Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Does It Happen?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How Does It Happen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 07:29 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Does It Happen?

How does this addiction get into our heads? What is it that makes us do what we do...that is ride and ride. I can't believe what has happened to me in the last year. I used to jog a to get the heart rate up a little but my 50 year old knees started to protest and I gave it up. My brother in-law suggested I get a bike...hmmm, that sounds like a good idea, so off to Wally World I go and pick up a Mountain Bike. Not the most expensive in their stable, but not the bottom shelf either. After about 200 miles this bike is falling apart and I know I'm hooked on riding so I head on down to my LBS and start looking at MB's. I pull a Trek 4300 off the rack and I think I like it...fits good and runs sooo much nicer than that Wally World bike. I buy it and I'm off to the races so to speak.

Suddenly I find myself riding 5-6 days a week and keeping track of my daily ride at bikejournal.com, must go faster and farther...so then I start turning my Trek into a hybrid, I cut 2" off each end of the handlebars and move the controls as far in as possible, next, the knobby tires have to go, so I get some road slicks. Then I get some pedals with baskets on them. I even take my bike on vacation with us because I can't bear the thought of not riding for a week! Now I'm starting to get some serious miles under my belt...but then it happened, I started to ride with a fellow from church...the guy with the $4,000 Specialized CF bike. I'm sure he's trying to kill me...but I stay with it and can sorta keep up, but alas, I do believe my equipment is somewhat limited.

So it's off to my LBS again and this time I'm looking at road bikes. The guy in the store just grins when he sees me looking at them because he's seen the "transformation" of my MB to hybrid and now he knows what is getting ready to happen. Now I'm starting to drop some serious cash down, at least in my house, for a bicycle! I'm thinking this is nuts! But I do it anyway...I think it's kinda like the guy that goes into the Harley dealer and, well you know what happens. The next thing I know I'm walking a new bike out the door and home.

Now it's 6-7 days a week of riding and my avg speed has climbed to about 15mph of hilly riding. Then last week-end I made the final leap...clipless. Ohhhh, what's come over me! $130 for pedals!! It's a sickness I tell you. When will it end? Am I doomed to the sound of whirling cassettes for the rest of my life? I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to, after all a round of golf takes more time and costs much more than riding. Fishing requires a boat and then there's the cost of fuel these days. But I guess the best part is that about 4 years ago my BP was 140/90 and I was 50lbs heavier. I could still stand to lose about 10lbs but my BP is down to 102/68 with a resting heart rate of 62.

Yeah, I think I'll keep pedaling.

Last edited by Metric Man; 09-20-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had time to do "only" about 20 miles this afternoon, so I did it. Then when I got back, I was still pumped up to ride, so I did 8 miles riding in circles in the parking lot.

There ain't no cure...
Old 09-20-07, 08:13 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep pedaling, Metric Man! It's a glorious thing, this biking stuff. Joyful.
Old 09-20-07, 08:32 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's happened to a lot of us

I'm off for a club ride in the morning, another ride Saturday morning, club picnic Saturday afternoon which will include some riding and then to the regular Sunday morning breakfast ride. Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to do some work around the house

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-20-07, 08:34 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first, I enjoyed the same addiction; however, the addiction became an obsession. When I bought a bent, eliminated the garmin, quit keeping records, riding------for me-------became fun again. I have a Cateye Mity 8 hooked up to the back wheel for the sole purpole of knowing when I should start maintenance in case I missed something. Someone on this forum told me they measured their rides by "smiles per mile" and now, I smile a lot.

Good luck and good riding.
Old 09-20-07, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to do some work around the house
Or not...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mel_gibson.jpg (32.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-20-07, 09:00 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get the connection, but thanks for the eye candy, Big Paulie!
Old 09-20-07, 11:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea what Metric Man is talking about. Addiction? Pshaw! I could quit biking any time I wanted. Of course, not this week, or for that matter this month, because I want to stay on goal. Then I could quit, cold turkey -- oh wait, I have a goal for the year as well. I could easily quit in 2008. Piece of cake. Yep, just walk away. No problem.

What kind of clipless did you get, by the way?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-21-07, 02:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hi, my name is Bruce and I'm a bikeaholic.

I started a year ago March with a hybrid and a plan to ride occasionally to work--five to seven miles, twice a week.

Yeah, bikejournal and "N+1" hit. I rode nearly 3,000 miles in the first nine months, and am now acquiring bikes at the rate of one every nine months. Yesterday I brought home the Trek Portland I've had on layaway.

While waiting in the shop while they put the bottle cages on the new bike, I realized I could use a nice Campy-equipped Bianchi, you know, to bring some balance to my Shimano-heavy stable. Hmmm... Should I plan on the leftover 2005 model that's one of the last steel ones, or indulge myself in a little CF?

