Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How has cycling changed your life?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 12:25 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm new to cycling (still researching which bike to buy) and was just interested to know how/or if cycling has changed your life, especially if you started late in life as I’ll be doing.

I'm moving from inline skating (which I still love) to cycling because inline just doesn’t offer the same type of camaraderie I see amongst cyclist and it doesn’t offer the same emotional release I think I’d get from a nice long ride after a long day at work. I’ll also be able to ride after it has rained which is not a very safe thing to do with inline skates on wet streets.

So, if you could help me to understand how cycling has changed your life and what you gain from your rides you’ll help me to understand this sport/hobby a bit better.

I hope this isn’t an odd question to ask, but I’m just interested to know if what I think I’ll gain from cycling is similar to what others are gaining from cycling.
Old 10-23-07, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should mention this. Just the other day it occurred to me that after almost 12 years of cycling 6000 miles a year, I'm still seeing health gains and emotional benefits. Oddly enough, my weight isn't much lower, but waistline is somewhat slimmer, and my CV is infinitely stronger. I'm a stronger, better cyclist than I was even 6 months ago...and that's after a decade of riding. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
Old 10-23-07, 12:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not a great deal really- But I have been riding for 17 Years and I can't remember what I did yesterday= let alone 17 years ago.

I think the big change that I can see that has changed my life is in my friends. Except for the new ones I have found through cycling- all my old friends are Overweight- Seeing the Doc on a regular basis for ongoing medical problems- Or Dead.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-23-07, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh gosh, how hasn't it changed my life?
I've gone from sitting on the couch, stuffing my face to getting out for ~100 miles a week of peaceful solitude and harmony. Just me and the bike in the open sea air and all that is around me. I've seen and felt myself become slimmer, fitter, healthier and more energetic. I get really cranky and b*tchy if I don't get my time in the saddle but overall I just feel better about everything and take great pride and comfort in my gains over the past year and a half. I don't know why I ever quit in the first place but I won't repeat that mistake if I have any say in the matter.
Old 10-23-07, 01:01 PM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't made any new friends because of cycling.

Damn this sucks !!!!

SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-07, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a big part of my life. I feel so much better, both physically and psychologically when I cycle. I've met so many wonderful people, cycling. My wife and I belong to a local riding club and enjoy the fellowship that offers. We ride a tandem about 50% of the time, and that has brought us closer and provides us with some quality time together. This year I rode across the U.S. and can't even begin to explain what a wonderful experience that was. Cycling ranks right up there with one of the big three things in my life; my marriage, my friends, and my job. I "likes" it an awful lot!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-07, 02:03 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Oh gosh, how hasn't it changed my life?
I've gone from sitting on the couch, stuffing my face to getting out for ~100 miles a week of peaceful solitude and harmony. Just me and the bike in the open sea air and all that is around me. I've seen and felt myself become slimmer, fitter, healthier and more energetic. I get really cranky and b*tchy if I don't get my time in the saddle but overall I just feel better about everything and take great pride and comfort in my gains over the past year and a half. I don't know why I ever quit in the first place but I won't repeat that mistake if I have any say in the matter.
+1, except SKT rides further than me, and up more hills. I've dropped almost thirty pounds in a little over two years, I have ridden a little over 5,000 miles (I know that's not much compared with many of you!), and I've found cycling to be the best stress reducer I've ever tried.

OTOH, it has also lightened my wallet and I find myself not only wearing but preaching the benefits of bib shorts.

All that said, cycling has done NOTHING for my mechanical aptitude. Mental attitude up, but mechanical aptitude remains that of a banana slug.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-23-07, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you are an inline skater you may not see any health advantages, but if you were a couch potatoe you would see great health improvements over a year of riding. I am glad that you posted this because one of the reply mentioned that after 17 years of cycling health improvements are still being made. Health improvements are my main reason for riding, my second reason is that I like riding, and I like tinkering with the bike trying to make it work better. It is also fun to see how far I can ride without being overly stressed.

I live out in the sticks and ride by myself so the social side of biking has not come into play yet. I try to go to some of the college biking events and talk to the riders and event officials. It is interesting to see the new biking equipment being put to good use. I have recently started riding in a national military park so maybe I will be meeting some interesting people from all over the country.

I expect that in the next few months that you will really enjoy biking and learning about how to get your bike fitted to you and learning all about gearing and such to make biking even more fun.
Old 10-23-07, 02:52 PM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Lets see, I'm almost 50 lbs lighter, wearing clothes that I hadn't been able to in over 20 years. I'm happier, healthier, and more realxed. Oh yeah, my "physical relationship" with my wife of 25 years is better.

Basically, see my sig line...
Old 10-23-07, 02:55 PM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
I’ll also be able to ride after it has rained which is not a very safe thing to do with inline skates on wet streets.
Be aware, bicycling on wet streets isn't all that safe either. Watch out for anything flat and metal (manhole covers, etc.) and the stripes and lines in the road. (Yes, that stuff is slippery when it's wet!) Wet leaves, patches of mud, etc.
Old 10-23-07, 03:41 PM
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lost 40 lbs. My wife says I am easier to get along with when I ride. Made new friends from riding and working with the local club. Have gotten to see more of the countryin a new and special way.
Old 10-23-07, 03:48 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took up cycling about 17 years ago, to help me to overcome (finally!) an addiction to nicotine.

