Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Airline Fat Tax

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Airline Fat Tax

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 01:26 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airline Fat Tax

An Australian nutritionist is proposing that airlines charge more for fat people.

https://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bus...ax.tickell.cnn

It kind of makes sense...fat people cost the airlines more in terms of fuel, so why not?

Towards the end of the interview, he proposes what I think is a valid proposal - that when you check in for your flight, you and your luggage are weighed together. If you're over a set limit (he suggests 120 kilos), then you would be assessed an extra fee for being overweight.

He also proposes that governments stop subsidizing agricultural products that make us fat (e.g., corn and wheat), and start subsidizing fruits and vegetables instead.

Interesting stuff....
Old 11-14-07, 01:46 PM
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
To put this into perspective, a 757 will hold 240 passengers.

Let's suppose they are all 30# overweight. That's 7,200#

The max takeoff weight of a 757 is 270,000#

(7,200#/270,000#)*100 = 2.7% Not very much.

I think the airlines just want to cram the seats closer together, if this is possible.

Forgive my sarcasm, I'm 6'2"
Old 11-14-07, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell you what, you spend some time being singled out for your weight or how you look or just because someone with a tiny bit of power doesn't like you and then tell us how valid the proposal is.
Old 11-14-07, 01:53 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eubi
To put this into perspective, a 757 will hold 240 passengers.

Let's suppose they are all 30# overweight. That's 7,200#

The max takeoff weight of a 757 is 270,000#

(7,200#/270,000#)*100 = 2.7% Not very much.

I think the airlines just want to cram the seats closer together, if this is possible.

Forgive my sarcasm, I'm 6'2"
I kind of doubt they could cram them any closer together than they already are!

As for the 2.7% - the airlines already operate on pretty thin margins (excuse the pun), and it takes more fuel to haul a plane full of Sumo wrestlers than a plane full of triathletes.

However, given political correctness, and the normalization of obesity, I doubt the airlines or the government will do anything about it. In effect, thin folks will be subsidizing the extra costs associated with fat folks (something that already happens with health insurance, for instance).
Old 11-14-07, 01:54 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Be careful what people wish for. Everyone has some characteristic that could be charged for somewhere!

Oh by the way a 2.7% increase in takeoff weight is a very large amount of $ in fuel burn and paying passenger capacity.
Old 11-14-07, 01:57 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Be careful what people wish for. Everyone has some characteristic that could be charged for somewhere!

Oh by the way a 2.7% increase in takeoff weight is a very large amount of $ in fuel burn and paying passenger capacity.
Or subsidize...I should get a subsidy for being bald!
Old 11-14-07, 01:59 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Or subsidize...I should get a subsidy for being bald!
How about a subsidy on sensitivity (or lack thereof)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-14-07, 02:00 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marrock
Tell you what, you spend some time being singled out for your weight or how you look or just because someone with a tiny bit of power doesn't like you and then tell us how valid the proposal is.
If implemented properly, it would be no different than the overweight luggage surcharge that is standard on international flights.

You could be overweight due to your luggage, or your spare tire, or both. But, "you" wouldn't be singled out...you'd just be surcharged because your total mass on the airplane was over limit.

Presumably it wouldn't be called a "fat surcharge" or a "fat tax"...something more politically correct like "weight limit surcharge".

Last edited by SSP; 11-14-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 02:07 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

He also proposes that governments stop subsidizing agricultural products that make us fat (e.g., corn and wheat), and start subsidizing fruits and vegetables instead.

Interesting stuff....
It's not the corn and wheat that make us fat, it's the way we prepare it. People have been known to make vegetables fattening also.....deep fried cauliflower, etc

