Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have you noticed how we've changed?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Have you noticed how we've changed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 09:52 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I've changed. I've really slimmed down -- take a look!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stickfig.jpg (5.0 KB, 34 views)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-20-07, 10:46 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No wonder you need to shrink those sweat pants!
Old 09-20-07, 06:54 PM
Member in good standing

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know of someone who runs 5 miles a day, and swims at least 3x a week, plus golf, etc. He is now at 75! Nothing slowing him down. Absolutely inspirational!
Old 09-24-07, 11:45 PM

Bikes: giant ocr2 carbon, raleigh 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not too good with words, but here goes....turned 64 in july,had been riding for one year so i decided to go for the Seattle to Portland ride with a group from the local lbs, most of them at least over 40 - i was the oldest, we did the ride and i really achieved a personal best, two centuries back to back (had about 4 hours sleep between). of course, the oldest guy on the ride (not from our group) was 85 years old!! i passed him and he was really doing a great job. i can only hope, etc. i smoked for 27 years and quit back in 87, but i believe it still bothers me on the hills. lost 40+ pounds in the last year, down from 283 to 240ish now. just can't seem to get that last 20 off. had a couple of weeks off with broken rib from crash (other thread) and now back to 30 miles at least 3 times a week.

i want to encourage all of you out there who are struggling. you can do it. remember it is not an overnight thing, but you will see improvement almost before you realize it. you possibly will lose inches instead of weight at certain points, so don't rely too heavily on the scale (was that a pun?). my cholestrol dropped 40 points in the last year alone. believe it or not, the posterior pain mostly goes away, you will get used to that saddle, and each pound off makes it better.

i am lifted up each day by reading the postings here from folks whom i would like to be my friends. living out in the eastern oregon desert precludes me from meeting most of you, so it is here we meet.

thank you
cole
Old 09-25-07, 01:27 AM

Bikes: Logo Tike, TourEasy Clone, Bentech SWB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twiggy, Is that you!
Old 09-25-07, 07:30 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by umatillarider
lost 40+ pounds in the last year, down from 283 to 240ish now. just can't seem to get that last 20 off. thank you
cole
Great post. Losing more weight is pretty simple, but sometimes hard to execute-I've been there as well. It's just a matter of either exercising more or consuming less calories or both. What works best for me is adding miles at a constant but manageable pace. You'll probably feel like you're really starving for a couple weeks but your body will adjust. Just gotta work through that tough time.......
Old 09-25-07, 08:47 AM
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Great post. Losing more weight is pretty simple, but sometimes hard to execute-I've been there as well. It's just a matter of either exercising more or consuming less calories or both. What works best for me is adding miles at a constant but manageable pace. You'll probably feel like you're really starving for a couple weeks but your body will adjust. Just gotta work through that tough time.......
Me too, like you! I had a real problem losing the last 20 after initially losing 50 pounds. What did the trick was cutting way back on fats in the diet and adding another hour or two on a slow, aerobic zone only ride. Once the body learned to burn fat well, the pounds began dropping off visibly each ride. My only problem now is all that flabby skin around the middle! sometimes, I wish I could just trim it off with scissors, LOL.

knotty
Old 09-25-07, 09:21 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umatillarider
I am not too good with words, but here goes....turned 64 in july,had been riding for one year so i decided to go for the Seattle to Portland ride with a group from the local lbs, most of them at least over 40 - i was the oldest, we did the ride and i really achieved a personal best, two centuries back to back (had about 4 hours sleep between). of course, the oldest guy on the ride (not from our group) was 85 years old!! i passed him and he was really doing a great job. i can only hope, etc. i smoked for 27 years and quit back in 87, but i believe it still bothers me on the hills. lost 40+ pounds in the last year, down from 283 to 240ish now. just can't seem to get that last 20 off. had a couple of weeks off with broken rib from crash (other thread) and now back to 30 miles at least 3 times a week.

i want to encourage all of you out there who are struggling. you can do it. remember it is not an overnight thing, but you will see improvement almost before you realize it. you possibly will lose inches instead of weight at certain points, so don't rely too heavily on the scale (was that a pun?). my cholestrol dropped 40 points in the last year alone. believe it or not, the posterior pain mostly goes away, you will get used to that saddle, and each pound off makes it better.

i am lifted up each day by reading the postings here from folks whom i would like to be my friends. living out in the eastern oregon desert precludes me from meeting most of you, so it is here we meet.

thank you
cole
Nice post Cole - may all our paths cross at some point!
Old 09-26-07, 12:38 AM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This forum has played a big role in moving from casual rider to the next level. Respectful, witty answers to questions . . . lots of inspiring tales of accomplishments . . . commaraderie . . . advice on that next gadget . . . lighthearted off topic posts to keep it interesting . . . a wealth of knowledge . . . plenty of silly questions . . . encouragement . . . it's all here and more.

Since chiming in about a year ago I've dropped weight, improved my riding skills, bought a new bike (sorry DG, it wasn't white), geared up, and set goals that were unattainable just a few years ago. And I'm wondering if that tall rider along C470 in Denver last Saturday was DenvFox?
Old 09-26-07, 07:09 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
And I'm wondering if that tall rider along C470 in Denver last Saturday was DenvFox?
I doubt it, as I am writing from a condo right on the Pacific ocean (it sounds as if the waves are coming into the room) in Carlsbad, CA, and I have been here since last Friday!
Old 09-26-07, 07:56 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I doubt it, as I am writing from a condo right on the Pacific ocean (it sounds as if the waves are coming into the room) in Carlsbad, CA, and I have been here since last Friday!
Maybe I'll see you on the road there! That's right where I bike, usually between 8am and noon, along 101. If you see a guy in his late 50's, riding a blue LWB 'bent, that's me!

It would be fun to meet someone from Denver, since I grew up there - lived there from 1951 to 1966, when I left to go to college.
Old 09-26-07, 02:14 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Then there is another fine 50+ gentleman riding those trails. While waiting for the light to change, I asked about the Platte River trail connection and quickly learned I was lost . . . a common occurance

Course when I responded, I wasn't really lost, just exploring where I thought I wasn't!

We parted company at the light, but as I looked back there was a resemblance to your icon, so I thought I would ask. It would have been really cool to meet on a bike trail and discover the connection from this forum. Enjoy your visit to California . . . I'm on my way to New Hamshire and Maine in a week to attempt a century ride along the coast with my son (pictures and ride report coming!)