Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hell Ride 20

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hell Ride 20

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 10:08 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hell Ride 20

Yesterday morning turned out to be a great day to try our annual Hell Ride to Northbridge and back, 65 degrees, no sun, no wind. So off me and Ms HH went. The Hell Ride is what we use to guage our year to year progress and although it's only 20 miles, it's the hardest 20 we ride all year.

About a mile from home we start a climb out of the valley up to the ridge, 3 miles at 12% with a 18% section the last .5 miles.

Last year = three rest stops with a triple crank (30/26)
This year = one rest stop with a compact double (34/27)

Once at the top it's about 5 miles of rollers as we ride through Upton taking South St down the other side of the ridge into the Upton State Forest, lots of steep ups and downs. At mile 12 we hit Northbridge road and start the 3 mile 9% climb up the other side of the ridge.

Last year = one rest stop
This year = none

After a nice downhill cruise into Mendon, we climb the short steep repeating sections of Mills St. Then another downgrade, and the last 1 mile climb back into our neighborhood.

It was a great ride and I was pretty satisfied with the progress over last year. Our average for the ride was 12mph. I am also continually amazed at how nice the BMC is to ride. Sorry no pics this time.
Old 09-10-07, 10:19 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's one heck of a hill - 3 miles at 12% w/ an 18% spot.

Good on ya - as one wise man once said - 'Getting older for the fun of it.'
Old 09-10-07, 10:37 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If a pro suddenly starts exceeding his normal limits- he is taking something- so What are you on and where can we get it.

Well done- but is the Stuff detectable.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-10-07, 02:24 PM
Streetfire

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
If a pro suddenly starts exceeding his normal limits- he is taking something- so What are you on and where can we get it.

Well done- but is the Stuff detectable.
Flintstones, of course
Old 09-10-07, 02:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pity about no Pics but How are you getting on with the compact? I know it is a different and far better bike- but Are there places where you wish for that lower gear? or are you finding it more convenient on gearing?

I have just got the 34T on the front and just started going up the hills again. I have done the 15%'s on both bikes recently and the triple was hard enough. The compact was just as hard- cadence a bit slower on the tough bits but it was faster.

And that 12% for 3 miles is the same as Ventoux so Keep climbing.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-10-07, 02:54 PM
Streetfire

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Pity about no Pics but How are you getting on with the compact? I know it is a different and far better bike- but Are there places where you wish for that lower gear? or are you finding it more convenient on gearing?

I have just got the 34T on the front and just started going up the hills again. I have done the 15%'s on both bikes recently and the triple was hard enough. The compact was just as hard- cadence a bit slower on the tough bits but it was faster.

And that 12% for 3 miles is the same as Ventoux so Keep climbing.
Stap,

I find that on some climbs I just don't have the leg left to keep seated all the way and am forced to get up out of the saddle, which causes a huge cadence drop. On one hand, this is where I miss sitting and spinning the triple but on the other hand it's making me stronger.

I also find I like the compact alot for more "normal" riding where the hills aren't so big. With the triple I tended to stay in the 39T alot, but with the compact you are forced to use the 50T because you are spinning out the 34T. Riding in the 50T more also makes you stronger.

I hope you are enjoying the Boreas as much as I am the BMC, it's so nice to have a good bike.

It was hard though to watch my wife spinning her triple while I was struggling behind her..!
Old 09-10-07, 03:01 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
Flintstones, of course
I confess...I've gone down that Flintstones spiral road to hell.
One a day Scooby Doo is virtually non-detectible, and doesn't give you man boobs and an out-of-control temper.