Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Common Theme

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Common Theme

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 07:21 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Common Theme

This is NOT intended to discourage folks from riding-especially folks new to the activity!! There is nothing like the independence and exercise from being out riding.

As background, my circle of riding friends includes what I would classify as "experienced cyclists". It includes a number of "racers" and a number of folks similar to myself that ride 6000-7000 miles a year and take in several of the more challenging rides during the year. We seem to be conditioned to comparing our results to previous years and events and are either satisfied or dissatified "with the numbers". We push each other and tend to make each other better as a group-if nothing else by riding pretty hard when we're together for training rides.

Anyway, I've seen notes from more and more of my riding buddies about taking breaks from riding at all this fall. Maybe it was the extremely hot weather we endured this summer. Maybe we're getting a little older. Maybe the novelty is wearing off and we're finding or even "rekindling" old interests. Regardless I can't help but chuckle with each email I'm seeing from my cycling friends about doing shorter rides and at much more moderate paces. We're now rubbing off on each other and allowing ourselves to relax and not feel guilty about not being out on the bike.

On second thought, maybe it's a good time to be out doing some stealth training on my own........I might be more inclined if the cherry pie hadn't have called my name first!!!

Such is the pattern and cycles of riding I guess......
Old 11-13-07, 08:32 PM
Jimmy

Bikes: 5 road bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that sure hit home, in August my riding fell off . At age 62 I felt like I had hit a wall ,surely this is not the end. Thanks to my wife (also a rider) I stayed on the bike and this month my old form returned ,the bike is fun again.

" He is geting old and fat and wearing my clothes and I am afraid if I stop riding he will catch up with me."

Jimmy
Old 11-13-07, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
The cooler weather and loss of daylight savings time have taken a bite out of my mileage, not to mention this case of the krud, flu, pharphalonus or whatever it is I'm hoping to get some good miles in during Thanksgiving.
Old 11-14-07, 08:22 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This fall I have been motivated to ride more. This is the latest I have ridden in the year since I was 15 years old and it was my only mode of transportation. I have really learned to enjoy it. I also take breaks from the bike, I know they are coming and I know they won't last for ever. Enthusiasm ebs and flows and we all have our own rythm.
Old 11-14-07, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I came back to cycling 3 years ago, so everything continues to be fun. This winter, for the first time since returning to road cycling, I'll spend the whole winter building my strength and aerobic base in the gym, in addition to riding on the weekends. I may switch up a bit to some mountain biking, but I really like road cycling so much, it's tough to miss out on road riding time. Maybe as it gets colder, and the roads are bad, I'll get out in the woods. The "it won't last forever" comment is really on point. I won't be 30 again (or 40 or 50!), but it sure is fun trying to see just how good I can get.
Old 11-14-07, 08:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I backslid through Sept. and part of October, but fall rekindled things. Sometimes job and other responsibilities just elbow things aside no matter how much you resist. I doubt many people have a purely linear life as cyclist. Most of us move through cycles of rising fitness, declining fitness, rising etc. It's fun at the top, then we get distracted or things get a bit tedious-- then it's fun building back up again. Perhaps having the circumstances for having a totally cycling dedicated life would leave us with a pretty shallow life.

Saint Peter: "And what did you accomplish during your life?
Hard Core Cyclist: "Lotsa miles!"
Saint Peter: "Yes, of course, but what else? Spend afternoons with your wife? Widows? Orphans? Read any books? Learn to make a killer lasagne? Anything?
Hard Core Cyclist: "Well...er...uh....
Old 11-14-07, 08:49 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm rekindling interest in hiking, photography--heck I even bought a keyboard and can now play a mean two-fisted "Whistle While You Work" and a mangled version of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy." I'll always love cycling, buty my body just needs a break.
Old 11-14-07, 09:16 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's one of the delights of not having a car to fall back on. It keeps my riding consistent.

I dare say that after the Christmas pies, that most people will be more motivated to ride come 2008.

Last edited by Artkansas; 11-14-07 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 09:43 PM
"older than dirt"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit, I need a break, too. Just a little one. I'm glad I'm not alone.
Old 11-14-07, 09:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have been fast-walking regularly 3 miles at 6:30 am each morning. Today, my wife and I sang at an Alzheimer's Home, and we plan on doing that weekly. My singing group has several appearances scheduled during the next 2 months. I have started a new pattern/routine on my weight lifting. I have backed off of the biking a bit, due to weather and less light, and my situation with my wife and her need for me to be more "around" during the day.
Old 11-15-07, 05:58 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
No hobby is fun if it becomes work.

I used to custom paint model trains for customers untill the pressure of scheduals of manufacturing and delivery started to look like my day job.

I do not take orders for wheels or bikes anymore.....some just happen but there is no guaranteed delivery. I also stopped servicing bikes for employees at my company when it became obvious that they wanted to get a price that was too low to believe. There is nothing quite like having someone explain to you that you can have the "fun" of fixing their bike for free cause that's what you like to do.

All "hobbies" if done well seem to take on a life of their own after a while. That's when its time to step back and slow down or do something else for a while. After all, this is the 50+ forum. Don't try to be like one of the 30- fast track to the top folks that you meet at work.
Old 11-15-07, 07:49 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
I backslid through Sept. and part of October, but fall rekindled things. Sometimes job and other responsibilities just elbow things aside no matter how much you resist. I doubt many people have a purely linear life as cyclist.
I agree. I am semi-retired and do consulting work. October and the first few days of November have been very busy for me. Luckily, I like riding in the cool weather and am now piling on the miles and will continue until snow and ice temporarily stop me. Even then, I'll be back out as soon as clear pavement appears!

Old 11-15-07, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took almost 3 weeks off the bike. Sunday's 45 miler was hard. The wetherman lied as usual and it never got above 40f and the sun never got out to warm up the body. Between no daylight and the cold it is not surprising to see the mileage tank. Still no reason to get out of shape. Hit the gym or the weights or whatever. I am trying the Cyclo-Speed exercises this winter.
Old 11-15-07, 02:04 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It isn't a contest for me. I do not aspire to race. Generally, I ride alone. I am burning calories while doing something I enjoy. I log the details of every ride and note improved fitness over time. I still walk the dog. I still lift a little. I am willing to skip a ride for other priorities. My goal (not a strict requirement) is 3600 miles per year. So far this year, I am at 3240. I prefer long rides in terms of time as opposed to distance. I willingly avoid wind or hills. I also willingly tackle wind or hills. It just depends.
Old 11-16-07, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I usually start gaining weight this time of year because my appetite goes wild and it's harder to ride after work. This year, I've actually lost 8 lbs since August. I think the big factor is bike commuting. It gets me out nearly every day.

Most of my cycling buddies start scaling back their rides a lot in the fall. I keep riding. What's funny is that I start beating people up hills, while I was the one getting dropped in the summer. The sad thing is that these same people will outclimb me next summer when they get back in shape.

Bike commuting has really renewed my interest in cycling. I've built up a bike dedicated for commuting with a big seat bag, rack and lots of lights. Riding to work 3-5 days a week keeps me in shape. I'm also saving money by reducing wear-and-tear on my truck and not burning as much gas. My annual driving mileage is just about always 10,000 miles. This year it looks like it will end up about 5,000-6,000 miles.