used zip ties to secure it. 4th year and going strong. I don't understand how anyone who rides on roads with cars could ride without one.
Old 08-20-07, 04:30 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougG
What I'm now using, but don't have a picture right now or remember the brand name, is a small, streamlined, convex mirror that plugs directly into the end of the drops.
I seem to be using what DougG is described - it is a great mirror - have tried others but they doin't work for me - this one is perfect.

https://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...FSgRGgodW0ezEQ
Old 08-20-07, 05:16 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a thousand miles with a mirror and three thousand without, I gave the Take A Look eyeglass mirror a try, and even tho there's some hassle keeping it in the right spot, I love it. I'm already hooked after a week or two.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-20-07, 08:35 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
After a thousand miles with a mirror and three thousand without, I gave the Take A Look eyeglass mirror a try, and even tho there's some hassle keeping it in the right spot, I love it. I'm already hooked after a week or two.
+1

Since it's very difficult to turn around and look behind you on a recumbent, a mirror is more important. The Take A Look mirror on my sunglasses stays adjusted and works extremely well.
Old 08-20-07, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After trying many mirrors, I have been using the Take a Look, glasses mount for years. I have found that it has the least amount of vibration, the largest viewing area[because it is so close to your eye] , easily adjusted and has a short learning curve on getting used to it. I never go for a ride without mine.
Old 08-20-07, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use a Take A Look type mirror on my glasses, and a handlebar mirror on the left side of my handlebar on my 'bent. I might get another mirror for the right side.
Old 08-21-07, 05:39 AM

Bikes: 2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the bar end mirrors are great, the italian ones mentioned above. Mine are distributed under the 'sprintech' label. I like them so much i have them on every drop bar bike I own. the hold position very well, i even use them on a cross bike (though hitting intense washboard dirt road at speed can make them go out of adjustment - heck, that makes ME go out of adjustment).
Old 08-21-07, 05:41 AM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought a plug in the end of handlebar mirror, the Mirrycle, which works great. Vibration seems nil or barely noticeable. Great field of vision, very adjustable. Suits my bike to a tee.
Old 08-21-07, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three bikes - a mountain bike and a two road bikes. My main road bike has bar-end shifters, so that kind of limits my choice in bar-mounted mirrors. I bought a Take-A-Look mirror, and originally mounted it to the visor of my mountain bike helmet. I was unable to get it adjusted to geve me a comfortable view. I then tried mounting it on my glasses, and find that it works great there.

+1 for the Take-A-Look.
Old 08-21-07, 02:17 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
The timing of this thread is great for me, since I installed a CyclAware Reflex mirror on my Giro Xen helmet on Saturday and tried it out Sunday morning and again on this morning's commute to work. After about a marathon's worth of distance, I now know how to adjust it and how to use it properly, and I am delighted, having had very poor results in years past with two different eyeglass-mounted systems. I do sometimes have to dip my left shoulder a bit for a good view, and sun coming from behind can be a slight problem, but overall the thing works very well for me. I did have to cut a large notch in the left side of my visor, but that was easily accomplished.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-21-07, 02:30 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I've used a Take A Look mounted on the visor of my helmet for several years. Before that, a variety of glasses- and helmet-mounted mirrors. Can't ride safely in traffic without a mirror. Period.
Old 08-21-07, 04:12 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another +1 for the Take-A-Look...
Old 08-21-07, 05:31 PM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Take-a-Look....the best of the geeky Freddish mirrors that attach to your glasses/helmet...
+ 1
Old 08-21-07, 06:02 PM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had Third Eye visor mounts for about 3 years, also had a helmet mount and have a glasses mount. I use them all the time!, even when in mountain bike races ( I can see the fast guys coming up behind me, lets me give them some room to pass)

A helmet/visor/glasses mount can be used to see cars coming on approach ramps - you just turn your head to the left and you can see behind your right side - handlebar mounts can't do that!!

I am so accustomed to mine that sometimes when I'm walking I catch myself looking up and to the left to see what's behind me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.