Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Helmet Headlight?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Helmet Headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 10:09 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Headlight?

I saw a guy riding yesterday evening with a light attached to his helmet, which made it something like a miner's helmet, only it stuck up higher.

Never saw that before. Anyone using something like this? I suppose it is good for illuminating whatever you're looking at, even if you turn your head!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-26-07, 10:23 AM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, I've got a Nite Rider that I bought 6 or 7 years ago that has that option, and the thing still works, I had it out last nite charging the battery. While being able to light up where you are looking is a tremendous advantage, it was bulky and made my helmet slip around some. With it mounted on the bike, it faced only the direction the bike was facing.

I think some of the new LED options for helmet mounts might be viable and light--in fact, I am going to put lighting on my new WHITE recumbent.
Old 08-26-07, 10:51 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering one for night riding after work later this year. One advantage I read about in another forum is the ability to catch the attention of drivers with the light just by turning your head in their direction, such as at an intersection.
Old 08-26-07, 11:12 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I saw a guy riding yesterday evening with a light attached to his helmet, which made it something like a miner's helmet, only it stuck up higher.
These are almost mandatory for mountain bike night riding. A good one is quite expensive. I'm guessing Stapfam may have one. I looked into it, but the cost was prohibitive for the two or three times a year I would use it.
Old 08-26-07, 11:28 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I ride with a Cygolite Dual 300 lithium on the bars and just got a Cateye 410 for the helmet. The Cygolite is a definate "see" light while the Cateye is a bright "be seen" light. I put the Cateye on blink and I'm very confident that I can see and be seen very well. (I use a Viewpoint 9 LED on the rear and wear a Zinglet for reflection.

There is no question that there are brighter "see" lights that you can put on the helmet but I chose to use a AAA battery light. I didn't want another bulky battery attached to the bike , in my pocket or attached to the rear of my helmet. Also of importance, I can carry 3 AAA batteries in my seatbag for emergencies such as if the lithium battery dies on my primary.

Just my opinion and thoughts.
Old 08-26-07, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee

Never saw that before. Anyone using something like this? I suppose it is good for illuminating whatever you're looking at, even if you turn your head!
No, but I found a small octagonal shaped blinkie at Gander Mountain that I was able to tie wrap into the center rear vent of my helmet for a tail light. It has 6 LED's and they either flash sequentially, all at once, or all on. So bright you can barely look directly at it. It's nice and high and very visible.
Old 08-26-07, 12:57 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
These are almost mandatory for mountain bike night riding. A good one is quite expensive. I'm guessing Stapfam may have one. I looked into it, but the cost was prohibitive for the two or three times a year I would use it.
As in the attachment and $50 from an outdoor pursuits shop (Mountain climbing) Only thing is- take the helmet in to see if it fits.

Lots of types and this one has a spot light that is good for 2hours and 50 yard beam and a range of LEDs for differeing power strengths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lights.JPG (28.4 KB, 24 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-26-07, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd put the bright one on the bike and use one not so bright on the helmet, to get the attention of cars. Nothing like shining a 20 watt light into a driver's eyes to improve their night vision.
Old 08-26-07, 01:32 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
As in the attachment and $50 from an outdoor pursuits shop (Mountain climbing) Only thing is- take the helmet in to see if it fits.

Lots of types and this one has a spot light that is good for 2hours and 50 yard beam and a range of LEDs for differeing power strengths.
Is that a brand available in the states or on-line? GB & the EU have a lot of great outdoor brands that we never see in the states (not just in cycling gear) A couple of the World Camp type camporees we have attended have left me lusting after some of the designs I've seen but been unable to find back home.
Old 08-26-07, 01:52 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dorosz
Is that a brand available in the states or on-line? GB & the EU have a lot of great outdoor brands that we never see in the states (not just in cycling gear) A couple of the World Camp type camporees we have attended have left me lusting after some of the designs I've seen but been unable to find back home.
Hate to say it- but This particular one is no longer available- But I will come back when I find one that is similar in tyoe and Bulb specs.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-26-07, 01:53 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Helmet mounted lights "to shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers" (ie to get their attention) isn't a very good idea. For street riding they are probably not worth the cost. Remember, if you want to be treated like a proper road vehicle, behave by the same laws.

