Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   You make the call!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/337682-you-make-call.html)

jppe 08-27-07 06:40 PM

You make the call!!

Just 3 more weeks and weekends to get in some training prior to the pretty challenging Grandfather Mountain ride. Next to the Assault on Mt Mitchell and Mountains of Misery, it will be the most difficult 100+ mile ride I'll do this year. Nothing like the 13 mile climb up Hwy 181 and the last 2 miles at the finish going up Grandfather to round out the cycling season.......

I may have an opportunity to get in some shorter rides (30 miles) during the weekdays but the calendar is pretty booked with golf tournaments, kids sporting events and other priorities so the schedule will probably keep weekday rides to a minimum. However, I have some options on the remaining two weekends prior to the rides.

What type of riding should I do to be ready for the old man?

I can arrange rides that would be as short and sweet as a quick trip to the local supermarket, local organized rides or even toss in a couple more mountainous centuries or metric centuries with more climbing.

What would you do????

You are a very well informed, educated and responsible group so I know you will not lead me astray.........

Jet Travis 08-27-07 06:53 PM

OK, I'll bite--but I'd trust your advice before I'd trust my own. Anyway this is what I would do (if I were ever in the kind of shape you already are)

Maybe one hilly metric century this week and one next week--not more. None the week of the big ride. Don't overtrain and don't get stale. You're already in good shape. The time to taper is now.

At least one day off the bike, maybe two each of the next two weeks and three or four days off the bike the week of the century.

The rest of the time, relatively easy rides working on various aspects of your personal riding style: smoothing out your pedal stroke, for example. Social rides are good if they relax you and make you enjoy your time on the bike.

Stretching and core work most days.

Eat healthy--lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean protein sources along with plenty of water.

That's my two cents. Sign me:

"Those who can't do teach."

BSLeVan 08-28-07 06:20 AM

Ah, you’re just bragging now.

Much as Jet suggests in his post, what could we humble mortals offer in the way of real advice? My guess is that you probably don't really have to do much of anything to be ready for this.

RockyMtnMerlin 08-28-07 06:32 AM

You're asking us? I believe from reading many of your past posts here that you must be joking :eek::D:eek: Most of us couldn't do those type of century rides in two days let alone at speed. Just go back to your old plan - seemed to work quite well. :beer:

stapfam 08-28-07 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin (Post 5159199)
You're asking us? I believe from reading many of your past posts here that you must be joking :eek::D:eek: Most of us couldn't do those type of century rides in two days let alone at speed. Just go back to your old plan - seemed to work quite well. :beer:

+1

If there is anyone here that can advise you on how to climb mountains- Let him come forward now- I need his help too.

You know how hard the hills are going to be- and you know you can do the distance. I would think that you have just got to get back on the bike and do a few slopes- Find a steep one and ride it, and again, and again and----Then I would get bored sso just find some hills.

Hermes 08-28-07 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 5156721)
Just 3 more weeks and weekends to get in some training prior to the pretty challenging Grandfather Mountain ride. Next to the Assault on Mt Mitchell and Mountains of Misery, it will be the most difficult 100+ mile ride I'll do this year. Nothing like the 13 mile climb up Hwy 181 and the last 2 miles at the finish going up Grandfather to round out the cycling season.......

I may have an opportunity to get in some shorter rides (30 miles) during the weekdays but the calendar is pretty booked with golf tournaments, kids sporting events and other priorities so the schedule will probably keep weekday rides to a minimum. However, I have some options on the remaining two weekends prior to the rides.

What type of riding should I do to be ready for the old man?

I can arrange rides that would be as short and sweet as a quick trip to the local supermarket, local organized rides or even toss in a couple more mountainous centuries or metric centuries with more climbing.

What would you do????

You are a very well informed, educated and responsible group so I know you will not lead me astray.........

Remember...your average riding speed is directly, not inversely, proportional to your handicap.:D

stapfam 08-28-07 02:14 PM

Gonna throw one back at you now jppe. Gearing.

