Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Which bike -- need help?

Old 11-21-07, 12:45 PM
steve91562

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike -- need help?

My search for a back friendly bike continues.

I have two in mind now. One has a 73 degree angles with a 55 cm top tube and 17 cm head tube (Serrota Fierte in sz. 56 cm). And the other has a 74 degree STA ans 73 degree HTA witha 55 cm top tube and a 22 cm head tube (Lightspeed Sportive in sz. M/L). My question is which bike will give me a more upright riding position assuming proper saddle fore/aft position?

I never did understand all this angle stuff.

Unfortunately, my LBS don't have these types of bikes to sit on and try.

Or maybe I should just rebuild that old Colnago I have in the garage from my racing days in the 80's and put one of those long quil stems on it. That's 54 or 55 cm c to c.
Old 11-21-07, 12:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Since the top tube length and head tube angles are the same, I'd think that, assuming everything else is the same, the bike with the taller head tube would yield a more upright riding position.

It sounds to me like you're building up a brand new frame. If that's the case, I'd think that you could mess with the headset stack spacers and stem length to make both bikes exactly match. Honestly, I think that before I put down any money on a custom frame I'd build up the Colnago with a techtronic stem and see if I could make it feel good. Then I'd use what I'd learned from the Colnago to make the new bike either exactly match or compensate what I didn't like about the Colnago.
Old 11-21-07, 01:15 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
It sounds to me like you're building up a brand new frame. If that's the case, I'd think that you could mess with the headset stack spacers and stem length to make both bikes exactly match. Honestly, I think that before I put down any money on a custom frame I'd build up the Colnago with a techtronic stem and see if I could make it feel good. Then I'd use what I'd learned from the Colnago to make the new bike either exactly match or compensate what I didn't like about the Colnago.
If a new frame then an uncut steerer on the Fork will allow you plenty of Spacers to put the bars as high as you like but have to agree with Retro. If you have bike that used to fit- Try it with a higher stem and see if it is OK. That will cost you a new stem and a couple of hours work- What price a new bike that may not be suitable?

Spike Milligan
Old 11-21-07, 05:54 PM
Danddd
Boffo Bikin'

Bikes: '04 Litespeed Classic 9sp Dura-ace, '03 Specialized Sequoia(for the gravel trails around DuPage Cty), '75 Fuji Finest (deep navy w/mixed components), '94 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I re-built my '72 Fuji Finest to be more comfortable. I added Nitto Technomic stem from Rivendell and the Nitto Noodle bars. This allowed the handlebars to be higher than the seat which I changed to a Brooks B17. This made the Fuji more comfortable than the Specialized Sequoia, which is a comfort road bike. I had bought the Specialized for the gravel trails around here.

I think it is definitely worth a try on the Colnago.
Old 11-21-07, 06:03 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup, get the Colnago working for you, do a lot of miles on her and then go for the new bike. That's what happened with my Europa - I forgot or just failed to understand what made her such a long loved bike. The new bike I bought 'fixed perceived problems', and has now been pulled apart to build a new bike that is a modern version of the old Europa.

Give the Colnago a birthday. Even when you get the new bike, you'll still be able to go for long rides on the old girl.

Richard
Old 11-21-07, 07:16 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference in seat tube angle could mean a 1cm adjustment to your saddle fore/aft to achieve an indentical position.

If you're riding a 73 now, and you choose the 74 bike, you will have to slide the seat backwards, effectively increasing the TT length and extending your position. That might not be ideal in achieving a more upright position. The longer head tube will help though.

The best bet is to plan on using the maximum number of spacers (typically 25MM for a carbon steerer) and a stem with a strong upward angle. A head tube extension would benefit as well. Choosing a fork with a steel or alloy steerer might be a good idea too - they can take far more spacers.
Old 11-22-07, 07:17 AM
steve91562

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe my old frame is too small for this worn out body of mine.
Old 11-22-07, 10:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by steve91562 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe my old frame is too small for this worn out body of mine.
I understand. The concept, however, is to use your existing bike as a test mule to determine exactly what you need before you lay out your money for a new bike frame.
Old 11-22-07, 10:23 AM
abqhudson
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
74 STA is too steep for a normal road bike.

My opinion cause - I had a 73.5 seat tube angle and I constantly had to fiddle with my seat. It rode so far back that it constantly needed to be readjusted - back kept moving down by the leverage and the seat was not centered on the clamp. I wouldn't go higher than 73 for a normal road bike STA. Now for time trials - that's a different story - although I don't understand why.
Old 11-22-07, 10:25 AM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned this the hard way too, with my one and only 74STA bike.

Not bad in that it increased the TTL, but getting the seat back far enough to satisfy my knees was very hard. Never again, 73 is my standard now.
Old 11-22-07, 10:30 AM
late

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 8606 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Call Waterford. They will make you exactly what you want that fits exactly the way you need it.

Price is in the same ballpark as the others.