Good helmet mounted lights are used for hardcore night mountain biking in conjunction with good bar mounted lights (sometimes both pencil and flood). They serve the purpose of "seeing around corners" as they point in the direction the rider is looking, not in the direction the bar is pointing. This is an advantage when traveling fast of trails with sharp turns or switchbacks. 10w seems to be a practical minimum for such a light.

As to the cars............what can you see when you are driving yours and someone points a high beam or bright light at you**********

Last edited by maddmaxx; 09-07-07 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-26-07, 01:57 PM
:)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I splurged on a Lupine Wilma 4 earlier this year. I have been using it on my commutes on the MUP mounted on the bar. I just mounted to my helmet last week. Being able to see where you look gives allows me to scan what or who may be lurking in the dark; it gives me a more secure feeling between 5 & 6 in the morning. Last Friday I saw 2 skunks near the path that I was lucky enough to avoid.
Old 08-26-07, 02:30 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Helmem mounted lights "to shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers" (ie to get their attention) isn't a very good idea. <snip> what can you see when you are driving yours and someone points a high beam or bright light at you**********
Absolutely agreed. They have no place in road riding.

What's worse is when some yo-yo shows up at a group ride wearing one of those things. They very quickly learn that helmet mounted lights are for solo riding only. And if they don't learn it quickly, they end up riding solo anyway.
Old 08-26-07, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a light on my helmet for night rides, but keep it turned off. Let me tell you, the first time I got a flat tire on a night ride, I was glad I could reach up and turn the thing on. For illumination of the road, I use a bar mounted system.
Old 08-26-07, 02:36 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by junfan
Last Friday I saw 2 skunks near the path that I was lucky enough to avoid.
The ones along the Canalway on the west side near Lyell Ave? They don't come within 20 feet of the path anyway. The light didn't help you avoid them. You'd have avoided them even with no lights and your eyes closed. Just stay on the path.

The bike path is another place where helmet-mounted lights do not belong. I certainly don't want your light in my eyes on the path.
Old 08-26-07, 03:10 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The ones along the Canalway on the west side near Lyell Ave? They don't come within 20 feet of the path anyway. The light didn't help you avoid them. You'd have avoided them even with no lights and your eyes closed. Just stay on the path.

The bike path is another place where helmet-mounted lights do not belong. I certainly don't want your light in my eyes on the path.
My helmet light is used virtually everywhere. With street lighting-If I see a helmet light- even a dim one- I notice it because it is unusual. On Mups or bike paths- I have the powerfull lamp on the Dimmest setting and the Helmet spot will point the rocks- logs- piles of gravel- or even those walkers with no lights that would not be picked up by the "Dim" light on the bike. Offroad- I use the main light on the open ground but where it gets twisty- or technical- On goes the helmet Spot.

It is not a very powerfull lamp and will only show for about 50 yards and If I do come across other path users-I dip my head or swivel the lamp down.

As far as I am concerned- Although it cannot be used on its own- A helmet lamp is the the most usefull lamp you can use on a bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-28-07, 01:47 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Hate to say it- but This particular one is no longer available- But I will come back when I find one that is similar in tyoe and Bulb specs.
Link to Petzl Lamps is below

https://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554

Mine is not a petzl but has a 2 watt halogen lamp and three small LEDS. It is that halogen lamp that I find exceptional. 2w is not powerfull enough for anything but it must be the Lens that works on this one. The Petzl Myo 3 Noir seems as good as mine and is probably better as it has a Xenon Halogen lamp. No idea on prices though but it should give you an idea on what to look for.

For fitting to a helmet- You need the strap that goes over the top of the helmet aswell. Take your helmet in to make certain it fits and That the switch is accessible once fitted to the helmet.

