Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What advice would your 50+ self... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/344198-what-advice-would-your-50-self.html)

jiminos 09-16-07 09:38 PM

no advice. no regrets. had i not done all that i had done, i likely would not find myself in the situation i am in today. i love where i am. i love who i am.... changing then have changed now ... who knows i may not have liked me much if things had worked out differently.

so, no advice. no regrets... live. after all, that is the purpose of life.

be,
and be well,

jim

BSLeVan 09-17-07 06:40 AM

I just thought of a second one I'd offer: "Get over yourself."

DnvrFox 09-17-07 06:46 AM

When the "girl friend" I had in kindergarten, and with whom I played "Doctor" called again when I was 15 and wanted to know if I would come over to her house to play "Doctor" again, perhaps I should have said "Yes!" Naw . . .:D

jppe 09-17-07 07:00 AM

Looking back is for the nostalgic, which I thoroughly enjoy doing.........but the best thing is to take stock of today and to keep looking forward. My kids who are in their twenties just don't heed my advice anyway......

maddmaxx 09-17-07 07:46 AM

Don't change anything. If you do you will not be the person you are. (or is that going to be)....(or is that was)......(or................):eek:

WalterMitty 09-17-07 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5278137)
...have given your 20-something self, had that been possible? In other words, what do you wish you'd known then that you know now?

(And would you have listened?)

It is better to be a happy, contented fool than a tortured, angry genius.

Setting goals and making plans are good habits and can be tools for achieving success in life; but if you are unhappy because of the idiots and morons in your life today, you will be just as unhappy with the idiots and morons waiting for you at the end of your rainbow. It’s not about you, and you can’t fix stupid, so don’t take it personally.

No matter which path you choose, at some point you will wonder, wistfully, how things may have been different if you had taken the other path. It is your nature. Enjoy the fantasies of the road not taken, but remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Finally, when your immortality card expires, you will find there are things more precious than the Brass Ring and much more difficult to hold...

Artkansas 09-17-07 10:56 AM

My bigger concern though is, "what am I clueless about now?". Since the divorce, life is full of changes. How do I know if I am taking the wiser course?

Pamestique 09-17-07 12:24 PM

Unfortunately I may not have listened because the advice to myself would be "Don't be so stubborn!" My stubborness, I believe, has kept me from doing many things that most likely would have opened up my world and exposed me to many new people and many more opportunities. I'm trying to be better but as I get older, that stubborness just keeps creeping back in.

I would also go out of my way to be a nicer person. I think I hurt people, especially when I was young, for no reason. Not something I am proud of.

There is a list a mile long I would do different if given the opportunity to start over but since they isn't going to happen, no sense for me to have regrets about it now. What is is and I have to make the most of it!

=sigh= now I'm depressed... where's that chocolate cake... :o

Big Paulie 09-17-07 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 5283274)
My bigger concern though is, "what am I clueless about now?"

A very good point.

This thought comes to my mind every now and then. And, today, when I talk with someone older about what to expect, I'm as resistant to their advice as I was when I was 21! Goes to show that we aren't hard wired to take advice...but rather live, make mistakes, and learn on our own.

alanfleisig 09-17-07 03:09 PM

1. Go to the dentist.
2. Stop smoking today.
3. There really always is another girl.
4. Opportunity knocks, but only at the most inopportune moments.

Monoborracho 09-17-07 03:56 PM

In spent the summer of 1967 working on a pipeline crew near Big Spring, Texas. My foreman was man named O. B. Trotter, who was still working oilfield at 70 years of age. I had been operating a jackhammer for several days, and I remember saying something to the effect of "I'll be glad when this week is over".

O. B. Trotter gave me two pieces of advice that I remember to this day, and I've tried to pass them along from time to time.

#1 " When you get to be my age, you won't be wishin' your life away.

#2 "If you'll get an education, you won't be out here doing this at my age".

A summer spent in the West Texas heat on the back end of jackhammer can really shape your life. It did mine.

twobikes 09-17-07 04:18 PM

No matter how busy other people make you think you should be, always find a place to ride your bike and get a good ride several times a week. It is better than wondering later how all of the extra pounds accumulated and struggling to be rid of them again.

geo8rge 09-17-07 04:53 PM

Get a job with a government pension.

trackhub 09-17-07 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5278137)
...have given your 20-something self, had that been possible? In other words, what do you wish you'd known then that you know now?

(And would you have listened?)

Don't let that brunette you like so much (back in college) get away.

A very good, intelligent thread topic Digital Gee. Thanks! :)

Jet Travis 09-17-07 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by zonatandem (Post 5279868)
Advice:"Do what you want to do . . ."
Would I have listened? Yup, I did!

+1

When I was younger, I got lots of advice from older people. Fortunately, I never listened to any of it. Or to quote Henry David Thoreau: “I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors.”

I guess if I were to give my younger self advice it would be: Don't worry. Don't hurry. The purity of your attention is the greatest gift you can give another person. Appreciating the present moment is the greatest gift you can give yourself. [edit] Oh yeah, and don't forget to laugh a lot. Especially at yourself.

cccorlew 09-17-07 07:50 PM

Carry on kid. It's all gonna work out fine.
Oh, and buy Cisco, then sell in 2000.
Bet the 49ers and Raiders in the early 80s.

solveg 09-18-07 04:43 AM

Don't eat inland seafood in Mexico.

Floss.

Don't wait to do homework until the hour before class.