Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any Feeling a Bit Worn Out? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/342916-any-feeling-bit-worn-out.html)

Jet Travis 09-12-07 08:12 AM

Any Feeling a Bit Worn Out?

It almost never happens to me, but my body is saying that it's been a good season but a long season and that I should probably cut back or take some time off the bike. Seemed to happen to jppe a few weeks back. Anyone else get like this? And do you have alternatives that you enjoy?

Monoborracho 09-12-07 08:25 AM

JT...when I left the TRIRI in mid-tour and then spent two weeks in New England after my mother-in-law died I was burned out and flustered and just tired when I got back home. I had some toe numbness issues, carpal tunnel problems and it seemed like everything hit at once. My July and August mileage was very, very low. At one point I went 10 days without even getting on a bike.

Then a couple of weeks ago I got to thinking about doing a week long unsupported tour in October .....and last weekend I actually went shopping for a new road bike. So now I'm planning a week of base touring in West Texas/Big Bend area and hoping for good things from Santa Claus (I made sure sweet wife went shopping with me). I'm putting fenders back on the touring bike, soaking a Brooks saddle in oil, looking for some cycling knickers, new rain gear...yada yada yada.

Artkansas 09-12-07 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 5255726)
It almost never happens to me, but my body is saying that it's been a good season but a long season and that I should probably cut back or take some time off the bike. Seemed to happen to jppe a few weeks back. Anyone else get like this? And do you have alternatives that you enjoy?

Being a daily commuter, I don't know what you mean about a "season". Riding a bike is like putting on pants or walking across the room. It's just something that happens on a daily basis.

Digital Gee 09-12-07 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 5256387)
Riding a bike is like putting on pants...

Yeah, except we don't spend hours dreaming up what a perfect pair of pants would be like! :D

Hermes 09-12-07 10:12 AM

Velodiva and I are planning our training program to lead up to next years racing season which we will start when we finish our trips to Italy and San Diego. Cyclecross season has just commenced and many of our club members have already started. We do not cyclecross. We are looking forward to some skiing this winter and more time in the gym.

Beverly 09-12-07 10:32 AM

I was feeling exhausted after two week long bike tours and the trip to Philly to ride the Livestrong Challenge. Add to this mix a bout of cellulitus on my leg and a travel companion on the Philly trip that had me looking for a place to bury the body along the turnpike. I took a week off the bike and spent some time catching up on my to-do-list around the house.

HopedaleHills 09-12-07 10:45 AM

Me too. The last day of vacation I hurt my back and took two weeks off and then got lazy. Also, the daylight is fading fast around here and I am actually getting home just about dark now. I even passed up a ride a couple weeks ago to go kayaking. I have a whooping total of 50 miles for Sept so far. Need 50 more to claim 1000 for the summer.

Tom Bombadil 09-12-07 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5256548)
Yeah, except we don't spend hours dreaming up what a perfect pair of pants would be like! :D

We don't???

stapfam 09-12-07 01:38 PM

Did my Ride in the Summer and after that I always slacken off a bit. Rides are still taking place but at a more leisurely pace than I should do. But come December I will start regretting that lay off as I will be planning for next summers ride and realise how much training I have to get in.

DnvrFox 09-12-07 02:18 PM

Yes and

long walks, which I have been doing this week

cranky old dude 09-12-07 02:33 PM

Believe it or not, when I get burned out (mentally and /or physically) the bike
is one tool I use to replenish myself. Working 12 and 1/2 hour shifts, two days
followed by two nights per week and trying to raise a family with an unemployable wife
(physical reasons) can wear a body down. Throw in a bunch of overtime and...
well, you get the picture. I monitor and log my bike mileage, but I don't set goals
or stress over that aspect of cycling. I do look forward however to a time in
the not too distant future when I can set and attempt to meet mileage goals...
you know, when life for the bride and myself slows down a little. After a long
spell of not riding this summer due to being too scared to venture out into the
fray, I've managed to ride close to 300 miles in the last three weeks or so. I
averaged about 17 .5 mph on a 7 and 1/2 mile home from work at six o:clock
this morning and I feel great. Part of the reason for my uplifted spirits and
increase in physical well being I attribute to getting back on the bike. Another
important part is that the girls have all been delivered to their college dorms and
life for the wife and I has taken on a much slower and less demanding pace.