And a link to Wiggle- Not an online shop that I use but Very popular over here. Look under Head torches if you lose the page.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProd...ches&cat=Cycle

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 08-28-07 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 09:21 AM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should never use a helmet lamp as your sole source of light. It's too close to your line of sight, you don't see shadows properly, and it screws up your perspective. They're very useful as a second source of light, but the primary headlight should always be somewhere on the bike.
Old 08-29-07, 12:36 PM

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Night Rider Road Rat on the bars, and a headworn 3 LED light that I use on low so I can see my non-illuminated cycloputer. The headworn comes in real handy in the event of mech failure in the dark also. Before I got it I did a 3/4 mile walk with a flat one morning to get to a streetlight--never again!
Old 08-29-07, 01:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Lights!

Check the Lighting & Electronics (something like that) thread. You will find great analysis and recommendations. I have ridden with a helmet mounted light for years and would not go back except if I wanted or needed to make more of a light signature. I am goind to order one of the Cree led flashlights for my helmets. Onec you read about them other expensive helmet lights loose their appeal.

If I get a bar light I will get one of the princton tech or if I splurge a Dinotte or Wilma Led light
Old 08-29-07, 02:05 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not as fat---You are so right

And BobS----How have you survived for so long.

I always use a bar mounted light and if it is going to be a long dark ride- I also have a spare mounted on the bars aswell. The helmet light is an "Extra" On the road. Offroad A necessary extra but on the road not quite so much.

On the ride tonight-I rode for an hour before dusk hit so as I left the cafe- Rear light went on(Haven't fitted the second one yet) and the Big lamp went on the dimmest setting. Within 30 minutes- those lights were needed to be seen with and in 45 I needed the bar light to see by. After an hours riding- on went the Helmet LED's as I was still on busy roads but by the time I was on the backroads- It was the bar lamp on full power. Then I hit the MUP. Helmet lamp spot on to see by and Main lamp on Dim so I did not blind the other users.

Now the attachment is a quick pic I just took a couple of minutes ago and the Pool is 70ft away from the bike. Had to put the main lamp on the dimmest setting and that is on the pool. The area of light to the left is my helmet light. Unfortunately- I had the lamp set up to shine only 50ft in front of the bike so I have to adjust this setting before the next ride. The pic of the bike shows how bright the lamps can be and the Helmet lamp is sitting on the saddle. Still bright enough to be seen.
Attached Images
Front Lights.jpg (48.8 KB, 24 views)
Helmet lamp.jpg (24.8 KB, 24 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-29-07, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Helmem mounted lights "to shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers" (ie to get their attention) isn't a very good idea. For street riding they are probably not worth the cost. Remember, if you want to be treated like a proper road vehicle, behave by the same laws.

Good helmet mounted lights are used for hardcore night mountain biking in conjunction with good bar mounted lights (sometimes both pencil and flood). They serve the purpose of "seeing around corners" as they point in the direction the rider is looking, not in the direction the bar is pointing. This is an advantage when traveling fast of trails with sharp turns or switchbacks. 10w seems to be a practical minimum for such a light.

As to the cars............what can you see when you are driving yours and someone points a high beam or bright light at you**********
I find they are perfect for riding on the road, especially for giving a quick flash to drivers coming around a corner, out of a side street, or those distracted by their mobile phone at busy intersections to alert them of your presence. I used a handlebar mounted light for years and will never go back to one again after using a helmet light.

FWIW, I thought they would be rubbish until I tried one.
Old 09-06-07, 10:42 PM
GeoBiker / Mapper

Bikes: 2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Princeton Tec bike lights

Princeton Tec makes a series of lights that can be used on the bars or helmet w/included bracket.
(one, two or three lights)
They are pricey but they do make good lights. I have a couple of their headlights, haven't been able
to swing for one of their bike units yet though.

Princeton Tec Switchback series
Old 09-08-07, 04:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a DiNotte 200L on the bars and helmet for trail riding.

DiNotte