Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   San Diego slide........... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/349816-san-diego-slide.html)

LastPlace 10-03-07 12:57 PM

San Diego slide...........

Gary,

Can you tell us what is happening? We are only getting the ocassional bit of news here on the east coast.

I ask because I may someday get to San Diego for a ride.

LastPlace

Digital Gee 10-03-07 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by LastPlace (Post 5383444)
Gary,

Can you tell us what is happening? We are only getting the ocassional bit of news here on the east coast.

I ask because I may someday get to San Diego for a ride.

LastPlace

If something's happening, nobody's told me!

stapfam 10-03-07 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5383510)
If something's happening, nobody's told me!

But then you are always the last to know. So whats happening?

Dogbait 10-03-07 02:22 PM

Whole place slippin' away.

Sinkhole

Digital Gee 10-03-07 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dogbait (Post 5384319)
Whole place slippin' away.

Sinkhole

First I'd heard. Looks like it will be a great place for a mountain bike. :D

Crash716 10-03-07 03:41 PM

yeah...no more climbing MT solidad the hard way for awhile...there are two ways to the top though..no biggie...i don't think it's the first time...

Louis 10-03-07 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Devo?

Dogbait 10-04-07 12:36 AM

"These houses have actually gained more yardage this year than the San Diego
Chargers"

--Jay Leno

Digital Gee 10-04-07 01:29 AM

This is getting embarrassing.

stonecrd 10-04-07 05:32 AM

This is pretty much common place in CA, especially in the winter. This is one catastrophe that seems favor the rich as they build these homes perched on hillsides in places like Malibu and La Jolla and then it rains for a week and the whole side of the hill comes down. Like fires and earthquakes it is part of daily life on the left coast.

Hermes 10-04-07 07:12 AM

Here is an article from the San Diego Union Tribune...http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...n03slide4.html

stapfam 10-04-07 02:27 PM

Must have been more than 50 years ago and I lived in London. We had only just got over our argument with the Germans and We were still finding things like unexploded bombs in parts of the London. When that happened- two things could happen- It could explode- and thats why it was found- Or the roads were closed and houses evacuated till it was dealt with. One summer- Probably when I was about 6- we were evacuated and the whole family went to stay with relations over the weekend as another Bomb had been found locally. Apparantly- it was on a previous bomb site that had demolished a couple of house and was used by all the locals for Bonfires and The kids to play on.

Well we went away for the weekend and got home Sunday night and went indoors. There was a massive great big hole in the back garden. They reckoned that a bomber had dropped a string of Bombs and they estimated that the next one would have been in our garden. A couple of years later and we had to move. In digging the garden to find the bomb- The foundations of the house had been disturbed and the rear wall was coming down. The house had stood for over 100 years- had gone through the war unscathed and just because some Captain in the Army had wanted a long weekend in London- he had caused a landslide of the foundations into the hole.

Dchiefransom 10-04-07 11:27 PM

Hmmm, I thought this was going to be about some crazy new dance step.

John E 10-05-07 07:50 AM

The problem in the greater San Diego area's mesa-and-valley topography is that city and county governments have allowed construction on unstable hillsides, in floodplains, on fault lines, etc. The good news for residents and potential visitors is that this highly publicized landslide is a localized incident which affects only one major street and a dozen homeowners directly. This neighborhood has experienced house-swallowing landslides since it was first graded in 1960. I sympathize with the homeowners who are left holding the bag after the developers have made their millions and the insurance companies correctly note that they never promised to cover earth movement in their policies. I anticipate a multimillion dollar class action suit against the City of San Diego, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out over the coming months.

This one literally hits pretty close to home, since my wife grew up about a mile from the slide area and since the homes of two of my elementary school friends met similar fates when I lived in west Los Angeles. In that case, the landslides, including one which filled the back half of our house with 4 feet of mud, occurred after a devastating fire removed all stabilizing vegetation from local hillsides. The folks whose homes burned to the ground at least collected on their homeowner insurance.

Nachoman 10-08-07 10:10 PM

I tried to pedal up to Mt. Soledad, via Soledad Mtn Road, yesterday and it was totally blocked off with police at every point of access. :mad: No cars, no bikes and no pedestrians allowed. Residents only. I couldn't even get close to the slide area. :mad: So I had to pedal back down and climb up a different side of the mountain to get to the top. It tagged on another 5 miles onto my ride. :D

Old Hammer Boy 10-09-07 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 5388336)
This is pretty much common place in CA, especially in the winter. This is one catastrophe that seems favor the rich.

It's because they ride 2 1/2 times more than the poor!

Litespeed 10-09-07 06:15 PM

Anything like that is BIG news in San Diego. I remember once on the news there was no news to report so instead they kept mentioning a cloud in the sky -- that's news??? Another time a tree had fallen over onto a car and that was BIG news too, they even interviewed a neighbor where the tree had fallen down and he was all upset saying "other trees could fall down too." Sometimes it can get really boring here.
It will be quite awhile before they have Mt. Soledad all cleared up, so no cycling on that side. The same thing happened about 20 years ago too, same exact spot, don't they ever learn???

Digital Gee 10-09-07 09:44 PM

If it so much as sprinkles in San Diego, we get "Team Coverage" on all five local news broadcasts. :rolleyes:

Nachoman 10-10-07 07:25 AM

After about twenty years of "local" news, I'm just being able to tolerate it.

Artkansas 10-10-07 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 5426994)
After about twenty years of "local" news, I'm just being able to tolerate it.

Larry Himmel was God!

Digital Gee 10-10-07 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 5430187)
Larry Himmel was God!

Larry Himmel (who's still on TV, btw) used to say that once you lived in San Diego for ten years, you were a native. I actually had a party on my tenth anniversary of arriving to celebrate my new status, and even invited Larry to come. He called and declined but it was fun talking with him about it. This was in 1984. We played 1974 trivia, and I still remember one of the answers. The question was "What was the price of a first class stamp in 1974?"

Kurt Erlenbach 10-10-07 08:35 PM

The local news in Orlando a few days ago led with the story that someone's dog died while at doggy day care. It's shocking how bad local news can be.