Moral of this long story: exercise coupled with relief from stressors (even temporary
relief) leads to mental and physical recovery.

Louis 09-12-07 04:01 PM

Yup. I've slacked off a bit. I wish I still had the motivation I had back in the '80's and 90's when I would finish the season with gusto in December.

jppe 09-12-07 07:44 PM

I have been able to work through my period of being less motivated and am now back in full swing. Just one more monster ride (this Sunday) and then I'm looking forward to more "social riding" for the next few months. I'm sure I'll be feeling a bit tired of riding Sunday night though!!!!

momof4greatkids 09-12-07 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 5256626)
Velodiva and I are planning our training program to lead up to next years racing season which we will start when we finish our trips to Italy and San Diego. Cyclecross season has just commenced and many of our club members have already started. We do not cyclecross. We are looking forward to some skiing this winter and more time in the gym.

you sir, are a very sick man, please seek help immediately :D:D:D

(the rest sounds very, very cool)

Fredmertz51 09-12-07 08:01 PM

After 50, the days off are just as important as the days training.

skiffrun 09-13-07 07:59 AM

I had been looking to Labor Day weekend for several weeks. Planned record 3 day mileage (have to average 100k+ for the 3 days) as well as long ride for the year.

Sat I pulled a riding partner through a half-iron course training ride (I'm not fast, just do hills better than he), and then finished off some flat miles for 100k+.

Sunday ride was not enjoying, so when I saw someone I knew going the other way, I turned around and ended up with only 31 miles. And I was tired.

Monday morning, I was still tired, so I gave the bike a really good cleaning instead of riding. And later took it into the shop for tune-up - but really just to put it somewhere so that I wouldn't be tempted to ride for several days.

So much for the anticipated big miles weekend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picked up bike the next Friday, and with the wife drove to eastern NC MS-150 ride. Saturday hoped to ride after finished my rest stop ice delivery volunteer duties. But after loaded up refridgerated vehicle with Sunday's ice, it was nearly 1 pm, so decided to pass on riding and wait. She finished 100 miler @ 2:03 pm.

Sunday, that nuisance (nuisance because although we desparately need any rain we can get, that storm had very little rain for very few places, but one of the places it dropped some rain was on the MS-150 courses) tropical storm brought rain, and ... , no ride for me. Ice delivery took almost as long as it took my wife to ride the 30 mile course (the only one "open"); ice delivery was "interesting" as we had to leave before 0600 and race mnmgt didn't decide until well after that to elim the 75 & 100 mile courses.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I am looking forward to two great rides this weekend as the body is no longer tired & it is a bit cooler, etc., blah, blah, blah.

solveg 09-13-07 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5256770)
I took a week off the bike and spent some time catching up on my to-do-list around the house.

Yeah, I've been catching up on house stuff, too. I just cut down all these saplings which had grown over the summer. I knew I had been neglectful when my lawn guy saw me and exclaimed, "I am so proud of you! It looks great!"

maddmaxx 09-13-07 10:35 AM

Its ok to go for a ride without measuring speed or distance or fitness or performance. Somedays I just take the bike out and chase acorns across the road or try to see how far I can ride standing up with my hands off the bars (not far).

Remember what it was like to have a bike when you were a kid. Nowhere to be on time, nothing in particular to do.

Its ok to play sometimes isn't it?

BSLeVan 09-13-07 10:46 AM

It's not the miles! It's the disappearance of sunlight. As the days get shorter it's hard to keep pumped up for almost anything. "....rage, rage against the dying of the light."