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-14-07, 02:15 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
It's not the corn and wheat that make us fat, it's the way we prepare it. People have been known to make vegetables fattening also.....deep fried cauliflower, etc
Yeah, but it just seems really weird that with obesity skyrocketing in this country, we're subsidizing farmers to grow corn, wheat, and tobacco, but not fruits and veggies.
Old 11-14-07, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People would look for ways around it like every other stupid rule/law out there. Give your luggage to your children, they have to have a valid ticket as well. This rule would also slow down check-in even further, as every passenger would have to be weighed. I think the current rule, If you need two seats/pay for it, is adequate.
Old 11-14-07, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
People that are overweight don't cost the airplane more in terms of fuel, either for taking off or keeping it airborne. The airlines must want to weigh the passengers so they can take more "freight" in the baggage hold and charge companies for transporting that freight, by getting closer to a maximum limit for the plane.
Old 11-14-07, 02:53 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dipy911
People would look for ways around it like every other stupid rule/law out there. Give your luggage to your children, they have to have a valid ticket as well. This rule would also slow down check-in even further, as every passenger would have to be weighed. I think the current rule, If you need two seats/pay for it, is adequate.
I am a slim 150lb (70kgs) at 5'6" My riding mate is 220 lbs at 6'7" He is quite slim for his weight but at 100kgs-he wouldn't be taking much luggage.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-14-07, 02:57 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
People that are overweight don't cost the airplane more in terms of fuel, either for taking off or keeping it airborne. The airlines must want to weigh the passengers so they can take more "freight" in the baggage hold and charge companies for transporting that freight, by getting closer to a maximum limit for the plane.
Extra weight costs fuel. This is one of the basic rules of jet engine disign and performance.....and cost. It also explains why airlines have limited flight crew weights in the past. Flight attendent unions have had some very interesting disagreements with the airlines.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 11-14-07 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 03:10 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
I kind of doubt they could cram them any closer together than they already are!
Never flown on Japan Airlines (JAL) eh!
Old 11-14-07, 03:58 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Never flown on Japan Airlines (JAL) eh!
Thankfully...no. If it's tighter than standard US coach, that sounds like a nightmare (especially given the length of those flights!).
Old 11-14-07, 04:34 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Then there is the entire problem of being crowded in coach (or a theatre) by an exceptionally wide person in the next seat.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-14-07, 04:45 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aircraft are rated at gross weight for takeoff, and some for maximum landing weights which is less because they burn off fuel during the flight. Those weights are carefully calculated and are CRITICAL for safety. Lately there have been a couple of accidents (all fatal) that were thought to be due to uncontrollability, or at least contributed to uncontrolability, because people entering aircraft are all assumed by the FAA to be the same weight for simplicity. They are increasing the "average" weight of passengers because of this, which will reduce the total number of passengers in some smaller aircraft and in the future for large ones.
So to say that passenger's weight is not important is incorrect.
Old 11-14-07, 04:46 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by SSP
If implemented properly, it would be no different than the overweight luggage surcharge that is standard on international flights.

You could be overweight due to your luggage, or your spare tire, or both. But, "you" wouldn't be singled out...you'd just be surcharged because your total mass on the airplane was over limit.

Presumably it wouldn't be called a "fat surcharge" or a "fat tax"...something more politically correct like "weight limit surcharge".
Bad idea, as other posters have pointed out. Size does not equal fat. Tall folks would pay the charge just like your hypothetical "spare tire" carrier. According to your proposed 'rule', every NBA team would need to pay a surcharge. Or are you going to require body-fat composition screenings before selling tickets?

Old 11-14-07, 04:48 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
How about a subsidy on sensitivity (or lack thereof)
Why cut into my market, Tom?

Old 11-14-07, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whew! This whole discussion is way too heavy for me.
Old 11-14-07, 05:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dancing around the delicate issue of the moral stigma attached to being....obese. Today on NPR, one nutritional expert cited half the world's population as being seriously overweight; he considered this the greatest threat to humanity-- greater than anything Al Gore describes. I teach in a low income area. Most of my parents (and many of their kids) are overweight and have little concern/knowledge of nutrition. (No ma'am, Hot Cheetohs and pepperoni sticks are not a dinner staple.) For cultural, social, economic, genetic, and personal reasons-- some controllable and some not-- people become fat.

Does attaching a stigma, mild or otherwise, help? Dunno. How should obese people be judged--or not judged? Dunno.

But, the meathook reality is that fat costs a person (and their children) health, quality of life, money, self-esteem, and dignity. Others also pay the indirect cost form health care costs to .......jet fuel.
Old 11-14-07, 06:34 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Dancing around the delicate issue of the moral stigma attached to being....obese. Today on NPR, one nutritional expert cited half the world's population as being seriously overweight; he considered this the greatest threat to humanity-- greater than anything Al Gore describes. I teach in a low income area. Most of my parents (and many of their kids) are overweight and have little concern/knowledge of nutrition. (No ma'am, Hot Cheetohs and pepperoni sticks are not a dinner staple.) For cultural, social, economic, genetic, and personal reasons-- some controllable and some not-- people become fat.

Does attaching a stigma, mild or otherwise, help? Dunno. How should obese people be judged--or not judged? Dunno.

But, the meathook reality is that fat costs a person (and their children) health, quality of life, money, self-esteem, and dignity. Others also pay the indirect cost form health care costs to .......jet fuel.
I've been attacked before for suggesting that for most people the reasons they became fat are within their power to control, so I won't argue the point here. I don't suggest applying a stigma to obesity, but I do suggest educating people that obesity is a lifestyle choice, and a lousy one at that. The best way to do this is to emphasize that it IS a choice, and that fat people are NOT victims. Take it from a recovering fat person.

Neil
was 385/now 255/will be 220

Old 11-14-07, 07:00 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the reasonable policy I have seen is that if the person can't put the arm rest down beside them when sitting in a seat they have to buy two tickets. It's not weight related but girth related. As a frequent flyer I think this is reasonable, although as I walk onto a plane I am always hopeing I don't get the seat next to the big people and hopeing for the seat next to the thin hotty - the latter NEVER happens.
Old 11-14-07, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we follow through with the logic, couldn't we also say that a heavier vehicle causes more wear and tear on the roads. Hence, there should be a "fat tax" on any bicycle weighing over 16 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.