Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Trainers ... Which One?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 04:41 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, I'm wrapping up with getting a road bike put together, but I have the heebie jeebies about learning how to ride it with clipless pedals, because I'm still getting over an ankle fracture in May. I want to play it safe by learning how to ride the roadie during the winter ... and how to use clipless pedals during the winter ... in my basement.

I have never used bike trainers that allow you to hook your road bike's rear wheel to it. What are the gang's recommendations for good trainers?

Here's some trainers from PerformanceBike, but I can't see the forest for the trees:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/..._-UpgradeTrain
Old 11-02-07, 04:45 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only trainer I want is named Helga, she comes from Sweden, and she's a student at UCSD.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-02-07, 04:48 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No DG ... I said hook the rear wheel to the trainer ... not your rear molars!
Old 11-02-07, 04:54 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
No DG ... I said hook the rear wheel to the trainer ... not your rear molars!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-02-07, 05:20 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like DG's trainer but the BOSS would not let me bring one of those home.
Soooo I bought a Minoura VFS, It works fine.

I did not go with rollers because I had never used them before.

I doubt a trainer that clamps the rear wheels will teach you much about climpless pedals though and that a set of rollers is the place to learn.

Good luck
Old 11-02-07, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1UP and the Kurt Kinetic trainers are generally mentioned as the two best indoor trainers if you do not want a computer linked video type that start at about 2 to 3X the price of the 1Up and Kurt Kinetic. These two are cited for having the best build quality, fit a wide range of wheel diameters (Kurt Kinetic at least, unsure of 1Up), provide a realistic acceleration and coast down, increase resistance with speed similarly to a bike, quiet, and Kinetic's sealed, magnetic coupled fluid unit does not have seals that leak (search BikeForums on these two trainers more details).

I learned clipless pedals on a trainer. Practice clipping in in less than X complete pedals, less than X tries, and unclipping and hitting the brakes the instant an out of sight 1 minute timer rings or a commercial begins or ends on the TV. This made it automatic for me when I took the bike off the trainer and on the road.

My Kurt Kinetic is the third trainer I've had and should be the last I need.
Old 11-02-07, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
This has a rep as a good buy
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...0and%20Rollers
Old 11-03-07, 06:39 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my CycleOps Magneto. Under $200 and free shipping.

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/14403/
Old 11-03-07, 06:51 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Kurt Kinetic fliud trainer.
Old 11-03-07, 07:54 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a trainer that's incredibly loud, which bugs my wife. It would bug my wife even more if my loud trainer were Helga.
Old 11-03-07, 08:59 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the 1UP, realistic feel relative to wind & fluid trainers I've used before. Also GREAT customer service! Had a problem after about 3 months with my resistance unit, called & they immediately shipped out a new one to swap with a label to pay for return shipping. No problems since, has been flawless. also quiet in comparison to both types mentioned above.
Old 11-03-07, 11:49 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS sells two Kinetic trainers that sound familiar to each other, and similar to the ones the gang is talking about, but are 40 dollars different in price. What's up with that?
* "Kurt Kinetic Road Machine" ... $330. No description on website.
* "Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainer" ... $370. Resistance from 5-3000 watts (I'll take 5, Alex). Six and one/quarter pound freewheel. Sealed fluid chamber with magnetically-coupled driveshaft.

Could it be these two are the same model, but maybe made in a different year (with different year-name)? If not, then any comments between the two?
Old 11-03-07, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Ask your LBS. Might be that the cheaper one is the older model.
Functionally I bet they are going to be the same. If it is the older model it'll be
gray.

Kurt also has a speedo that does watts for $50. Very nice training tool for a
very nice price.
Old 11-03-07, 06:25 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CycleOps Fluid 2:

1. quiet
2. folds neatly
3. fairly lightweight
4. quiet
Old 11-04-07, 01:53 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
My LBS sells two Kinetic trainers that sound familiar to each other, and similar to the ones the gang is talking about, but are 40 dollars different in price. What's up with that?
* "Kurt Kinetic Road Machine" ... $330. No description on website.
* "Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainer" ... $370. Resistance from 5-3000 watts (I'll take 5, Alex). Six and one/quarter pound freewheel. Sealed fluid chamber with magnetically-coupled driveshaft.

Could it be these two are the same model, but maybe made in a different year (with different year-name)? If not, then any comments between the two?

Hi, Motorad!

