Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rules for riding your age (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/340879-rules-riding-your-age.html)

solveg 09-06-07 12:08 AM

Rules for riding your age

So do you have to do it on your birthday? What if you're going on a long ride 3 days before? Can that count?

If I haul my dog in a trailer, can I do dog years instead?

stapfam 09-06-07 12:27 AM

Providing the dog is 9 years old and you do it with the multiple of 7 (1 dog year = 7 human)

Birthday rides do not have to be done on your birthday and in fact Although you can do a birthday ride- It should really be called a "Ride your age Ride".
This is accomodate those of us that do not live in San Diego and may have 6 ft of snow when our birthday falls.

And the ride your age bit is your ACTUAL age and not your mental age. Once again for those living in San Diego who may feel like cheating.

Sandwarrior 09-06-07 05:17 AM

Well see, I never thought it was a "Birthday" thing. I always assumed it was for kicks (Paul Revere and the Raiders). There is no time limit, and I suppose as long as you do it before the next birthday it counts:D

Solveg, if you do it three days before, thats one mile less you need to ride:lol:

And Happy Birthday :bday:

Red Baron 09-06-07 05:24 AM

Rule # 1. There are no rules.

RockyTopBiker 09-06-07 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Red Baron (Post 5217881)
Rule # 1. There are no rules.

Actually the quote is:
"The first rule is: Obey all rules!"
-Barney Fife

RockyTopBiker 09-06-07 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5217486)
So do you have to do it on your birthday? What if you're going on a long ride 3 days before? Can that count?

In my opinion, it must be on your birthday. On my 65th birthday last December 9, I rode 70 miles. When the ride began it was 8 degrees F. Originally there were about 15 people going on the ride but after the cold front came through, only one friend was left. It wasn't too bad after the first hour because we were numb. Turned out that my birthday was the coldest day of the year. Global Warming my *****!!

Beverly 09-06-07 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker (Post 5217895)
Actually the quote is:
"The first rule is: Obey all rules!"
-Barney Fife

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun:rolleyes:

DnvrFox 09-06-07 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5217530)

Birthday rides do not have to be done on your birthday and in fact Although you can do a birthday ride- It should really be called a "Ride your age Ride".

Well, I did a century a few years back. Does that cover me until I am 100?

We need to get this straightened out!

We need to have some rules to break.

Beverly 09-06-07 05:55 AM

This is accomodate those of us that do not live in San Diego and may have 6 ft of snow when our birthday falls..

+1

Mine is in January. This year I did my "ride your age" ride on my half-birthday:) It's so much nicer in July:D

guybierhaus 09-06-07 06:28 AM

I looked at the birthday ride as some goal in miles to achieve which is really only significant if you normally ride 10, 20 miles. My 62 miles was and still is the longest ride I've achieved. Those who routinely ride metric and Imperial centuries, I would think it's no big deal. I don't think you have to ride it on your actual birthday, but some of us can't remember our age, and usually someone sends a card to remind me.

The rule I think that must be discussed is at what age do we "Fix" the birthday ride mileage, or do we make it ride your age in kilometers at age 70 and older. While I may look forward to it, I'd be a rare person in deed if I can ride 90 miles on my 90th.

Trsnrtr 09-06-07 06:28 AM

I rode 76 miles yesterday and I'm sure that it had to be somebody's age and birthday. :)

George 09-06-07 06:38 AM

Providing the dog is 9 years old and you do it with the multiple of 7 (1 dog year = 7 human)

This is accomodate those of us that do not live in San Diego and may have 6 ft of snow when our birthday falls.

And the ride your age bit is your ACTUAL age and not your mental age. Once again for those living in San Diego who may feel like cheating.

+1

cranky old dude 09-06-07 06:47 AM

So I turned 56 in June. I seldom ride very far at all but finally got some time
off from work and family commitments and strung together a few 20-30 milers.
Then the stars finally were aligned correctly and I was able to ride 56+ miles.

So I Think I rode my age? It seemed like I rode my age. I won't turn 57 until
next June. Can I count my Sept. ride as having rode my age or doesn't
it count?

Just wondering.

Happy trails.

edit: Being still somewhat new here, if I broke "Ride Your Age" etiquette, I can withdraw my claim. Don't want to offend....