I have 10 speed so cannot fit the MTB 9 speed cassette that is 12or 11/32or 34.
I am riding with a compact and for my local hills- I do not want to change away from this. I still have a 36 sprocket but will be changing to a 34- but the lowest rear cassette I can get is 11/27- which I have fitted. So currently- The lowest gear I can get with a compact is 34/27. On a triple-I would be able get 30/27. Big difference. But as I have said- I do not want to fit the triple as on my local hills I am fine.

However- There is a 10 speed cassette made by "Mars" that is 11/34. This would give me lower gearing than the Triple and although I have heard that the Changing is not as crisp as on a Shimano or Campy cassette- By the time I get to the mountains- I will not be changing out of the lowest gear that often. This would also reaquire an MTB rear derailler but I have a new XT unit in my box of spares.

Any thoughts on mountain gearing you can pass on to us mere mortals that want to climb the hills with ease?

jppe 08-28-07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5162273)
Gonna throw one back at you now jppe. Gearing.

I have 10 speed so cannot fit the MTB 9 speed cassette that is 12or 11/32or 34.
I am riding with a compact and for my local hills- I do not want to change away from this. I still have a 36 sprocket but will be changing to a 34- but the lowest rear cassette I can get is 11/27- which I have fitted. So currently- The lowest gear I can get with a compact is 34/27. On a triple-I would be able get 30/27. Big difference. But as I have said- I do not want to fit the triple as on my local hills I am fine.

However- There is a 10 speed cassette made by "Mars" that is 11/34. This would give me lower gearing than the Triple and although I have heard that the Changing is not as crisp as on a Shimano or Campy cassette- By the time I get to the mountains- I will not be changing out of the lowest gear that often. This would also reaquire an MTB rear derailler but I have a new XT unit in my box of spares.

Any thoughts on mountain gearing you can pass on to us mere mortals that want to climb the hills with ease?

I've been down that very road myself and used the 50/34-12/27 combination quite a bit. In fact, my bike was originally set up with 10 speed. While I could still get up all the hills on a 34/27, on the steepest hills I found that my cadence dropped extremely low and I was putting a lot more stress on my joints than I liked-especially my knees. Fortunately I had two bikes with the other one being a 9 speed. So, I basically swapped components around on the two bikes so I could put the XT rear derailluer and 11/32 9 speed cassette on the road bike that I use for climbing.

That has turned out to be the perfect combination for me. I still have the top end gears needed to stay with pacelines and the easier gears for climbing the really steep stuff. The neat thing is that I spend a lot of time in a 34/28 combination which can yield a very good cadence-- and reserve the 34/32 for either the nastiest of hills or for hills that may not be quite as steep but they come up very late in a very long ride. I've been very pleased with the overall shifting with the combination as well. I may have tried it but I don't think the shifting on a 34/34 would be quite as good. The Shimano R700 50/34 compact crank has been flawless. The XT rear derailluer-while not as crisp as Dura Ace/Ultegra it is probably comparable to 105 and is very, very functional.

With your current setup, you could do an interim step like I did. You just need to get another 9 speed rear "brifter" in addition to the other parts you probably already have sitting around to see how it would work for you. I bet you probably already have a 9 speed rear shifter sitting around somewhere anyway. You can leave all the front stuff the way it is........just takes an hour or so to make the changes. Good luck!!

Retro Grouch 08-28-07 07:18 PM

I vote for the longer rides.

You can't train yourself to run fast by running slow and you can't train yourself to ride long distances by riding short distances.

Hermes 08-29-07 07:19 AM

I suggest one long endurance ride on the weekend: 60 to 80 miles and whatever you have time for on the other weekend day. I think it would be interesting to use available time during the week to work on something you are weak at (only you know this) to strengthen this aspect. For example, if you want to improve your sprint or leg speed, warm up and then do some sprints. You do not have to go out for hours and miles to accomplish other objectives so it is easier to fit in with other activities.