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and if I recall the Curt website told how much power it can handle. I don't think it was as high as 3000 watts, but I'm sure it was a lot higher than any normal human will go. 3000 watt capability soundsl like an extremely heavy duty one , perhaps for track sprinters or pursuit racers, something that required very high levels of explosive power. I'm real happy with the Road Machine. I also have a Cyclops Fluid 2 that is pretty good, but not as smooth or quiet as the Road Machine.

Road Fan
Old 11-08-07, 03:15 PM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Cycleops #9320 Winter Training Kit, which includes a Fluid 2 trainer, mat, 2 climbing blocks (did you know that they can stack for additional height?), and a bike "thong". The list price is $399.99 but I got it from my LBS for $360. I figured that I was going to get the other stuff anyway, so why not just get the kit that included it all at once. I have not used any other trainers but I had looked at them all and ended up deciding between the Kurt Kinetic and Cycleops. I chose the Cycleops principally because it appeared to be easier to install/remove the bike from the trainer. I have only tried it out so far, but it is acceptably quiet and since I don't have any others to compare it with, I am sure that I will be happy with it.
Old 11-08-07, 03:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1UpUSA site has the best prices on Kurt Kinetic.
https://www.1upusa.com/
This will be the 4th winter that I have used my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer.......NO problems and very realistic performance. Does not coast like road riding but a heavier (18.5 lb) flywheel is available to improve coasting realism.......I, personally, don't need to practice/train for coasting.
Please consider the Continental bright yellow (Gold) trainer tire for improved "traction" with the trainer's roller...... Be prepared that trainers are BORING.......watching paint dry is more entertaining/tolerable.
Old 11-08-07, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have never seen one of these things in action. Is it easy to attach the bike and remove it or do you realistically need a space where you can attach a bike and just leave it set up?
Old 11-08-07, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kurt Kinetic road machine trainer and it only takes a couple of minutes to put my bike on it. Much of that time is changing the skewer to the one that came with the trainer so I don't scratch my alloy skewer. It is pretty easy to do.

Regards,
Ted
Old 11-08-07, 05:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depending on the model, usually takes a few moments to attach...nothing to discourage you (or give an excuse-- 8-) from using it. If rear wheel only trainer, usually folds up easily for storage...no need to leave it up. Consider as useful/necessary accessories: fan, dvd player, tv, iPod.

As everyone will point out, this is very two-dimensional riding, but it beats standing gloomily at the window watching the snow, rain, darkness, etc. Distractions make things bearable, cycling specific workout tapes like Spinervals make it "fun" (quotation marks will be understood after you meet Spinervals' Coach Troy.)
Old 11-09-07, 10:38 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Consider as useful/necessary accessories: fan, dvd player, tv, iPod.
Good tips everyone. One good tip that Giro provided: Keep the critters away while the back wheel is spinning at 20 MPH. I had a 6-week old stray cat adopt us last week, and a spinning rear wheel would pretty much slice n' dice a one-pound animal.

Now if I can just train my German Shepherd to simulate chasing me, I could try out my Halt! spray while training.
Old 11-09-07, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Kurt Kinetic Road Machine owner here. A very happy owner, I might add.
I don't even change the skewer, if I ding it up, I ding it up. It only takes a minute -literally- to set up and offers a pretty darned good workout, I'm dripping wet at the end of an hour on it.

I just open up the garage door and face out into the street so I can watch the rain and the wind can blow in my face. I can sort of make-believe I'm actually riding somewhere

And iPod really helps, too. I just get into the music and forget I'm peddling like mad to nowhere.
Old 11-09-07, 11:45 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by tedshuck
I have a Kurt Kinetic road machine trainer and it only takes a couple of minutes to put my bike on it. Much of that time is changing the skewer to the one that came with the trainer so I don't scratch my alloy skewer. It is pretty easy to do.

Regards,
Ted
I like my Kurt! I just keep teh Kurt skewer on the bike, so I can take it on and off quickly.

Road Fan
Old 11-09-07, 11:51 AM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Kurt Kinetic owner, too. Works great, but it's hard for me to do an hour on it, just so BORING!! Guess I need to break out and get an Ipod.
Old 11-09-07, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I recently got a Kurt Road Machine. I have it set up in the basement in front of a 46" flat screen TV. I watch stuff without commercial breaks on NPR and don't get as bored as might otherwise be the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.