Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2 Personal Bests

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2 Personal Bests

Old 08-23-07, 08:46 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Personal Bests

I achieved two personal bests on Monday. The first was riding 36 miles at an average speed of 17.5 MPH. The second was that I completed a 72 mile ride with an average speed of 16 mph. The best I had accomplished before that was a 31 mile ride at 15.9 average mph.

It must have been the new jerseys making me more aerodynamic

I did get bit by a wasp again and this time I have pictures. If I can get on the computer tonight I will post the them .
Old 08-23-07, 09:00 AM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job!
Old 08-23-07, 09:09 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! Let me know what jersey you bought - I need one like it to attain those speeds

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-25-07, 08:39 AM
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, well here are the pictures finally.
You can see on the left side where the Wasp bite me...to the right is where the darling stung me.

Here is a picture of the Jersey I wore when I did that 17.5 MPH average.

Heres the back

I think I know why I went s fast
Old 08-25-07, 08:53 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sandwarrior, forgive me if my memory is bad. But you doubled your greatest distance??!!!?? Or was it the time you did it in? Either way, congratulations!!! Way cool!

I started to look at your old posts, seeing if I could figure it out by myself, but all I saw were wasps, skunks and bike thieves after you. It was too much excitement this early in the morning.
Old 08-26-07, 06:51 AM
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No,my best distance this year was the 102 mile ride I did. This was a 72 mile ride, an out and back. I rode from my house down the Highline Canal trail, to the cherry creek, to the North platte (the end) and back again. The fastest I had ever ridden this ride ( and that was only 23 miles of it) was at about 16.5 MPH average speed, so I beat that by a 1 Mph average speed and increased the distance an additional 13 miles. My fastest ride this year was a 33 miler at 15.9 mph avaerage. So here I did 72 miles and still managed to maintain 16.0 MPH average, doubling my distance at speed and then some.

I hope that makes it clear as mud
Old 08-26-07, 07:38 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Nice jersey. And congrats on your new land speed record!
Old 08-26-07, 08:05 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
I achieved two personal bests on Monday. The first was riding 36 miles at an average speed of 17.5 MPH. The second was that I completed a 72 mile ride with an average speed of 16 mph. The best I had accomplished before that was a 31 mile ride at 15.9 average mph.

It must have been the new jerseys making me more aerodynamic

I did get bit by a wasp again and this time I have pictures. If I can get on the computer tonight I will post the them .
Way to go!!! Sorry about the sting, and above the tan line at that...shouldn't the new jersey have protected you???

It is also refreshing that a bunch of folks haven't co-opted the thread to talk about how well they have done on recent rides. Which reminds me that yesterday I......never mind.

Great ride, congrats
Old 08-28-07, 12:44 AM
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know he didn't get under the sleeve this time. Sparkles thinks he might have bitten/stung me through the jersey material . Now thats a thought!