Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Skunk Trifecta

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Skunk Trifecta

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07, 11:33 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Skunk Trifecta

I bike commute. On Wednesday I often am riding along suburban Northern California trails at 1 AM. This last Wednesday I saw, way too close, not one, or two, but three skunks, about two miles apart.

I keep thinking, "What if I care or annoy one?" I'd be throwing out a lot of expensive bike wear, and who knows how the bike would fare...

All in all, I like seeing the owls and coyotes a lot more.
Old 10-12-07, 11:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I bike commute. On Wednesday I often am riding along suburban Northern California trails at 1 AM. This last Wednesday I saw, way too close, not one, or two, but three skunks, about two miles apart.

I keep thinking, "What if I care or annoy one?" I'd be throwing out a lot of expensive bike wear, and who knows how the bike would fare...

All in all, I like seeing the owls and coyotes a lot more.
We have a Song over here about Magpies and the quantity you see them in. So what is seeing 3 skunks- lucky or Unlucky?- Or are you buying the new cycle gear?

Spike Milligan
Old 10-12-07, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At lkeast you saw them in time for evasive action. It is really uncomfortable to see and smell them at the same time.....tomoto juice does NOT work to eliminate the smell.
Old 10-12-07, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This solution works pretty well but depends on the H2O2/bicarb mix being fresh to the point of still bubbling.

In a plastic bucket mix 1 quart of fresh hydrogen peroxide (not that bottle in the back of the cabinet), a quarter cup of baking soda, and a squirt or two of dish washing soap.

The mixture will bubble. Thoroughly wet the victim in this mixture, taking care to keep it out of the eyes. Pour it on and rub. Use a sacrificial rag or two. Rinse and repeat.

This first time I tried this, I used an old bottle H2O2 and the results (on a cat, mind you) were not excellent. A repeat using fresh H2O2 made a huge difference, leaving just a hint of skunk behind. And yes, thank you, my scars have all faded.
Old 10-12-07, 03:27 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
This first time I tried this, I used an old bottle H2O2 and the results (on a cat, mind you) were not excellent. A repeat using fresh H2O2 made a huge difference, leaving just a hint of skunk behind. And yes, thank you, my scars have all faded.
Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it
Old 10-12-07, 11:27 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found 3 skunks so far on my commmute into work. I posted this a while back

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=334216

I think that is the closest I have come to getting hit or should I say sprayed.
Old 10-12-07, 11:46 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are skunks in our neighborhood. I smelled one as walked to the car as I left for work. I wondered "what if I get sprayed as I get into the car? Would I ever get the smell out of the car?... my hair?... my clothes????" I have also smelled the odor in the neighborhood while riding at night. They are cute little critters though.