Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally, photos of my new child...

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-18-07, 10:03 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ain't she pretty!!!!

After I put some miles on these wheels they'll probably be replaced; looking at getting a pair of Mavic ES wheels down the road. I wouldn’t mind having a FSA K-wing handlebar (or something similar) eventually either. I have some red/white splash bar tape that I think will spruce her up just a bit after the white gets worn. Other than that I like her the way she is.

Since I ride to work I do need some cold weather gear. I tried to use some of the basic winter gear I have and I was sweating like crazy; the stuff I have definitely doesn’t breath. Any suggestions??? I'm in the SE so the gear doesn't need to be crazy warm, it just needs to breathe well.

Last edited by MulliganAl; 11-18-07 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 12:08 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't see the pictures try it again
Old 11-18-07, 12:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
B E A U T I F U L !!!
Old 11-18-07, 02:33 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Looks fast just satanding still!
NICE!
Old 11-18-07, 03:36 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. Little teeny saddle. The K-Wings and splash tape sound good, too.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 11-18-07, 03:53 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GEE - Got one just like it! I replaced the saddle as I found it wretched on anything longer than a 15 mile ride. I changed the wheels to Easton Orion IIs. Other than adding a wedge bag and a bottle cage I have left mine as is. I see you have the double chain ring, I got the triple - so far I am glad I did. Even though it climbs well there are a few hills here where a triple is real nice.

I rode 30 miles on it today, the temps were in the mid 30s. I wore a pair of ski socks (moderate weight poly), my new Descente show covers over my bike shoes, long stretch bike pants with a pair of reqular weather bike shorts over them, a coolmax long sleeve top, a long sleeve bike shirt and a fleece North face wind stopper jacket, fleece gloves and them my regular bike gloves, I had a fleece beenie under my helmet. This kept me warm while I was working, if I stopped I would get cold. Except for the north face jacket all of this stuff can be had cheap at places like campmor, EMS, REI, etc. You need to find what works for you.
Old 11-18-07, 03:57 PM
kk4df

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. I kinda like where you've mounted the pump; mine is on the seat tube, and I never thought about mounting on the left chainstay. I'd consider removing the dork disk, as long as you're sure the RD limit is properly adjusted.
Old 11-19-07, 06:38 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to alarm you, but I see a few safety problems with your bike. Just to make sure you're safe, you should send the bike to me for a week or so, and I'll fix the problem spots.
Old 11-19-07, 06:47 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike.

I've seen quite a bit of the white bar tape on new bikes. I doubt I could keep it clean after a couple rides

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-19-07, 07:22 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Beautiful background with the fall colors and the pavers and wooden fence. Since you ride to work, you probably have a backpack, right? The pump on that beautiful frame doesn't do it justice. Would you consider putting the pump in the backpack?
Old 11-19-07, 07:47 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Beautiful background with the fall colors and the pavers and wooden fence. Since you ride to work, you probably have a backpack, right? The pump on that beautiful frame doesn't do it justice. Would you consider putting the pump in the backpack?
Garfield, you are so right, I'm going to take it off today. I tried to attach it to one of the bottle connectors but the pump is just a tiny bit too long, it also didn't look very nice there either. I normally carry a small backpack that will work fine for the pump; I'm also getting a CO2 pump for my mini saddle bag (not shown) for those times when I don't carry the backpack.

The weather here in Atlanta has been just perfect for cycling, in fact I end up putting on too many layers thinking it's going to be cold outside; our cold time is coming though.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-19-07, 08:14 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's something about those Specialized road bikes I love, beautiful bike MulliganAl, have fun.
Old 11-19-07, 11:35 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Is that the Toupe saddle in the picture? I love the way the look but like you, about 60 miles I all I can handle on one.
Old 11-19-07, 12:58 PM
MulliganAl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Is that the Toupe saddle in the picture? I love the way the look but like you, about 60 miles I all I can handle on one.
Yup, it's the stock Toupe saddle and so far it's not too bad but then again I've only been riding around town, no 60 mile trips on it yet.
Old 11-19-07, 01:18 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate you.

But it gives me a chance to ask: I've wondered about riding a more "aggressive" bike as a 50+er vs. the more relaxed Roubaix, OCR, & Pilot. Have you (and others) always been more flexible than the average bear? Are you a former or current racer? Did you have fit and comfort adjustment issues as a result of the more aggressive geometry?

As you see from my sig my current bike is an OCR. I've swapped the stock adjustable stem for a 7 deg. fixed stem and a lower handlbar position but a shorter reach. So far so good.
Old 11-19-07, 02:41 PM
LynnH

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a beauty!
Old 11-19-07, 02:44 PM
MulliganAl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
I hate you.

But it gives me a chance to ask: I've wondered about riding a more "aggressive" bike as a 50+er vs. the more relaxed Roubaix, OCR, & Pilot. Have you (and others) always been more flexible than the average bear? Are you a former or current racer? Did you have fit and comfort adjustment issues as a result of the more aggressive geometry?
I guess I'm lucky because I've been playing tennis since I was a 13, have been playing golf for about 10 years now and have been inline skating for over 15 years. Since all these sports require a good amount of flexibility I don't have any problems with the more aggressive geometry; I actually enjoy the position since it's somewhat similar to an inline skating position. I must admit I'm only 48 but will be 49 in March, but I like handing in the 50+ forum since there seem to be some pretty cool folks in here.
Old 11-19-07, 03:08 PM
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike! I am sure that you will have a lot of fun riding it.

I think that a lot of the "comfort" level with a bike depends on the way a person is built as well. I see that your handlebars are about level with the seat. You must have a normal inseam to height ratio. I have a very long inseam (35 inches) relative to my height (5' 9"), so my bars are 4 inches below my seat on my 54cm Roubaix. That's with the stem angled up. I went with a slightly larger frame, 56cm, on my new Lynskey so I only have a 3 inch drop.

Best Regards,
Ted
Old 11-19-07, 03:30 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the bike! I have the same bar end mirror on my Fuji Roubaix Pro and find it very useful, yet 'attractive'.

Mark
Old 11-19-07, 03:40 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl View Post
I must admit I'm only 48 but will be 49 in March, but I like handing in the 50+ forum since there seem to be some pretty cool folks in here.
The mere fact that you "admit" you're only 48 -- as opposed to bragging about it -- gains you early entrance.
Old 11-19-07, 04:05 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
Wow! Looks fast just satanding still!
NICE!
Did I hear someone say..............satan?

Were you trying to subliminally infer that satan would ride a red Tarmac?

Damn that's a killer bike!
Old 11-19-07, 04:08 PM
MulliganAl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_MarkD View Post
Love the bike! I have the same bar end mirror on my Fuji Roubaix Pro and find it very useful, yet 'attractive'. Mark
The bar end mirrors are kinda' cool looking aren't they Mark. I tried the mirror on the glasses but I was never comfortable with it. I like being able to just look down at the mirror, especially at night when there's a good bit of traffic.

Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
The mere fact that you "admit" you're only 48 -- as opposed to bragging about it -- gains you early entrance.
Thanks Paulie....
Old 11-19-07, 04:35 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_MarkD View Post
Love the bike! I have the same bar end mirror on my Fuji Roubaix Pro and find it very useful, yet 'attractive'.

Mark
I'm going to get one of those, thanks for pointing it out, or I would have never seen it, it looks good.
Old 11-19-07, 04:38 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hot. Very hot.
Old 11-19-07, 05:17 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not much not to like about that beauty. How fast is it going in that picture?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.