Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wind Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Wind Jacket

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the gentleman from Wisconsin, I need to ask another question about winter apparel, even if winter is not officially here.

I took the plunge and bought a base layer shirt and a long sleeve jersey. Whether or not they will work remains to be seen.

Now I would like to find a wind jacket. I've looked at Foxwear and J & G based on research elsewhere in BF. Does anyone here have a Foxwear or J & G wind jacket? How well do they work? Do you wear another type or brand of wind jacket that is the best thing since a pocket on a shirt? What is it? How well does it work? Did you have to take out a second mortgage to buy it?

Thanks,

John
Old 10-06-07, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I wear a PearlIzumi full zip wind shell (neon yellow). I layer under it, and it's compact enough to wad up in a jersey pocket. Living in CA, that's all I usually need unless it's "really" cold for here, in which case I have a lined nylon cycling jacket with zipper pockets, zippered collar, tighter wrists.

I'm not familiar with Fox or J&G......often, without OCP'ness, cycling specific clothing works best.
Old 10-06-07, 02:10 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used an anorak from LL Bean that I bought in the early 80's up until about 2 years ago when my wife bought me an Marmot minimalist shell. This works great and breaths, can be folded up and stuffed into my hydration pack. I will also use a patagonia wind stopper fleece jacket sometimes. If it gets real cold I just won't ride outside - I tear up too much. I have never tried riding with googles although I have thought about it.
Old 10-06-07, 02:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Top coats are something you learn to acquire in sales over the years. I have quite a few-most of which were bought cheap and the ones that worked I still have.

As a pure windproof- there is nothing better than Pertex. Very lightweight material that will fold up into a large fist and can be stowed in the rear pocket if required. It offers no warmth, is not in any way waterproof but will keep the wind out superbly. Due to the wind proofing- it will keep you warm due to no heat loss and is completely breathable.

Then there is a Nike showerproof. Still breathable and will just about resist rain but not for long. still windproof and on a cold frosty morning I will wear this in preference to the pertex as it is double layered and keeps a bit more body warmth in.

Then I have a Polaris winter top. Showerproof and windproof and a bit warmer than the Nike top.

All of these will pack up small into their own pockets so can be worn round the waist if required.

Then the real Top. A Goretex cycling specific Waterproof. This is waterproof- windproof and is the 3 layer goretex so can get a bit warm if the sun comes up. But for those days when rain is persisting down will keep me completely dry.

I have others like a Thin Duvet for those really cold days. A cheap waterproof that is waterproof and plenty of vents to cut back moisture Build up from inside. And a couple of thicker long sleeve tops. In the long sleeve tops- I have one made of Roubaix material- developed for the Paris Roubaix race which is not always held in the best of weather. Pretty warm- almost windproof and the front is Damp proof.

All of these work- for the differing conditions And other than the Goretex for the wet days- If I was given a choice- it would be the Polaris top that would be worn. Main thing you want to get is breathable material- or if not breathable- then plenty of vents to allow body moisture to disipate easily.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-06-07, 09:42 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try to find a used Burley jacket. I bought the last one in a bike shop last fall. Best waterproof breatheable jacket I ever had bar none. I will wear this jacket over fleece when I go skiing. Too bad the company got so flummoxed and had to quit making outerwear it was the best IMHO
Old 10-08-07, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may not help much but I have a wind jacket that the sleeves zip off to make a vest. Don't know the brand because it was left at our vacation house. Look on scambay under "cycling jackets" to get an idea of what is out there. Pearl makes some nice stuff that is reasonably priced.