Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What about a Raleigh?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What about a Raleigh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a Raleigh?

Saw some of there bikes at a L.B.S. the price is right. Tell me what you know about them.
Old 09-26-07, 01:02 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
The last time I saw a Raleigh was a Raleigh mtn.bike, about 6-7 years ago. Well made, solid, a bit on the heavy side, but a decent bike. Seems a majority here ride road bikes most of the time, so I'm going to guess you are talking about a road bike--don't know much about them, but here's some reviews for ya:
https://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...68_820crx.aspx
Old 09-26-07, 01:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raleigh makes some decent bikes. They use the same parts that many other use. But you may need to narrow it down a bit as to which Raleigh bike you are looking at.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-26-07, 02:04 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Raleigh makes some decent bikes. They use the same parts that many other use. But you may need to narrow it down a bit as to which Raleigh bike you are looking at.
Raleigh are -or were- A UK company and they made bikes right from the Cheap and Wallmart quality -right up to pro team level. Then they went bust and were taken over by the Conglomerate that bought most of the european bike manufacturers and went through a spell of cheap bikes only. Last couple of years though and the name has appeared on a few higher quality road bikes. The name still appears on the wallmart quality bikes so be carefull on what you are looking at. A cheap bike will always be a cheap bike- But in the better quality ones- Raleigh are about the same level in the price range as other manufacturers.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-26-07, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Raleigh is coming out with a steel touring bike with good components right after the Las Vegas bike show. They are going to be in the $1200 to $1300 range. The show is going on right now I believe.
Old 09-26-07, 05:39 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raleigh was a good UK bike company, I have a a 30 year old Raleigh Grand Prix with a really nice lugged frame. But like many companies Raleigh was bought, shuffled, sold, and bought again. Raleigh is now I believe just a name. Raleigh bike sold in Canada are not the same as the ones sold in the US. I suspect the parent company sells the name or puts labels on bikes.
Old 09-26-07, 05:50 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Raleigh USA has been making good quality bikes for at least several years now (sold in the USA). My riding partner has their carbon frame/Ultegra version with Ritchey wheels. He purchased it about 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not sure of the model designation. He's is VERY satisfied with the bike and it has performed very well. The local Raleigh dealer has slacked off on selling them because, according to him, Raleigh raised their prices and were not as competitive as they were the last few years, so he went to Fuji for a bargain brand.
IMHO, For the right price and if I liked the LBS I would not hesitate to buy a new Raleigh.
Old 09-26-07, 07:12 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride a lot of bikes at all your LBSs. When you find the right bike, you will know, and our opinions are worthless. This forum can't help you w/what feels good to you.
Old 09-26-07, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I have a new Grand Prix road bike and love it.
Old 09-26-07, 07:28 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hoss10
Raleigh was a good UK bike company, I have a a 30 year old Raleigh Grand Prix with a really nice lugged frame. But like many companies Raleigh was bought, shuffled, sold, and bought again. Raleigh is now I believe just a name. Raleigh bike sold in Canada are not the same as the ones sold in the US. I suspect the parent company sells the name or puts labels on bikes.
My first new bike - circa 1972 was a steel Raliegh Grand Prix, I rode it for 12 years, all through college. I traded it in for a Miyata touring bike - which I hated. I hated this bike so much that I gave up riding for a few years until I bough my Simoncini.
Old 09-26-07, 08:28 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I have a Passage 4.5 and I've not had a single problem with it. It seems really well made and all the parts function well. Its a hybrid without suspension and I've abused it (and myself) by taking 15 mile rides with it on loose gravel. We have held up fine. My lbs sells them and my next bike will probably be a Raleigh.
Old 09-26-07, 09:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a venture 4.0 comfort bike iv'e had for a year and a half and I am very happy with it.No problems at all.
Old 09-26-07, 09:24 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
They seem to have a good range of models, a few of them kind of interesting. They seem to be as good as most other brands using the same technologies and parts in the same price ranges. Parts is parts.
Old 09-26-07, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only thing I can add to this is my favorite LBS is sending all the Raleigh bikes they have in stock back to the mfg. They are not happy with the quality. Mostly drivetrain and wheel issues.
Old 09-26-07, 09:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the opposite of my favorite LBS, which carries Raleigh as their lower end line and has told me that they are very pleased with the bikes, including their carbon road bikes. And their owner has dropped a few lines in the past on quality issues.
Old 09-27-07, 05:18 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Raleigh Cadent 1.0 and like it very much. It is an entry level bike that was only $600, but it got me into road bikes for a decent price.
Old 09-27-07, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Only thing I can add to this is my favorite LBS is sending all the Raleigh bikes they have in stock back to the mfg. They are not happy with the quality. Mostly drivetrain and wheel issues.
They are having a problem with the carbon forks breaking as well.
Old 09-27-07, 06:24 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the Cadent. My wife and I have matching Cadent 2.0 with 105 in the back and Tiagra up front. Very comfortable bikes. Quick without being twitchy and good workmanship. They seem to have the whole market covered.
Old 09-27-07, 06:40 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Raleigh USA has existed since the 80's(?). No connection to Raleigh UK, as I understand it.
Old 09-27-07, 07:25 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I looked at the Raleigh Cadent when shopping for my entry-level road bike a couple years ago. I was mainly interested in them due to fond memories of the Raleigh "English bike" that I got for Christmas when I was about 9 or 10 years old. It was a real upgrade from my first Huffy kid's bike, with its "skinny" tires, 3-speed hub, hand brakes, and generator-driven lights.

Anyway, the LBS that sells them in this area was not to my liking, so I went elsewhere and ended up with a Specialized.
Old 09-27-07, 08:35 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has a Raleigh hybrid that seems to be a nice solid machine.
Old 09-27-07, 01:55 PM

I just got back from the doctor and he has 3 Raleigh's and one Specialized. He said, if I were you, I'd have a look at them.
Old 09-29-07, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an entry level Raleigh Sport. i've had it for two years and put 8000 km on it with no problems at all. it is a little heavy but it is just an entry level.
Old 10-01-07, 12:35 AM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
i have a 2006 raleigh cadent 2.0.... outstanding bike for me. relaxed geometry, good componentry. aluminum frame, carbon fork... ( the 2007 cadents suffered a recall for the carbon fork, it has been fixed)... i love the bike and have no regrets purchasing it.

but that is just me..... the only way to find the right bike is to ride a LOT of bikes. when you ride the right one, you (and your body) will know.

be,

and be well,

jim
Old 10-01-07, 11:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
I'm told that Trek, Specialized and Giant make up around 80% of the bike shop bike business in the USA. Raleigh USA is one of the many good little bike companies that are in the other 20%.

And yes, as others have said, Raleigh USA owns the American marketing rights to the historic British Raleigh bike company name, but is otherwise a completely separate company.

HTH,
TCS