Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

To eliminate all chances, to lube chain or not?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

To eliminate all chances, to lube chain or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what I'm reading is my new chain that is now 1 year old, with over 2500 miles, should have been cleaned and lube by now. Next you will be saying I should check tyre pressure every week. This is way too much stress.
Old 11-24-07, 07:58 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by knotty
Something I don't understand about soaking chain in melted wax.

When the hot wax cools in the chain, it becomes a solid and does not continue to flow onto the wearing surfaces. So, I can't see how the wearing surfaces are continually refreshed with fresh wax. Doesn't the wearing surfaces soon become lacking of the wax and be rubbing bare metal to metal?

Otherwise, I like the non-dust attracting qualities of wax.

knotty
Under pressure (caused by the load on the chain) inside the roller/pin the wax liquifies in a manner similar to the way ice liquifies under an ice skate blade. This is enough to maintain a thin film of lubrication. As long as the load bearing capacity of the lube is not exceeded then no metal to metal contact will happen. In the meantime, the wax on the outside of the roller seams keeps dirt from entering into the inside of the chain. Grit inside the assembly will exceed (because of its very small contact area) the load bearing ability of the lube and damage the metal.
Old 11-24-07, 08:21 PM
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks maddmaxx, got it. I may try the wax, what the heck, I have a new block of paraffin wax and everything needed. That oily black paste that covers the chain now is bothersome.

I just was searching and found this site.

Last edited by knotty; 11-24-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-25-07, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Boeshield T-9 has the oil and wax like characteristics.
Old 11-25-07, 08:47 AM
Lost in Nostalgia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Boeshield T-9 has the oil and wax like characteristics.
That's what the LBS mechanic tells me too. I haven't tried it yet because I have two gallons I can't find somewhere in the basement my machinist dad had.

knotty
Old 11-26-07, 06:44 AM

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Run more than one chain?

IMO, the factory stuff is too sticky&messy; I may or may not run it... it doesn't matter much, for I clean&lube after each ride, excepting when the dust is down, then every other ride, for I ride off road.

Usually not, though, because the chain becomes a club with all the dirt and yuck.

Since we run three or four chains per sproket set on our chain saws, I do the same on my mountain bike. I think three chains is about right, but, since I'm lazy, the next drivetrain refresh I might run four.

The first time I replaced a chain (having returned to biking after some 25 yrs...), it "stretched" a lot faster than the first one; the third chain "stretched" all the faster. So, when the cassette was "toast," hence time to replace the whole setup, thought it made sense to wear out three chains and the gears all together instead of one chain at a time.

I've no idea what an appropriate chain/gears ratio would be on a road bike, where there is much less grit, and, perhaps less stress, on account of the hills being generally less steep and rough.

Jt seems to be working well; the current set has > 3K on it, and although showing signs of wear, it has a way to go yet.

I wash, brush, rinse, and repeat with Simple Green, then rinse in alcohol to hasten drying before applying ProLink Gold. It seems to persist better than FinishLine and Purple Extreme, but they both have strong points, IMO.

Conserving the Simple Green by allowing the dirt/grit to settle out, then pouring off to reuse is "green," eh? At least for the first wash.

I'll advise against cleaning/washing on the bike - water is bad! Get the link.
Old 11-26-07, 10:06 AM
Lost in Nostalgia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I asked a couple more mechanics at the LBS's about the factory chain coating. They both told me the original coating that comes with new chains is basically a protective coating that also has lubricating properties but it's main function is to preserve and keep looking new the chains while in storage. In fact, one of them told me, shifting difficulties are possible with the thick factory coating which is exactly what happened to me.

So, I used multiple applications of brake cleaner and took off every bit of the old lube whatever it is/was, blew it dry with compressed air and applied sparingly, Boeshield T-9 which was highly recommended by more than a few LBS mechanics. (thanks for reminding me Garfield Cat about the T-9 properties)

knotty
Old 11-26-07, 12:01 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knotty
Well, I asked a couple more mechanics at the LBS's about the factory chain coating. They both told me the original coating that comes with new chains is basically a protective coating that also has lubricating properties but it's main function is to preserve and keep looking new the chains while in storage. In fact, one of them told me, shifting difficulties are possible with the thick factory coating which is exactly what happened to me.
knotty
I'm agreeing with the mechanics, but it could be that different manufacturers use different stuff on new chains, so we may all be getting carried away with our recommendations. In my own case, though, the few new chains I have seen were covered with something so thick and sticky, I assumed it was cosmoline, which is commonly used to prevent rust and corrosion on new metal parts, and if it wasn't, it was still way thicker and stickier than anything I want on my chains.
Old 11-26-07, 03:04 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Invest in a chain cleaning tool
My chain cleaning tool of choice: a can of WD40, shop towels and newspapers to catch the drips. Let it dry a couple of hours and give each link a drop or two of ProLink Gold. After each ride, soak a shop towel with PLGold and wipe down the chain.

I've heard good things about that Boeshield T9 product too... but am not sure where to find it.

For those of you who use one of those chain scrubbers... does it tend to gunk up your cassette with the cleaning solution?
Old 11-26-07, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Knotty: re: hot wax method.
If you wax your auto, your hand will slip over the surface oh-so-smoothly after you're done. Eventually that smoothness will disappear due to exposure to the elements.
Same with the hot wax method; the wax allows frictionless movement of the roller pins. Yes, eventually you have to re-wax.
Riding a tandem puts more stress/torque/wear on chain and we normally will get 6,000+ miles out of drivechain and even more on the cross-over chain.
We do live in the desert southwest with less rain/crud, but we do have lots of dust/grit than will shorten chain life. We can go 1,000 to 2,000 miles between re-waxings, or at the slightest 'squeak' from the chain(s). We are a bit fussy about cleanliness and chains do get wiped down with plain rag occasionally.
Even used the hot wax method when we lived in Michigan and had to do a bit more frequent re-waxing, depending on weather conditions.
A side benefit is to be able to handle/grab a chain and not end up with cruddy/greasy hands!
However, lots of choices for lube$ out there!
Just our preference/experience.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatadenm
Old 11-26-07, 05:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Boeshield T-9 is good stuff for all sorts of uses, like protecting airplane components as Boeing originally developed it to do. I have used it to protect the inside of steel bike frames.
It does make good chain lube/protectant. I've been using Pro-Link for a few years and it works very well for me at keeping the chain clean and quiet. I'm sure wax works great, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle when there are easier ways that work well. I'm not very anal about chain care. I just want it clean and quiet. The less I have to work to keep it that way, the better.
Old 11-26-07, 06:51 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do recommend ProLink as a lube. Tried everything else but ProLink seems to work the best. Most of my bike shop mechanic friends swear by ProLink.