This, even before I have the new one out the door of the shop...
Old 09-21-07, 04:40 AM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
What kind of clipless did you get, by the way?
Speed Play
Old 09-21-07, 04:55 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well you won't catch me buying a new bike...or....er...well....
my commuter is kinda old....or,maybe just a good headlight for
a couple hundred dollars.....
Old 09-21-07, 05:36 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find this to be true of any real exercise, maybe it is the endorphins? I know when I was running it was the same way, I would often come home from work and feel that I did not want to run that day. I would sit for 15-30min feeling guilty looking out the window and say, heck get your shoes on and go out there. Of course when you are finished you feel great and this just reinforces your motivation. These types of addictions can be bad, however, if you don't provide your body recovery time. I have also seen that in both cycling and running, those that push themselves beyond their bodies ability to cope. Then you end up with chronic problems like stress fractures, tendonitus, shin splints etc.

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-21-07, 08:06 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Well Metric Man,

I think it could have something to do with where you live! I rode through Beaumont on the Breathless Agony ride, then up Oak Glen, to Damnation Alley, out to Angels Oaks and up to Onyx Summit. Lovely. I guess you do a similar ride (or the same ride) fairly often .

I know I would if I lived out there!

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-21-07, 02:02 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
Now it's 6-7 days a week of riding and my avg speed has climbed to about 15mph of hilly riding.
When you start to ride 8 days a week, then it's time for help.
Old 09-21-07, 02:10 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Full carbon. You need full carbon. Do not listen to the steel freeks. You know you want it. You might even realize that you need it. Just buy it. Don't forget the bibshorts.
Old 09-21-07, 02:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Plastic is for toys. Machinery is made of metal.
Old 09-21-07, 02:19 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I'm not in the 50 plus club but it's approaching quickly and I know what I'm going to do to celebrate...

I'll be hand building a fixed gear touring bike and will ride it from Victoria, British Columbia to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island and if it all works out, my kids will be doing the trans continental with me.

From there I might just hop on a boat and keep on going to the UK and Europe.

I passed addiction and moved on to obsession a long time ago.
Old 09-21-07, 03:34 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Well Metric Man,

I think it could have something to do with where you live! I rode through Beaumont on the Breathless Agony ride, then up Oak Glen, to Damnation Alley, out to Angels Oaks and up to Onyx Summit. Lovely. I guess you do a similar ride (or the same ride) fairly often .

I know I would if I lived out there!

Rick / OCRR
Yes Rick, it appears you know of my beautiful area. My daily ride is usually only about 1200' of elevation change in 16-17 miles. Riding to Oak Glen is something I've been considering more and more. You rode from Beaumont to Onyx Summit?? You sir, are an animal! And have my respect.
Old 09-21-07, 03:35 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Full carbon. You need full carbon. Do not listen to the steel freeks. You know you want it. You might even realize that you need it. Just buy it. Don't forget the bibshorts.
I hear voices...must resist...
Old 09-21-07, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Hi, my name is Bruce and I'm a bikeaholic.

I started a year ago March with a hybrid and a plan to ride occasionally to work--five to seven miles, twice a week.

Yeah, bikejournal and "N+1" hit. I rode nearly 3,000 miles in the first nine months, and am now acquiring bikes at the rate of one every nine months. Yesterday I brought home the Trek Portland I've had on layaway.

While waiting in the shop while they put the bottle cages on the new bike, I realized I could use a nice Campy-equipped Bianchi, you know, to bring some balance to my Shimano-heavy stable. Hmmm... Should I plan on the leftover 2005 model that's one of the last steel ones, or indulge myself in a little CF?

This, even before I have the new one out the door of the shop

and the problem is???? sounds perfectly normal to me

I really DO need (uh, want?) a more capable, fender-friendly fat tired road style bike for winter trekking in Ohio. That Trek Portland looks nice.

My sister is getting a Bleriot, and I really want one of those, too!

The madness never ends. I am hopelessly addicted.
Old 09-21-07, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hooked and I'm proud.

For me, it's more than endorphins (although I'm sure that contributes to it). For me, it's like playing music - it's something you can pick up quickly at one level, but spend a few lifetimes learning, savoring, and getting better at. When I was young, I really wanted to master something, but now I think that would probably disappoint me.

You can never have too many bikes or guitars!
Old 09-21-07, 09:44 PM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
hi, my name is jim (forum responds: Hi, Jim!)

i am addicted to cycling. this weekend i felt the urge coming on. i quickly called my sponsor. he came over.....

we knocked off a quick thirty miles... we both felt much better.

seems to me there are a lot of addictions that are a lot worse. (i am also addicted to guitars....) i have simply GOT to find some cheaper addictions... dang.

rumor has it that the urges, cravings, needs, wants and desires only get stronger with time... it is futile to resist.

be,
and be well,

jim
Old 09-21-07, 10:06 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Yesterday I brought home the Trek Portland I've had on layaway.
Hey, tsl. Congratulations on bringing the Portland home! How do you like it?
Old 09-21-07, 11:41 PM

Bikes: Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not hooked
I only have 8 bikes so I don't wear 1 out to quick
Old 09-22-07, 06:42 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
MM's story is similar to many of ours. Makes you wonder why we stayed off the bike since we starting driving..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.