At the time, I was moderately overweight (about 195, at 5' 11"), and my life was filled with stress - mostly from being trapped in a loveless marriage with a real b*tch who had anger management issues. I looked older than I was, and felt that way too...plus, I didn't really like myself at the time and felt "unworthy" and not sexually attractive.

I can still remember those first few bike rides - they rekindled the joy I'd felt when riding as a kid. Over the years, I've gotten stronger and fitter, and now I'm "That Fit Guy".

I've climbed Alpe d'Huez, ridden to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado (at 14,000+ feet it's the highest paved road in America), ridden over the Continental Divide 10 times, and recently won the overall cycling title in my age/class at the Huntsman World Senior Games in St. George, Utah.

In many significant ways, bikes have saved and enriched my life...at this point, I could not imagine life without my bikes.
Old 10-23-07, 04:11 PM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At close to 60 years old I haven't felt healthier since I started serious riding about a year and a half ago.
It's gotten my butt off the couch watching mindless TV and into the saddle and outdoors.
I dropped 40 lbs in 8 months and have maintained to date.
More than physical benefits are the head clearing benefits of riding.
Winter is right around the corner here in NY but I'll keep cranking until it becomes uncomfortable.
Old 10-23-07, 04:18 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot another change. I've developed such sexy, muscular legs that women with strange, European accents literally stop me in the street and ask to photograph my Take a Look mirror. That never happened two years ago.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-23-07, 04:33 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight loss and blood sugar management without medication were biggies for me. I'd be 53 lbs heavier were it not for the calories I've burned cycling since 2004. I have fun doing it.
Old 10-23-07, 04:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
+1, except SKT rides further than me, and up more hills. I've dropped almost thirty pounds in a little over two years, I have ridden a little over 5,000 miles (I know that's not much compared with many of you!), and I've found cycling to be the best stress reducer I've ever tried.
I have? I don't know... Hills, yes, but then I have no choice if I want to accomplish anything "real" on my bike. They're just a fact of life living here on the fault line. But MORE miles? Let's see... ~2500 or so miles in a year and a half (with over a 1K in the last 6 months)? OK, maybe. But in terms of poundage dropped... ah... down from 220-225 to between 191-194 in that same year and a half. I might have you there!
Old 10-23-07, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I've developed such sexy, muscular legs that women with strange, European accents literally stop me in the street and ask to photograph my Take a Look mirror.
You'll notice that they didn't take a picture of your white bike...

Just sayin'
Old 10-23-07, 04:45 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Since I have been riding off and on for some 35 years, I am no lighter, but I have maitained my health pretty well. I can say that riding a century or two, especaillly when out of shape, has really tought me about personal limits, how to stick to a task, and how to really hunker down ad get a job done. Other than that nothing.
Old 10-23-07, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I've droped 60 lbs, and have gotten in much better shape. Due to some progress on other medical issues, I also have lung power back. That is really nice. But mainly, I have a new mindset that includes lots of exercise in daily life. bk
Old 10-23-07, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
I haven't made any new friends because of cycling.

Damn this sucks !!!!

SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!
Either you ride a white bike...or you were born after 1976, and try to socialize in places where you don't fit in!
Old 10-23-07, 06:59 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My blood pressure was 123/64 and pulse 50 this evening. I"ve lost 30 lbs [20 lbs to go] over the last year. I arrive at work awake and deal better with stress. Flipping bikes on craigslist and upgrading a stable of road bikes with constant improvements is a great hobby. My next big project is an electric assist folding bike.
I also have some fun and a little challenge from the elements during my commutes.

cheers
Old 10-23-07, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started about 16 months ago at age 46. I'm in much better shape, have lost about 50 lbs, and just love spending time riding. My 14 year old son rides some with me, and even joined me for a week-long ride this past summer. It's been great for my health and my enjoyment.
Old 10-23-07, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since April, I've noted the loss of 90 pounds, the gain of huge enjoyment, amazement at how once long human-powered distances now seem to short, and growing willingness to take any hill that comes along.

George
Old 10-23-07, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
My response is similar to the others. I've lost 60 pounds, and thus far have not found them. I've quit smoking but not tobacco. I still chew a little tobacco now and then. This sometimes dissuades ne'er-do-wells from drafting. After a lot of road miles on a mountain bike last year, I bought a road bike early this year, which I really enjoy, drop bars and all. My goal for this year was to ride a century and a total of 2,000 miles. Thus far, I've done three centuries and have 2,491 miles after today's after-work ride. I've spent money on jersey's, shorts, shoes, lights, and a new cassette. Like others, I've found an additional set of friends, who are by the way, some fairly decent folks. As others have mentioned, cycling is a great stress reliever, and it generates a feeling of accomplishment.

Good luck on the bike search. That will generate some stress, but you'll be able to ride it off.
Old 10-23-07, 08:41 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My resting pulse went from upper 50s to upper 40s. I have lost so many inches that people asked me if I am sick (apparently there are two groups of people now: those who are overweight and those who are sick). I feel like someone at least 20 years younger and feel more adventurous than I can ever remember. I talk about bike stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.