Beverly 09-06-07 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5217947)
Well, I did a century a few years back. Does that cover me until I am 100?

We need to get this straightened out!

We need to have some rules to break.

Do we need another poll to answer this question:D

My vote would be "ride your age" anytime during the year.

To answer your question.....riding 100 miles only counts the year you turn 100:rolleyes:

mud 09-06-07 07:09 AM

I'm 61, last monday I rode 61mi. A 30mi ride turned into 61mi because I made a wrong turn & later missed a turn twice. Does this count as a birthday ride?:o
Mud

2manybikes 09-06-07 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5217486)

I'm 56 I don't want to start cutting my weekend rides in half on my birthday. :p

Yes, dog years with the dog. It the official rule. I said so. :rolleyes: 22 x 7 = 154. I do 154 miles with the dog a few times a week. Wow I have.. 2000 x 7 = 14,000 dog miles on the old trike. :lol:

Beverly 09-06-07 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mud (Post 5218237)
I'm 61, last monday I rode 61mi. A 30mi ride turned into 61mi because I made a wrong turn & later missed a turn twice. Does this count as a birthday ride?:o
Mud

I'm not sure getting the miles counts when you miss turns:rolleyes::rolleyes:

solveg 09-06-07 07:35 AM

Mud

Yeah! Do you have to declare intent?

And does it need to be a dedicated birthday ride?

Example.... You are 60. You go on a 100 mile organzed ride. Does this count if it's not your exact age?

Example 2... You are 60. You go on 60 mile organized ride. Can this count as a "ride your age" ride after the fact, or do you have to say, "I'm going on this organized ride and it will be my birthday ride".

Ken Brown 09-06-07 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5217949)
Mine is in January. This year I did my "ride your age" ride on my half-birthday:) It's so much nicer in July:D

On you half birthday you only need to ride half your age (Rule 7.2.5)

Pat 09-06-07 07:48 AM

Certainly you can ride your age at any time can you not? You can ride your age and years any time of the year. Of course, if you want to be really exact, you can figure the number of days that have elapsed since your last birthday (in my case about 240) and divide that number by 365 to get the extra mileage you need to ride your age. Today that would be an extra .66 miles added to my age in years. But if I felt generous, I could always just do an extra mile and forget about all that fancy math.

BluesDawg 09-06-07 08:07 AM

There are no rules. I like to ride my age on my birthday if I can. My club celebrates birthdays with age rides on the nearest weekend. This year I'm taking my birthday off and will ride at least my age, 52, in miles on October 9th. Public schools are out that week for Fall break, so my son will ride with me. The club ride will be the Saturday before. I'll probably lay out a route almost exactly 52 miles for that one just for fun.
Weather is usually pretty decent at that time of year, but short of a storm, I'll ride in whatever weather happens to be there. Hot, cold, sunny, rainy, calm, windy, whatever.

DnvrFox 09-06-07 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by guybierhaus (Post 5218053)

The rule I think that must be discussed is at what age do we "Fix" the birthday ride mileage, or do we make it ride your age in kilometers at age 70 and older. While I may look forward to it, I'd be a rare person in deed if I can ride 90 miles on my 90th.

Here is a more fair formula:

(100 - age) * 2 = the length of the required birthday ride.

This will be designated Rule 7.5.3

Rick@OCRR 09-06-07 08:14 AM

In 2006 the Solvang Double Century was on my birthday! Since I was (only) 56 at the time, I should be good on the "Ride Your Age" thing until I'm . . . ah, 200! Yeah, that's it!

Rick / OCRR

2manybikes 09-06-07 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5218352)
Yeah! Do you have to declare intent?

And does it need to be a dedicated birthday ride?

Example.... You are 60. You go on a 100 mile organzed ride. Does this count if it's not your exact age?

Example 2... You are 60. You go on 60 mile organized ride. Can this count as a "ride your age" ride after the fact, or do you have to say, "I'm going on this organized ride and it will be my birthday ride".

How's this rule?

You need to take photo a of the miles displayed on your bike computer, next to a newspaper showing the date. And..........you need to post it here no later than noon the following day.

Beverly 09-06-07 08:23 AM

Mud

This only counts as "senior moments":D:D