Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Don't you hate it when

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Don't you hate it when

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 05:45 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you hate it when

So Bill and I are doing a couple of 20mi loops on Sunday. It is not to bad out, humidity is high but there are clouds and the temp is about 78, lots of cyclists on the road. We finish out first loop at about 18.5mph and are in the middle of out second loop when a rider jumps on. Big guy, looks strong has tattoos on both arms and his leg. He asks what our route was and how fast we wanted to go. So we tell him the route we had about 12mi left and that we were riding in the 19-20mph range. He says Ok and jumps on the front and increases the tempo to 21-22mph. We figure what they heck with three of us we should be able to take the increase, he pulls for about a mile and then its Bill's turn, Bill keeps the pace and pulls for about 2 miles. Now its my turn I also keep the pace up for about 2 miles.

Now we are coming up to a turn that puts us down a long 3 mile straight that is into the wind and I am ready to turn it over to the big guy. Just as we get to this point he says' Thanks for the ride' and turns into a side road So much for our 3 man pace line.

Add your story

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-10-07, 05:56 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Now we are coming up to a turn that puts us down a long 3 mile straight that is into the wind and I am ready to turn it over to the big guy. Just as we get to this point he says' Thanks for the ride' and turns into a side road So much for our 3 man pace line.

Add your story
Here's a similar story on the other side

My wife and I rode the metric option of an organized ride yesterday on our tandem and had an 18.0 mph average going when a single rider passed us about 10 miles from the end. He was flying and looked pretty good. A few miles later, we caught up to him and he had blown. Figuring he was trying a personal best for the 100, I told him to jump on as we passed him. We took it up to 23+ for the last 5-6 miles to the parking lot with him in tow. You never saw a more grateful guy and kept thanking us over and over again.