Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Runnin' Man - Whips the Kiddies

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 08:44 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Woo-hoo!

I entered a 10K race yesterday morning, and set a personal best - 45:04 (a 7:15 / mile pace).

Not only did I win a nice beer mug for finishing first (out of 5) in the 50-54 age group, but I also finished 9th overall out of 76 finishers.

It feels good to beat all those young 'uns every once in a while...though, thank goodness for Advil this morning!
Old 10-01-07, 12:42 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the great run. That's a very fast pace you set. In exchange for getting my wife on a bike, I've taken up running. Can't say that I really see the attraction compared to cycling, but it does give you a workout.
Old 10-01-07, 12:59 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
Congrats on the great run. That's a very fast pace you set. In exchange for getting my wife on a bike, I've taken up running. Can't say that I really see the attraction compared to cycling, but it does give you a workout.
Yeah...I've been running for over a year now, and have yet to really discover the "Joy of Running".

It's mostly hard work, and I've injured myself several times already (including a stress fracture of my fibula that kept me off the running trails and off the bike for over a month!). I still prefer the speed and technology that are part of cycling.

But running does provide a very good, time efficient workout, and I feel much more complete as an athlete from being able to do it (I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles).

And, for getting in some exercise when you're traveling, it's hard to beat - a pair of running shoes and shorts fit in a suitcase a whole lot easier than my bike!
Old 10-01-07, 01:11 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and my first place finish was helped by the fact that:

a) one of the fast guys in my age group pulled out of the race with a calf muscle strain

b) there was a half marathon option, and a lot of the fast guys entered that instead of the 10K.

But, still...I got the beer mug and the red ribbon, so Life is Good!
Old 10-01-07, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles

I'm not a hard core cyclist, perhaps an enthusiastic one, and I couldn't run a half mile. Glad you showed the young punks what an old fart can do when his (or her) mind is set on the goal. Congratulations!
Old 10-02-07, 05:00 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats!!!!!!! Feels good doesn't it!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-07, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

But running does provide a very good, time efficient workout, and I feel much more complete as an athlete from being able to do it (I know plenty of hard core cyclists who could not run more than 3 miles).
I wish I could run but even short runs make my ankles swell and my knees scream. I just hope I can keep walking fairly long distances - I have shoe orthotics to help that.
Old 10-02-07, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Good going! I ran cross country in prep school and 10K races until about 15 years ago. I had a dream about racing last night, so you may have inspired me to get back into it. It does get into one's blood.

Paul
Old 10-02-07, 10:22 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
That's a really good time for a 10K, with appropriate age-group results. I didn't start running "seriously" until I was 50, so at 61 I am still improving and setting PRs. I'm now doing sub-2-hour HMs. I only do about one 10K a year, and my last was about 54 minutes. But as long as I can run a 10K in less than my age and ride my age on a bicycle, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

By the way, I also get the same perverse pleasure from reading the results and seeing all the people that I beat that are 20+ years younger!