Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Childhood joys that still endure

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Childhood joys that still endure

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a kid I had a Schwinn Stingray Fastback. Five speed stick shift. I still think that it was the hottest bike I ever owned!

buddy
Old 11-10-07, 07:29 AM

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats a worry. Most of you Americans seem to have spent a lot of your childhood setting fire to things and blowing things up. Us europeans seem to have had a much more innocent childhood.

Jim. UK
Old 11-10-07, 07:59 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Who can resist sending a Slinky down a flight of stairs! One of my favorite memories is sliding down the banister at my grandfather's home (wasn't one of my grandmother's favorites though!). "Plunking" cans off a fence with a 22, or pellet rifle, picking grapes off of my grandfather's grapevine which wound around a trellis leading from his house to the garage out back. Taking cardboard boxes apart & using them like a sled to slide down a clay hill in W.Va. Skateboarding (when they had the hard wheels that didn't grip!). And of course, bicycling-we were using paths to go from street to street back in the latter 50's, didn't know we were "pioneers" of mtn.biking--just kids having fun!
Old 11-11-07, 01:01 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At age 14 to 16 my best memory is Kathy Kelly my sisters best friend she was a year older than me and MAN she was gorgeous can't tell you the dreams I had about her. Other than her when I was younger the smell of burning leaves in the fall and sled riding all day on the weekends. Having coffee with my mom on the back porch in the morning before my grouchy sister got up brings back good feelings too although there was more cream and sugar than coffee in the cup it was still my time with her. Sure wish she was around today to have coffee with
Old 11-15-07, 09:28 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Remember....a few small pictures.....................good hunting.
Hi Maddmaxx,

I did take some photos and will try to post them this evening. The good news is that we beat the Brits again, this time by a little over 150 laps. Team USA's Datsun 240-Z took the lead on lap 6 and never lost it .

So, not a very exciting race for DHORC (2nd place, also Datsun Z), who were chasing for 24 hrs. but a fine result for us. The troply was so large we had to disassemble it to get it in our luggage (gotta love Rolls-Royce!). The Jagermeister Camaro was 3rd, Woodgreen's Porsche 4th, . . . and I've forgotten the order after that.

Best Regs,
Rick / Team USA
Old 11-15-07, 12:18 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5460 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim1
Most of you Americans seem to have spent a lot of your childhood setting fire to things and blowing things up.
Jim. UK
Yea. That is a very accurate statement. I feel sorry for those who had deprived upbringings which left out these essential learning activities.

And don't forget killing stuff and eating it.
Old 11-15-07, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I have always loved being outside alone on the clearest and darkest nights, looking at the stars in sheer wonderment. It can still take my breath. I hope I have that feeling when I die.
+1 My kids have gotten used to the fact that on at least one night of any camping trip we will spend some time just staring at the sky. The oldest three tolerated, but the youngest (now 12) likes it as much as I do.
Old 11-16-07, 06:56 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Remember....a few small pictures.....................good hunting.
Okay Maxx,
I'm trying to add a photo, lets see if it works . . . cars before the start close up.

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 11-16-07 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 07:28 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim1
Most of you Americans seem to have spent a lot of your childhood setting fire to things and blowing things up.

In Florida, maybe it was the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs where we could watch the launch on TV and then go outside and see the rocket climb up from the horizon; or being in Ground Zero for the Cuban Missile Crisis where we got promised that we might see a real A bomb explosion in our backyard. After all, children do imitate their parents.
Old 11-17-07, 12:20 AM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camping I really liked. My brother had a canvas pup tent. Spent a few nights out in the woods. Still enjoy tenting nowdays. Then I conveted my brothers American Flyer train. Now I'm into HO scale model trains at home and at a local club. www.westcentralrr.org/
Old 11-17-07, 06:14 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With the holidays approaching I'm reminded of another simple joy.
The wonderful aroma of the holiday tree first thing in the morning.
To this day, once our Christmas tree is up in the living-room, if I
close my eyes and take in a big deep breath I can still envision
my parents house with the toys all around the tree so very, very
long ago.
Old 11-19-07, 02:18 AM

Bikes: Banshee Scirocco,Fetish Cycles Fixation(commuter),KHS FR 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+fun

I'm 56 and on my 7th mt.bike A Banshee Scirocco.I love this bike.I'm having more fun now than I did when I was 15 riding my stingray.(Sears Spyder).So it's been 41 years since I've done a wheelie until now!It's just taking a lot of practice.Oh,and a 4ft. drop off a staircase,well I never did anything like that when I was kid.
I started biking again when I was 43 I think.Much out of necessity.Because there is a park with trails behind my house I got into mt.biking.What is crazy is that my skill level is still improving.All I'm saying is you are never really too old to have fun.Some medical cases aside.Heck,I could have fun in a wheel chair!